DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost mini 2 during severe wind storm.

ninja_shibari

Reactions
Lost mini 2 during sever wind storm. It last received telemetry at about 320 feet up and 20% battery. I've searched the area but I'm thinking it drifted and might of over flew my search area. I am gonna stop by today and rub a grid pattern search using my mini 3 pro and litchi pilot. I'll include the last know flight logs from AirData

• Wow
Reactions: BroomRider
I'm thinking it drifted and might of over flew my search area. I am gonna stop by today and rub a grid pattern search using my mini 3 pro and litchi pilot. I'll include the last know flight logs from AirData
It's not easy to suggest a likely search area.
When the drone was last heard from, it was at 39.66466 -104.81781.
But it was 320 feet up and being blown backwards at 15 mph with the battery at 22%.
Eventually the battery will have reached critical low voltage and the drone would have descended.
But it will have been blown further south before it reached the ground.

I normally don't comment on the heights people fly at, but you were far, far in excess of regulations for safe flying.

Light drone at 320ft in a "severe" windstorm.
Gone with the wind?

I have to ask........what lesson did you learn?
More than one lesson needs to be learnt from this flight
well hacking for one while interesting isnt a good thing for the firmware, definetly watch the area im flying in more (wind picking up and such) are there any more points i have missed and should be more aware of? Also that 400 ft faa ceiling is there for a reason i suppose

Last edited:
You may be aware of these points and chose to ignore them, but in the event that you're entirely new to flying drones, here are two issues that others have been hinting about.
  • The maximum legal altitude for drones is 400 feet above ground level.
  • Regulations require that the drone must be kept in the pilot's line of sight.
Here are the FAA regulations for flying drones recreationally.

There was a highly unusual wind event during your flight. Were there no clouds or other indicators of its onset? You received the first high wind warning at about 1900' altitude and less than 300' from your home point with more than 60% battery. Had you responded promptly, you almost certainly could have landed your drone safely.

Screenshot 2023-08-01 085810.jpg

Sorry to have to say it but OP doesn’t deserve to be flying a drone if they are flying that high up. Seems like Karma stepped in and gave them what they were asking for.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian