DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P BATTERY MAINTENANCE

Rmcolon

Reactions
In the Intelligent Battery manual of the M2P, the recommended maintenance reads:

"Battery Maintenence
1. ...
2. ...

3. Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health."

I'm using the Hanatora charger that has the capability to discharge the battery to 0%. According to the maintenance in my Airdata account, the battery should not be discharge under 8% due to permanent damage. Which one is correct? Fully discharge or not? Any experience with this issue? Thanks!

In the Intelligent Battery manual of the M2P, the recommended maintenance reads:

"Battery Maintenence
1. ...
2. ...

3. Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health."

I'm using the Hanatora charger that has the capability to discharge the battery to 0%. According to the maintenance in my Airdata account, the battery should not be discharge under 8% due to permanent damage. Which one is correct? Fully discharge or not? Any experience with this issue? Thanks!
Serious LiPo damage is at about the 3.0V, so you should not discharge below that, there will always be some "Springback" after you stop discharge and battery rests. From there allow battery to cool (If needed). So I would say if your discharger is monitoring voltage with a saftey cut off, then Zero might not be "0" in real life. DJI builds a bit of tolerance to what Zero on the drone reads App side to keep that from happening. So basically I would just discharge down to 3.2V and call it a maintenance cycle as "we" have done for years now. :)

Back in the Inspire 1 days we had to do that procedure every 20 or so flights to get the battery "Calibrated" to the App.
You would drain it to critical landing, then apply up to keep it from landing till about a reading of 2% on app, from there you would just leave the drone powered on and it would shut off by itself to save the battery at correct voltage. Things have gotten much easier over the years :p

I have P3 batteries that I have followed that procedure on almost religiously, and of 5 batteries the lowest one still shows 94% capacity some 4 years later;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmcolon and Jeff A
Serious LiPo damage is at about the 3.0V, so you should not discharge below that, there will always be some "Springback" after you stop discharge and battery rests. From there allow battery to cool (If needed). So I would say if your discharger is monitoring voltage with a saftey cut off, then Zero might not be "0" in real life. DJI builds a bit of tolerance to what Zero on the drone reads App side to keep that from happening. So basically I would just discharge down to 3.2V and call it a maintenance cycle as "we" have done for years now. :)

Back in the Inspire 1 days we had to do that procedure every 20 or so flights to get the battery "Calibrated" to the App.
You would drain it to critical landing, then apply up to keep it from landing till about a reading of 2% on app, from there you would just leave the drone powered on and it would shut off by itself to save the battery at correct voltage. Things have gotten much easier over the years :p

I have P3 batteries that I have followed that procedure on almost religiously, and of 5 batteries the lowest one still shows 94% capacity some 4 years later;)

Thanks for your advice!

M2P itself has settings in the battery menu to specify how many days would you like to keep battery charged, if you're not flying. I set up 7 days, after that the battery in my drone is discharged to 40%. I also noticed that the M2P battery in my bag also discharged after that period of time.

Reactions: Rmcolon
LiPo batteries are so easily damaged with misuse, DJI has taken most of the thinking required away. I still fly 700 size 3D Helicopters with 5A batteries with up to 8 cells. Over the years I can confirm the following advice for looking after Lipos.
1. Try not to discharge much below 20%, early days I found going below too far or often would see capacity disappear rather quickly.
2. Fully charging and leaving them in that state for days on end destroys them too, especially if the ambient temperature changes. I store all mine at 50% charge.
I keep them in a cool place and set the auto discharge for 2 days in the summer, believe DJI has made this default now anyway.

I have a few dozen large LIPo batteries, kept good and still use after a few years, a little care pays off big time, top tip :)

I don't agree with the Inspire 1 discharge. I did it and now the battery won't come out of one blink. It will not charge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic