DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing GPS a few minutes into flight - On multiple flights

I did report this to DJI support a few days ago but haven't received a reply. I am going to experiment some more and calibrate the compass in a large clearing without metal or electrical interference, also will try going full right stick and see if it does it again once it warms up outside (-15F today). I've always been able to take manual control in sport mode, which I assume is what's supposed to happen since it isn't relying on GPS except to hover, and fly it wherever I want.

What's the procedure for getting the DAT file for emailing it? I haven't connected my MP to a desktop computer yet, I'm assuming it's in a folder on the micro SD?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I'd be interested in looking at the .DAT. You might be having the gpsHealth issue that others have had. No need to bother with another compass calibration. To see how to retrieve the .DAT look here. It'll be large so you'll need to Dropbox and provide the link in a post.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can figure out how to download it this evening, thanks! Did you see the "compass redundancy switch" message?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If the MAVIC is stating GPS numbers but it decides switch to ATTI then you are experiencing compass issues. The compass is going skitz and the MAVIC is trying to fly away. The redundancy system is kicking in and switching to ATTI to prevent the flyaway. This is happening because many still believe in calibrating compass at EVERY flight location. This can cause flyaways as the compass snapshot can be wrong (magnet influences in large structures etc).

The fix is simple. Calibrate the compass in an open grassy field and do this ONLY ONCE!!!. This should get a clean-primed compass snapshot. Then travel back to your flight location and take off from a patch of grass or cardboard box (some roads/walkways may have rebar in the concrete).

If my MP tells me to calibrate the compass, are you saying to ignore this and fly anyway?

Last edited:
If my MP tells me to calibrate the compass, are you saying to ignore this and fly anyway?

If its telling you, then goto an open grassy field free of interference. Take off your watch, phone, pants etc and calibrate. Then goto into sensors and check if both compass is green.

OK, so it looks like I have found a thread which I can relate to. I posted a similar issue just last night in the discussions forum;

Sattelite Positioning Off-Atti Mode: While flying in sport mode

".... while flying in sport mode, well into my flight, i have observed my Mavic suddenly switch to ATTI mode and flash the warning "Satellite positioning off. Fly with Caution.", at which point i have no map navigation, and I have to fly back FPV. This is the second time its happened to me, and it usually resolves itself a few seconds after i stop and switch back to regular mode. If there is already a thread speaking to this issue, please share the link, would love to know whats going on. Otherwise, please share your thoughts. I have examined my flight log uploaded from my smartphone, and nothing really seems to stick out. What do you think?"

I was getting quite a few "High wind" warnings as well, although most of my flying conditions so far there has been some wind, nothing crazy. I just attributed it to stronger winds at higher altitudes.
Having read this particular thread, it now appears that I am experiencing the same problem as is being discussed here. So... should I be contacting DJI at this point? performing a new compass calibration? or just wait for new firmware updates to address the issue?

When you go to flight records on the GO 4 app, go to flight records and select "export CSV", you get this message, can anyone tell me what this, what it means and how to find it? Does it put the flight to a folder on the micro sd card?
3f00a958ec28cbe994ef86a404b60ed4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I once looked at the .csv produced by this. It's pretty weak. E.g. Latitude and Longitude in same column. I think it puts the .csv in a folder that you then have to retrieve using iTunes or equivalent on Android. It's not on the SD card.

Why don't you consider using @msinger s converter which will give you a .csv if you want.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
That site also has instructions on retrieving the .txt that will be converted to a .csv.

I once looked at the .csv produced by this. It's pretty weak. E.g. Latitude and Longitude in same column. I think it puts the .csv in a folder that you then have to retrieve using iTunes or equivalent on Android. It's not on the SD card.

Why don't you consider using @msinger s converter which will give you a .csv if you want.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
That site also has instructions on retrieving the .txt that will be converted to a .csv.

I'm heading to Henderson Nevada Saturday for a couple weeks to assist in the inspection of a King Air we might buy, so once I get there I'll find a nice big clearing without interference and calibrate the compass, then fly it some and see how it behaves. It's so **** cold here in Alaska that I haven't had the opportunity to fly it much at all, it's been sub zero most of the time and is forecast to get worse into next week, if I still have problems in Nevada with the GPS dropping out I'll take steps to diagnose it further and probably just get a warranty repair.

I'm heading to Henderson Nevada Saturday for a couple weeks to assist in the inspection of a King Air we might buy, so once I get there I'll find a nice big clearing without interference and calibrate the compass, then fly it some and see how it behaves. It's so **** cold here in Alaska that I haven't had the opportunity to fly it much at all, it's been sub zero most of the time and is forecast to get worse into next week, if I still have problems in Nevada with the GPS dropping out I'll take steps to diagnose it further and probably just get a warranty repair.

Update, I finally found an area here near Las Vegas where I wasn't within 5 miles of an airport, calibrated the compass in a large clearing free of possible interference flew for 32 minutes in sport and normal mode with no GPS or compass problems or alerts whatsoever! Relieved to know my MP doesn't have an issue with the GPS or compass.

Same here. Flying in Sport Mode right stick max it loses Gps...it has happened to me twice. I updated the software to the newest....it came 14.2.2017...didn't help cause the problem happened first time before and yesterday was after the update....:( What do i do...?
I did reset to factory settings...refresh firmware...calibrated imu...not compass by the way, gotta try that today if the weather is good... Losing gps is the worst could happen in mid air...

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Finally got warm enough to fly today here in interior Alaska, lost GPS for a few minutes going fast in sport mode like I expected, went a little nutzoid then regained GPS, no problems after that as long as I didn't zoom around in sport mode. I guess I just need to be patient and not use sport mode.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661