DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loss of Signal concern

Blue Falcon

Reactions
Hi there, I think I may know the answer but just wanted to run this scenario by you guys. I have watched many You-Tube videos on all the different setting and modes within the Mavic air 2 and have a question to verify. When I used waypoints mode for Hyperlapse and everything was going great when I lost the signal momentarily but the drone continued on with the mission without incident. Here's the part I think I know, that if and when I use Point of Interest mode and I lose signal will it come back to Homepoint or will it just continue on with the mission, here's the confusing part, on the the Go app, the videos that I've seen you have the option on the App to RTH or continue on with mission before you even start the mission. I just wondered if the software on Fly App just allows the mission to continue or does it just come back to Homepoint. With the Fly app which is the App I have. I know if you are doing this shot manually, it would RTH. I know to some it is a dumb question, but I haven't tried a long distance Point of Interest shot yet where I would definitely lose the line of sight, like say a circle 2 or 300 ft up around a building. The reason I ask is because I thought the Go app came before the Fly app, I thought the Fly app was an upgrade, but the Fly app doesn't have that option that I can see. Are they two different apps for the same purpose but different options within. If so maybe one app is better than the other, but I was under the impression the Fly app was better, just not sure about that scenario. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I use litchi to plan waypoint missions. From experience with that, following observation:

As I prepare the mission, I decide what happens at the end of mission. Either stay at the last waypoint and hover, return to point one ore RTH. Since my point 1 is set relativly close to my take-off point, I let it return to point one.

Last year I had two occasions where I lost the direct signal from the drone (mavic air). First occasion was because of the distance, second was because I the drone was sent over some rocks and I was in the "radio shadow" of them.
First case was no problem, the mission was continued as planned and the drone returned to point one.
Second time I was lucky. At one point I missed an altitude, so the drone went down, almost hitting a concrete part and then "captured" between some rocks, but still flying. Since I had no direct connection, I did not know what had happend. After about 15 minutes, I suddenly heard a familiar sound and on my screen was life again. I landed the drone with just 10% battery left.
Going through the footage, I saw the drone hovering for almost 10 minutes, then it looked like the RTH function was triggered by 30% battery (as set) the drone took of straight up to 50 meters and returned home.

So if you have a WPM around a POI and your signal gets lost, I am pretty sure the drone will RTH as triggered by low battery (assuming, you have set RTH as action to be taken then).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas