DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low noise props

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a MM and have been reading how quiet everyone thinks the MM is but that has not been my experience. Even at 400’ I can hear it clearly. It’s not really a problem for me out in the country though. Today, I thought it might be wise to change the original props as preventative maintenance, so I put on a set of low noise props (Anbee 2
Mavic Mini Drone Colored Propellers, Low-Noise 4726F Props Blades Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini Drone, 8pcs/Set) and was surprised at how much quieter they really are. I just thought I’d pass on the information to others that might be as skeptical as I was about low noise props. Incidentally, I’m not a vendor. Best wishes.

I have a MM and have been reading how quiet everyone thinks the MM is but that has not been my experience. Even at 400’ I can hear it clearly. It’s not really a problem for me out in the country though. Today, I thought it might be wise to change the original props as preventative maintenance, so I put on a set of low noise props (Anbee 2
Mavic Mini Drone Colored Propellers, Low-Noise 4726F Props Blades Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini Drone, 8pcs/Set) and was surprised at how much quieter they really are. I just thought I’d pass on the information to others that might be as skeptical as I was about low noise props. Incidentally, I’m not a vendor. Best wishes.
I was flying my 4 month old mini with a friend who had just purchased his and there was quite a difference in prop noise. I'm thinking it has to do with the age of the props and possible flattening. I'm going to order some replacements from DJI and see if that quiets things down.

Anyone notice a lessening of noise when changing a complete set of props? DJI for DJI.

I think the Mini is just quieter compared to the larger drones and they all sound like a swarm of bees, just some sound like a bigger swarm! I would love a truly silent drone that doesn't draw attention!

I was flying my 4 month old mini with a friend who had just purchased his and there was quite a difference in prop noise. I'm thinking it has to do with the age of the props and possible flattening. I'm going to order some replacements from DJI and see if that quiets things down.

Anyone notice a lessening of noise when changing a complete set of props? DJI for DJI.
I did this and used a sound meter app, I was expecting the new DJI props to quieten the Mini as I was sure it used to fun at a lower noise when new, replaced props and it didn’t change the noise level or pitch.

Reactions: fificap
Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t less pitch to a blade be about the only thing that could have an effect on noise level? Plus the RPM of the motors coupled with relatively small diameter blades I’m sure adds to the noise as well?

Pitch is a significant factor but just one of several that affect noise. Blade tip speed, required thrust, tip vortex control and incoming airflow direction all play in to the mix too. A lot of "low noise" props work on the principle of generating more thrust for a given speed. This reduces the typical blade speed and produces a lower dominant frequency and harmonics to the noise. This is normally perceived as "lower" noise. There's often a small reduction in sound pressure levels too (dB). It's a complex science, which I openly admit I don't understand fully. Perceived noise level is also quite subjective.

Any trade offs for lower noise like negative effects to battery life, speed or stability?

Any trade offs for lower noise like negative effects to battery life, speed or stability?
It very much depends on the quality of design. Well designed low noise props might theoretically give a very small increase in flight time as less energy is used in making noise, and they may have a marginal efficiency improvement over stock props. Speed is limited by the drone firmware and stability is a complex combination of sensors, firmware control algorithms, motor responses, and ESC responses.

Poorly designed low noise props could negatively impact everything about the drone. A bit like putting cart wheels on a racing car.

It very much depends on the quality of design. Well designed low noise props might theoretically give a very small increase in flight time as less energy is used in making noise, and they may have a marginal efficiency improvement over stock props. Speed is limited by the drone firmware and stability is a complex combination of sensors, firmware control algorithms, motor responses, and ESC responses.

Poorly designed low noise props could negatively impact everything about the drone. A bit like putting cart wheels on a racing car.
I've seen some horror stories of people losing their mini's with poorly manufactured third party props. For those seeking low noise props, I'd wait for the upcoming master airscrew version

Reactions: Thanev and scro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO