DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking To Add Audio To My Mavic Zoom Video

JDFMavic

Reactions
Can anyone suggest a wireless system that I can purchase to add audio to my video that won't break the bank? I'm a newbie who would have to improve some to call myself an armature in cinematography. My son is getting married at a weekend outdoor venue and I thought it would be nice to capture the moment with my Mavic. I still have a lot to learn, but hopefully I can make a video they can enjoy watching. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
You'll want to capture your aerial footage first, then download it to your computer, and finally, you'll edit it on your computer and add in the music. If you're using a Mac, iMovie is a simple editing app that's included with the Mac. With a PC you'll need to get some type of basic editing software. No need to worry about audio during flight.

I got the impression that the OP is talking about a system that would let him capture speech not just added music.... either way it might easier to record the audio and then sync it up to the video later on a PC while editing.

My plan was to have the audio (voice) recording while I am taking video of the guests at the reception. Either mic my son up or place a handheld mic near where the people are gathered. Wouldn't that be easier to have it sync up as I'm recording. I know next than nothing about mixing or syncing in post. I'm using an ipad mini with my controller and I have a PC.

You can embed audio to the cache video with a setting on the Go4 app, but there's no provision to natively add audio to the video being recorded to the storage on the AC (internal or SD).
The cache could help syncing the audio when transferring it from cache video to the high res video during post.

As for connecting an external mic, that depends on the capabilities of the mobile device.

I tried using the internal mic in the Ipad while recording video and it seem to work fine. So won't that show up as a audio file with the video if I use the DJI Go4 app to create a video? The ipad can accept a 3.5 jack to connect a wired mic. But going wired, seems kind of a difficult way to go.

I have been searching YT, but I had hoped someone here might have done what I'm trying to accomplish and can advise as to which set-up works well without spending $700 or more.

Can anyone tell me if this set-up will accomplish what I'm trying to do?: Sennheiser EW100 G2 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Kit Lav Mic A Band 518-554 Mhz | eBay

Last edited:
The sennheiser e2 is a wireless lavalier, they’re used for things like interviews etc, the receiver usually connects to a preamp/recorder. Not sure where $700 came from, you’d be fine with the $50 Rode one that I linked to. A lav mic is much much better than using the iPad internal mic to record so you’re on the right track :)

Can we assume you are talking about using your mavic as a camera and not flying it during the ceremony, you did not make that clear?

You don't need to get a Rode or Sennheiser, there are a few quite good mics for just about $30 take a look at youtube for some user testing videos to see the best one, but time is of the essence here for you. The best thing to do is record from start to finish if you are after the vows section, so that you have all the audio, then you can cut between scenes if you walk around with your mavic camera filming. Hold still for sections then move and hold still again.

Make a noise like a clap at the start so you know where to sync your sound as the video starts when editing. Then when you come to edit, the sound can stay and you just cut in and out of the video, leaving out the moving about to a new view point parts of the video, not the slow moving you may wish to keep in. The sections you cut out, you can fill back in with still shots, like close ups of the ring exchange, which you can take close after the ceremony. that way you have the video and sound synced plus you won't have any blank spots because you will fill those with still shots taken by others.

My original thought was to record the activities prior to and after the ceremony. As I mentioned, the venue is being held outdoors over a weekend. They have different events planned for the gusts to participate in to keep them entertained.

However, filming the ceremony with the drone in hand sounds like a good idea. Although, I suppose I would need to lock the gimbal and carry around the controller to view what I'm recording.

No don't lock the gimbal, it has to be free to be smooth on the video. I used mine as a carry around, it works well. You would not want to fly it because you will cause a noise that distracts during the wedding and you may have a failure that would cause it to fall on people and that would be a disaster of a wedding for your child. Film flying before hand to get the perspective by all means but too risky and distracting during the ceremony. You could always get all the... "Gusts" lined up on one side and the married couple in front of them, then get a closer shot while hovering, of them kissing and then go back and up away from them all while filming and all the guests can wave as you climb out. Then stop filming and get a still shot of the whole scene.

Walking around with it as a steady cam makes for some great smooth filming. I bought a little clamp handle that holds a cell phone too for about $8 on ebay. But you can just guess as to where the camera is pointing, it will be fine.

Reactions: W2EJ
you can use a site like soundbible to match sounds for your scene in post production, there are also a ton of freelance audio designers who just go out and record sounds and upload them for free, check out a few communities on the web

I suppose there's no way around me learning to edit in post. Is soundbite a user friendly app that an old guy with virtually no editing experience can learn?

So CYMRUFLYER, how do I get the camera to point where I want it if I don't lock the gimbal? Won't it just float all over the place? Sorry if these are stupid questions. This is all new to me. BTW nice pick-up on the "gusts" lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada