DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking to fly together! Mass

Luciano Campos

Reactions
Hi, I live in Woburn MA,
If you live around the area please contact me so we can arrange to fly together, recently got a Mavic 2 Pro and
would like to know good places to fly the drone with peace of mind. Also if there is a whatsapp group to keep in touch
please let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: Mistretta
Welcome and good luck.... you are very close to Hanscom but outside of the Boston Class B.

To fly anywhere near you is a challenge.

I like Wakefield, specifically the Town Common early in the day.

A great place to try out different modes, including the POI feature using the gazebo, and photographing the church next door.

I want to go to Marblehead and try to get the lighthouse and the harbor
DJI_0235.JPGDJI_0239.JPG

Reactions: jah65 and freddyj
Hi, I live in Woburn MA,
If you live around the area please contact me so we can arrange to fly together, recently got a Mavic 2 Pro and
would like to know good places to fly the drone with peace of mind. Also if there is a whatsapp group to keep in touch
please let me know. Thanks!
Hey man! I live in Framingham and also looking for some nice place to fly and learn more about drones, editing videos.

hey guys, im in Billerica, been watching our High School fields under construction. I've only been flying about a week with Air2

Welcome and good luck.... you are very close to Hanscom but outside of the Boston Class B.

To fly anywhere near you is a challenge.

I like Wakefield, specifically the Town Common early in the day.

A great place to try out different modes, including the POI feature using the gazebo, and photographing the church next door.

I want to go to Marblehead and try to get the lighthouse and the harbor
View attachment 48915View attachment 48916
I've been able to get authorizations in Boston. Actually on property abutting the taxiway at Logan, I'm glad to help others try to obtain similar authorzations/waivers.

Reactions: freddyj
I've been able to get authorizations in Boston. Actually on property abutting the taxiway at Logan, I'm glad to help others try to obtain similar authorzations/waivers.

Hi Oliver, i would be very interested in this if you are willing to steer me in the right direction. i work in Chelsea, MA about 2 miles from Logan Airport

Hi Oliver, i would be very interested in this if you are willing to steer me in the right direction. i work in Chelsea, MA about 2 miles from Logan Airport
Sure thing! Chelsea, huh? Yeah, that will be looked at closely. A couple questions:
  1. Will this be recreational or commercial?
  2. Do you have specific locations you're wanting to take images or video of?
  3. Do you happen to have - or are you willing to purchase - anti-collision lighting? It's not too expensive, I think you can get some for like $50-ish.
The first step is to go to the FAA's DroneZone and if you don't have an account set one up. This is where you apply for waivers or (in your case) airspace authorization. This is also where you register your drone.

After you register the unit you're going to want to get some labels for your drone with the FAA registration number. I bought mine from Slickwraps, I think they were $10 shipped.

In your authorization application you're going to want to be very specific about the flight. The more details the better. Things I recommend you include are:
  • The drone is registered and has registration numbers on it.
  • That you have the anti-collision lighting.
  • Where the drone will be and the radius of the flight (they only let you go down to 1/10th of a mi radius, you will want to put it into the description that it will be less if it is)
  • Maximum flight altitude (for my authorization approval right beside the taxi way, I had to have a ceiling of 50' ft. Very low for sure, but it was enough for me to get what the client wanted)
  • Protocols for what happens if you loose control connection: this is where you explain the drone will automatically return to home under GPS guidance and what the RTH altitude will be).
  • I also include an image of the site where I'm going to be. I just draw a polygon in Google Earth and grab a screenshot.
AFTER you get authorization in this area, you need to then tell DJI to unlock your controller. This is a stupid step in my opinion. It's like Ford not letting you go over the speed limit: they're not the governing body, they should stay out of it /rant. In any case, you need to go to DJI's custom unlock and submit your request for your remote to be unlocked for the day/time you're intending to fly. It doesn't' take long, usually a few hours but I do it days before to make sure I'm all set. They'll want to see your FAA authorization document before unlocking your remote control.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not too bad. I have found getting someone from the FAA on the phone can help a lot with the process. When you submit an application you'll get an email from the person reviewing, feel free to call them. They're very helpful. They want you to fly, but they also want to make sure you're being safe around others.

Sure thing! Chelsea, huh? Yeah, that will be looked at closely. A couple questions:
  1. Will this be recreational or commercial?
  2. Do you have specific locations you're wanting to take images or video of?
  3. Do you happen to have - or are you willing to purchase - anti-collision lighting? It's not too expensive, I think you can get some for like $50-ish.
The first step is to go to the FAA's DroneZone and if you don't have an account set one up. This is where you apply for waivers or (in your case) airspace authorization. This is also where you register your drone.

After you register the unit you're going to want to get some labels for your drone with the FAA registration number. I bought mine from Slickwraps, I think they were $10 shipped.

In your authorization application you're going to want to be very specific about the flight. The more details the better. Things I recommend you include are:
  • The drone is registered and has registration numbers on it.
  • That you have the anti-collision lighting.
  • Where the drone will be and the radius of the flight (they only let you go down to 1/10th of a mi radius, you will want to put it into the description that it will be less if it is)
  • Maximum flight altitude (for my authorization approval right beside the taxi way, I had to have a ceiling of 50' ft. Very low for sure, but it was enough for me to get what the client wanted)
  • Protocols for what happens if you loose control connection: this is where you explain the drone will automatically return to home under GPS guidance and what the RTH altitude will be).
  • I also include an image of the site where I'm going to be. I just draw a polygon in Google Earth and grab a screenshot.
AFTER you get authorization in this area, you need to then tell DJI to unlock your controller. This is a stupid step in my opinion. It's like Ford not letting you go over the speed limit: they're not the governing body, they should stay out of it /rant. In any case, you need to go to DJI's custom unlock and submit your request for your remote to be unlocked for the day/time you're intending to fly. It doesn't' take long, usually a few hours but I do it days before to make sure I'm all set. They'll want to see your FAA authorization document before unlocking your remote control.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not too bad. I have found getting someone from the FAA on the phone can help a lot with the process. When you submit an application you'll get an email from the person reviewing, feel free to call them. They're very helpful. They want you to fly, but they also want to make sure you're being safe around others.

Hi Oliver, thanks so much for spending time to give me this information, i really appreciate it. I'm just a recreational (and very new) drone flyer. i've already registered my Air2 and placed my FAA registration Number onto the drone. i am willing to buy the anti-collision lighting.

where do you fill out the authorization applications? is it right through FAA drone zone?

also, where did you fly close to the airport? i would love to be able to get some video/photos of Boston Skyline, airport, really anywhere around here

I live in Quincy/Squantum and I am allowed to fly max ceiling 100ft. I just bought my fourth drone, M2P, and it is the best handling drone. Would also like to fly with other people. Was thinking of heading over to the quarry today.

Hi Oliver, thanks so much for spending time to give me this information, i really appreciate it. I'm just a recreational (and very new) drone flyer. i've already registered my Air2 and placed my FAA registration Number onto the drone. i am willing to buy the anti-collision lighting.

where do you fill out the authorization applications? is it right through FAA drone zone?

also, where did you fly close to the airport? i would love to be able to get some video/photos of Boston Skyline, airport, really anywhere around here
So sorry, I just switched over the the email account I registered under and saw this.

In case you didn't see it: yes, you fill out and submit an airspace authorization request at FAA DroneZone (FAADroneZone).

My flight was along the E Boston Greenway Connector, or at the Wood Island T Stop. It is property of MassPort and has "no drone" signs everywhere. Yes, a state trooper approached me and said I couldn't fly there. Yes I showed him my printed out authorization as well as my state ID (and my commercial certification, but if you don't have that it should be fine). He took pictures of them and told me to fly safe.

And yes, I contacted the control tower a few minutes before flight and said: I'm flying a drone, I have authorization. I'm at this location, I will be flying for X time, and I have a maximum altitude of X ft.

In either instance (police and control towers) I have found a mixed bag with regards to people knowing what you're talking about. The officer took the pictures because he wasn't even sure if what I was showing him was real. He was simply covering his ***.

Usually a control tower will tell you that you have to get authorization at the dronezone site. Every time I have to politely reiterate: Yes, I've done that and I have authorization, I'm calling you because its procedure, I'm just letting you know I'm flying here.

If you're open about it, people are pretty cool. Its new territory for a lot of folks so be patient.

FYI: I have had four airspace authorizations. I have applied for eight. Two were canceled (one by the FAA after calling me, one by me because I saw a goof on my application), and two were denied. Its not a big deal to get denied, they just don't want you to cause an issue. It is very easy to reply to their emails and ask why, and if anything could be done to reduce the risk and obtain authorization.

So sorry, I just switched over the the email account I registered under and saw this.

In case you didn't see it: yes, you fill out and submit an airspace authorization request at FAA DroneZone (FAADroneZone).

My flight was along the E Boston Greenway Connector, or at the Wood Island T Stop. It is property of MassPort and has "no drone" signs everywhere. Yes, a state trooper approached me and said I couldn't fly there. Yes I showed him my printed out authorization as well as my state ID (and my commercial certification, but if you don't have that it should be fine). He took pictures of them and told me to fly safe.

And yes, I contacted the control tower a few minutes before flight and said: I'm flying a drone, I have authorization. I'm at this location, I will be flying for X time, and I have a maximum altitude of X ft.

In either instance (police and control towers) I have found a mixed bag with regards to people knowing what you're talking about. The officer took the pictures because he wasn't even sure if what I was showing him was real. He was simply covering his ***.

Usually a control tower will tell you that you have to get authorization at the dronezone site. Every time I have to politely reiterate: Yes, I've done that and I have authorization, I'm calling you because its procedure, I'm just letting you know I'm flying here.

If you're open about it, people are pretty cool. Its new territory for a lot of folks so be patient.

FYI: I have had four airspace authorizations. I have applied for eight. Two were canceled (one by the FAA after calling me, one by me because I saw a goof on my application), and two were denied. Its not a big deal to get denied, they just don't want you to cause an issue. It is very easy to reply to their emails and ask why, and if anything could be done to reduce the risk and obtain authorization.

thats great info, thanks again so much for posting. i know exactly where wood island is, i work for a trucking company that is a customer to many of the airlines at logan airport and sometimes i use the coughlin bypass to get from tunnel to eastern ave in chelsea. do you have any pictures that you could post of your flight?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929