DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low flying military Chinnooks - Lancashire

Cygnus2112

Reactions
I have been flying drones for about 8 years now, I live next to open fields, I'm fully licensed, insured and abide by the CAA rules. I have the NATS app and normally check with that before taking a flight.

I've lived here for 25 years and we get the occasional low flying military helicopters, about once a month, normally Chinnooks and because they are pretty noisy you can normally hear them from some distance away. Last week I was flying my Mavic Air 2 at an altitude of 65 metres when I heard the rumblings of a helicopter. With my Mavic stationery I looked around to try and get a visual on the incoming aircraft when two chinooks appeared over the trees at an altitude of probably no more than 30 metres. Laterally they were less than 50 metres from my drone and it's only by chance I wasn't directly in their flight path.

There must be some kind of military exercises going on because for the 5 days since then two chinnooks have flown north each morning and returned each evening.

Are there any websites that I can visit that would alert me to low flying activity in my area?

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

I doubt you're going to find any apps/programs that detail any type of military (or civilian for that matter) pending aircraft operations.

You can use (with a LOT of caution and understanding the limitations) flightradar24 but there is no replacement for Eyes & Ears.

Keep in mind that not EVERY aircraft is required to broadcast it's telemetry and the further you get away from a significant airport the less you'll see. Even with a myriad of Apps running many aircraft are flying without any Radar Following and not broadcasting any details.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580