DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low light ProRes footage

ianwood

Reactions
Site
sillygoo.se

Evaluating the M3 Cine in low light some more. Results are decent. Normally, I would shoot this on the Inspire and X5S in C-DNG but this isn't too bad and the drone is so much more stable.

This test footage is 5.1K ProRes 422HQ, 50fps, 360º shutter, WB 5600. Some is at 96% speed and some at 48%. Note the 360 shutter at 50fps is temporally similar to a 180 shutter at 24fps and should allow as much light. It's color graded. No noise correction. No sharpening. No flicker removal. I purposefully added a little more color correction than I might normally to see how it holds up. However, I am a minimalist when it comes to color correction as I usually add only a neutral grade to preserve detail before passing it off to professional colorists. I simply cannot bring myself to do the holy saturation, bleeding eyeballs, HDR seizure that some people prefer.

Some observations:

- Flickering from street lights. I think this is due to 50fps.
- Noise is manageable up to 800 ISO. At 1600, it is interfering with detail.
- f2.8 is soft especially on the sides. Not hugely surprising.
- Light blooms (street lights, cars, etc.) are blobby and not very pleasing.
- Decent shadow detail when pulled up.
- Lens distortion is noticeable towards edges.

All in all I see a very pleasant image which appears to be accurate per color. I consider this exceptional from a pro-sumer drone. Good dynamic range per mho. All observations made are quite minimal also per mho. I truly wish I could play with the unaltered file in Resolve. That would tell me what I could achieve with it and help me make a decision on purchasing the drone.

Reactions: Wade L. and ianwood

Evaluating the M3 Cine in low light some more. Results are decent. Normally, I would shoot this on the Inspire and X5S in C-DNG but this isn't too bad and the drone is so much more stable.

This test footage is 5.1K ProRes 422HQ, 50fps, 360º shutter, WB 5600. Some is at 96% speed and some at 48%. Note the 360 shutter at 50fps is temporally similar to a 180 shutter at 24fps and should allow as much light. It's color graded. No noise correction. No sharpening. No flicker removal. I purposefully added a little more color correction than I might normally to see how it holds up. However, I am a minimalist when it comes to color correction as I usually add only a neutral grade to preserve detail before passing it off to professional colorists. I simply cannot bring myself to do the holy saturation, bleeding eyeballs, HDR seizure that some people prefer.

Some observations:

- Flickering from street lights. I think this is due to 50fps.
- Noise is manageable up to 800 ISO. At 1600, it is interfering with detail.
- f2.8 is soft especially on the sides. Not hugely surprising.
- Light blooms (street lights, cars, etc.) are blobby and not very pleasing.
- Decent shadow detail when pulled up.
- Lens distortion is noticeable towards edges.
What was the reason for shooting 50 fps? Why didn’t you just shoot in 24/25 fps and use a 180 degree shutter?

What was the reason for shooting 50 fps? Why didn’t you just shoot in 24/25 fps and use a 180 degree shutter?

I almost always overcrank aerial footage I shoot for stock. Most often I shoot 30 for 24 which yields a barely noticeable slowing to 80% and just makes it feel smoother. When I do shoot 50 for 24 with a 360 shutter, it means I have the option of either 96% and 48% speed.

Reactions: johnmont250
There’s a RED website about the best shutter speed to avoid flicker
It recommends 1/60 in NA but if that’s not possible then 1/30 would avoid flicker. Sorry not an expert, you may already be aware of this. Beautiful video, thanks for sharing.

I almost always overcrank aerial footage I shoot for stock. Most often I shoot 30 for 24 which yields a barely noticeable slowing to 80% and just makes it feel smoother. When I do shoot 50 for 24 with a 360 shutter, it means I have the option of either 96% and 48% speed.
So why don’t you shoot in 48 FPS if you are always exporting in 24? That way you could match up perfectly. I’m not trying to be critical I just trying to understand your methodology. Do you use a 360 shutter even if you have plenty of light?

There’s a RED website about the best shutter speed to avoid flicker
It recommends 1/60 in NA but if that’s not possible then 1/30 would avoid flicker. Sorry not an expert, you may already be aware of this. Beautiful video, thanks for sharing.

I've used this calculator a lot. Just not this one time! 😜

So why don’t you shoot in 48 FPS if you are always exporting in 24? That way you could match up perfectly. I’m not trying to be critical I just trying to understand your methodology. Do you use a 360 shutter even if you have plenty of light?

I almost always shoot 180 but for 50fps, I will use a longer shutter to help maintain the temporal feel of 24 if I want to maintain the option to play it at 96%.

As for 50 vs 48, it's such a slight difference for drone shots that it doesn't really matter in my opinion.

I’m guessing u were just testing/experimenting with the Cine, I’m envious, just can’t afford it right now. But if you’d just used 24 fps there wouldn’t have been a flicker issue, correct? I wrestled with this for an indoor job where I only had one kick at the can, had to get it first time but needed a higher frame rate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR