DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2-weird flight

tiparoch

Reactions
Heya, Okay...sorry no large breasted women (this time) but do need some advice. I did look around but could not find similar post. Am having some issues with my M2-pro. Had a slight quasi-fly away recently. 3rd flight location of the day, current app. ver., no warnings, GPS lock. 3 minutes into flight bird started to move on its own, then do a lazy arc, all on its own, much like a Quick Mode function. Sticks unresponsive. Pause button no good. Hit Return to Home and after got the craft close and landed okay. It was over water so not so comfy. Re-started everything and all was fine. Next day flew in another spot. Wanted to fly in a tight spot with no GPS lock, altitude limited, so got a GPS lock 150 meters away flew to the spot to fly in a tree zone (for fall colours). The bird was basically okay but kept drifting, or I should say would drift about 1 metre to the side and stabilize. Tried over and over again. As it was a tight tight spot that 1 metre mattered... Finally had to give up and fly back to launch point over the trees as was increasingly drifting. Weird. Any thoughts? Smells like an IMU issue?

Why guess when you could look at the flight logs? With respect to the second incident you say the area the issue presented in had limited visibility to satellites yet you claim to be surprised with what was probably (and might have been expected) poor GPS lock.

BTW- you know what happened to the Mavic operator who cried wolf? People started ignoring his threads.

Reactions: Kilrah
1st flight sounds like a toilet bowl effect - compass issue.
Second flight sounds normal for poor gps signal.

Reactions: tiparoch
Any thoughts? Smells like an IMU issue?
It's very unlikely to have anything to do with your IMU.
But until you share flight data, people can only guess and most guesses will be wrong or very wrong.
If you want help, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Another possibility if you were low enough is VPS tracking the water currents as if the waves were a stationary pattern. You still should have had control though, even if the control wasn't quite what you expected.

You could accept guesses from folks that haven't seen your flight data and may or may not know what they are talking about.
Or you could see what actually happened and take it from there.

Another possibility if you were low enough is VPS tracking the water currents as if the waves were a stationary pattern. You still should have had control though, even if the control wasn't quite what you expected.

Thanks... Good point ..but I have flown that bird many many times over water, high and low... Was fine before and after... Weird. Will delve into it later... Appreciate it.

That very toilet bowl happened to me, and I thought I was losing flight control. However RTH was perfect and in no case did I get compass/magnetic interference.
Winds were picking up causing waves so that's all I could come up with.

Humm. Weird. Sounds similar. Like you l had no interference. Thanks!

Heya, Okay...sorry no large breasted women (this time) but do need some advice. I did look around but could not find similar post. Am having some issues with my M2-pro. Had a slight quasi-fly away recently. 3rd flight location of the day, current app. ver., no warnings, GPS lock. 3 minutes into flight bird started to move on its own, then do a lazy arc, all on its own, much like a Quick Mode function. Sticks unresponsive. Pause button no good. Hit Return to Home and after got the craft close and landed okay. It was over water so not so comfy. Re-started everything and all was fine. Next day flew in another spot. Wanted to fly in a tight spot with no GPS lock, altitude limited, so got a GPS lock 150 meters away flew to the spot to fly in a tree zone (for fall colours). The bird was basically okay but kept drifting, or I should say would drift about 1 metre to the side and stabilize. Tried over and over again. As it was a tight tight spot that 1 metre mattered... Finally had to give up and fly back to launch point over the trees as was increasingly drifting. Weird. Any thoughts? Smells like an IMU issue?

Is it possible you didn't calibrate the compass before launching? I've had a similar problem in that past when I didn't bother. The compass calibration updates the IMU, at least on my M1P's.

Is it possible you didn't calibrate the compass before launching? I've had a similar problem in that past when I didn't bother.
The OP wasn't interested enough to find out what actually happened.
But failing to calibrate the compass before a flight would have exactly zero effect on anything.
I still haven't calibrated anything on my no. 1 drone that's been working hard for over two years.
The compass calibration updates the IMU, at least on my M1P's.
Your IMU has no need to be "updated".
The compass is a magnetic direction sensor.
The IMU is a collection of pressure, gyro and accelerometer sensors.
They are not related and calibrating your compass has no effect on your IMU.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Is it possible you didn't calibrate the compass before launching? I've had a similar problem in that past when I didn't bother. The compass calibration updates the IMU, at least on my M1P's.
Another example of believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. You may want to research what a compass calibration will and won’t do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CtrlAltDlt