DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P urban night shots

branchie68

Reactions
I’ve had the Mavic for about a month now. I bought it just as the weather took a turn for the worse so haven’t flown it as much as I’d like, but the initial wariness has worn off and I’m really loving it so far. I needed to drain a battery the other day so flew in my local supermarket car park for a bit and took my first night shots. I’m impressed with what I’m getting from this sensor after a bit of post so I thought I’d share a few stills.

E30DF28A-369A-449D-99E9-1CB801D9C826.jpegE70EC26A-C0F1-4B8E-A724-E60B54C7D6C8.jpegE1EA2975-5DF9-475D-AA83-BBB65F666163.jpegA4733B79-3C3E-4265-BF8F-1F932BC5042E.jpeg689F6AFB-8B62-4747-87ED-097959010D78.jpeg

Very nice. Are you using night strobes and would you recommend them to others? Any special regulations for night flying in the UK?

Hi. No, not using any strobes but I had the Mavic’s LED down light on and it was very easy to see. Night flying is permitted in the UK though my Flyicarus insurance doesn’t cover me for that. This was late after the shops were shut and I pretty much went straight up so still well away from any people and property. The only interest I got was from a guy who also had an M2P.

I’ve had the Mavic for about a month now. I bought it just as the weather took a turn for the worse so haven’t flown it as much as I’d like, but the initial wariness has worn off and I’m really loving it so far. I needed to drain a battery the other day so flew in my local supermarket car park for a bit and took my first night shots. I’m impressed with what I’m getting from this sensor after a bit of post so I thought I’d share a few stills.

View attachment 67109View attachment 67110View attachment 67111View attachment 67112View attachment 67113
Nice set of shots!What a world up there at night.

Reactions: branchie68
Superb images, Branchie and especially so after only a MONTH! Me thinks this isn't your first venture into photography or image editing. Well done, fellow droner!

Superb images, Branchie and especially so after only a MONTH! Me thinks this isn't your first venture into photography or image editing. Well done, fellow droner!

Thanks! I may have taken the odd snap or two ;) The Mavic has really got me excited about shooting again though after a bit of a lull.

I thought night flying was not allowed in the UK, must give it a try, anyone confirm where it allows night flying in the UK, just in case I approached, I can then show them it's allowed.
Very nice. Are you using night strobes and would you recommend them to others? Any special regulations for night flying in the UK?

I thought night flying was not allowed in the UK, must give it a try, anyone confirm where it allows night flying in the UK, just in case I approached, I can then show them it's allowed.

Hi. Check out the UK drone safe website here: Drone code - Dronesafe There’s nothing here that mentions night flying.
Also here’s the CAA website regarding recreational flights: Recreational drone flights | UK Civil Aviation Authority
I think there might be different permissions required for commercial flights but for recreational it seems to be OK.

Nice Shots. I am looking forward to taking night shots at some point.

Reactions: branchie68
good pics. Settings?

All f2.8 between 0.4 and 2 sec exposure depending on the brightness of the scene. The car park for example was at 0.4. Anything longer than 2 sec was too blurred as it was quite windy. ISO either 100 or 200 to minimise noise as much as possible. Quite a bit of post to lift shadows, tweak sharpness, balance lights and colours and add noise reduction where needed etc.

All f2.8 between 0.4 and 2 sec exposure depending on the brightness of the scene. The car park for example was at 0.4. Anything longer than 2 sec was too blurred as it was quite windy. ISO either 100 or 200 to minimise noise as much as possible. Quite a bit of post to lift shadows, tweak sharpness, balance lights and colours and add noise reduction where needed etc.

Thanks for info. Much appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S