DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P controller "connecting"

freefallnick

Reactions
So I got my M2P over the weekend and I powered up the controller and AC in my living room (did not fly it, just turned on the gear to make sure it works) and I had my phone connected to the controller but not turned on or have the app open (phone screen was off anyway) and I the controller just displayed connecting with the AC lights flashing the orange lights on on the back propellers. I screwed around with it and eventually got it connected I think by powering each of them off and back on.

Well this morning it was finally not raining outside so I decided to try a quick take off and land after having practiced with DJI software sim so I brought the gear outside and turned on the AC and then the controller with my ipad connected but not powered on. Again I ran into the same problem with controller just saying "connecting" with the orange lights flashing on the M2P. I tried power cycling off AC but this did not help so I power cycled controller and it was still stuck at connecting.

I decided to disconnect the lightning to controller cable plugged in on the side and then it connected to the M2P right away. Am I supposed to turn on both AC and controller with this cable NOT connected and then once they are linked up connect the cable to the side of the controller and connect it to tablet or phone? It must be something I'm doing wrong since this has happened twice in a row now.

Thanks.

Did you have the DJI app open on your phone?
Are the devices linked?
If I turned the phone on, the app would not be open, that said I'm using iPhone and iPad and if you access the app switcher you could probably switch to it that way so maybe it is in the background?

As for the devices being linked, the answer is yes as soon as the cable into the controller was unplugged this morning it connected immediately. I think that's how I fixed it the first/previous time as well. Is it then standard practice to boot the controller without any cables connected and then once it connects to the AC you can connect a phone or tablet?

Back when I used my iPhone I think it didn’t matter which was first.... but now I use the SC sometimes... quick and min weight for hiking, or the CS when I want a big screen.

i do not own a M2P but if you have the lead plugged into the side port of the controller whether you have a phone attached to it or not then it stops the bottom USB from connecting to the ipad also you cant have two devices connected at once your post was a bit confusing as to what you were using

Reactions: Thomas B
i do not own a M2P but if you have the lead plugged into the side port of the controller whether you have a phone attached to it or not then it stops the bottom USB from connecting to the ipad also you cant have two devices connected at once your post was a bit confusing as to what you were using

I’ve never used the back/bottom port I’ve only used the one on the side. I’ve used an iPad and an iphone but not both at the same time. As stated previously the controller seems to be stuck connecting until I remove the side cable meaning no cables at all are connected to the controller then it connects right away.

If I turned the phone on, the app would not be open, that said I'm using iPhone and iPad and if you access the app switcher you could probably switch to it that way so maybe it is in the background?

This response is confusing. I want to ask exactly what Thomas B asked because you didn't answer him. Have you tried turning everything on while viewing DJI Go 4? Go 4 should give you information about what is going on where you power things up.

This response is confusing. I want to ask exactly what Thomas B asked because you didn't answer him. Have you tried turning everything on while viewing DJI Go 4? Go 4 should give you information about what is going on where you power things up.

Ok so the correct order is:
Plug in phone/tablet
Open dji go 4 app
Turn on controller
Turn on AC
??

The only thing i did different was open the app at the end instead of the beginning..

I agree with the confusing responses - this works for me (out of the quick start guide) and I just performed these steps.

1. Mobile device powered up
2. Insert in controller and connect cable between controller (while controller off - not sure if this matters, but I don't use my controller battery until I am ready to fly to save power)
3. Power on controller - you will see connecting if M2P is powered off or not linked
4. Open GO4 App
5. Power on the M2P

6. If the M2P connects (links) you will see this in the GO4 app and the message Connected will appear - should be able to fly if possible

7. If the "Connecting" message remains - open the settings menu on the GO4 app
8. Below that you will see a blue option "Linking Remote Controller". Select this and a new box will open on the center of the screen.
9. Ensure that "Primary Remote Controller" is selected and blue in color, then press OK.
10. A message is displayed that counts down saying that it is searching for the aircraft freq.
11. The controller will show Binding
12. You have ~ 60 seconds to bind, the button for this is on the right side of the M2P - gently press this button and the two should bind or link. If you go past 60 seconds the GO4 app will display "Remote Controller Linking Timed Out". Try the steps above again but try to complete in 60 seconds - the aircraft does not need to be level to do this.
13. The controller should show as connected at this point.
14. You should be ready to fly if possible.

I just did this on a non-linked or binded controller using my iPad with my M2P so I know these steps work with the latest FW.

Not sure if this step by step helps - you can do this in your house (remove the props for safety I'd suggest).

Reactions: DJ Wes
I would suggest do a rebinding to hopefully fix your inconsistent connection issue.

You don't need the phone/app at all for the RC and AC to connect. Your distance and altitude will be limited, but you can even fly this way. Knowing this should clear up a lot of confusion.

For safety, turn on your RC before your AC. This way there's little chance of something external doing something to your AC with no RC to control it. In theory this should never happen.
Definitely turn off the AC before the RC. Many still had motors running, absentmindedly turned off RC and AC took off to go home.

Go app will show if app is not connected to RC and if connected, if RC is not connected to AC.

There are also those (not named! (g)) who suggest that the side port is just not as reliable as the bottom larger port. They reserve the side port solely to charge the controller.

Mine right now says Connecting even though it’s nowhere near my drone.

It’s getting warm and I hear a little fan.

It’s running down the battery.

I hold down the power button but it won’t shut off.

I have a M2P and the standard controller and use an iPhone X to fly. I connect the iPhone with the side cable and power on the controller, then the iPhone, launch Go4, then turn on the bird and watch the messages and then the camera view shows up. I wait for GPS and a lot of satellites, check the orientation of the compass, then go fly. Works every time.

Mine right now says Connecting even though it’s nowhere near my drone.

It’s getting warm and I hear a little fan.

It’s running down the battery.

I hold down the power button but it won’t shut off.
It would say "connecting" if it has not connected to the AC, such as AC too far away or off.

I happened to have the controller in the bag but not the drone itself.

I think it got jostled in the bag and the poor button was depressed. But I couldn’t get it out of connecting mode until like several dozen tries.

Did you mean you couldn't power it off rather than not getting out of connecting mode? Turning on your AC is how you get the RC out of "connecting" mode.

Yes it wouldn’t shut down until it went from 100 to 77% battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki