DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 - checking the roof for damage?

danabnormal

Reactions
Hi all! New subscriber, hope you're all well.

I recently moved to the Isle of Wight and thought the recent storm we had was a great excuse to buy a Mavic Air 2 so I could check for roof tile damage. Seriously, how I get away with this stuff with the Mrs is a mystery...

I've done all the registration, passed the test, but am a little confused about the rules if I want to inspect my roof tiles. It's my property so I have permission over the building, however I'm guessing I can't actually do it legally due to the other properties in the area?

Many thanks!

Reactions: navegabem
Hi danabnormal Welcome to Mavic Pilots.

You should be OK to do the inspection, if you are worried about your neighbours you could let them know what you are doing.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Air 2 manual HERE
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN

Hi danabnormal Welcome to Mavic Pilots.

You should be OK to do the inspection, if you are worried about your neighbours you could let them know what you are doing.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Air 2 manual HERE
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN
Thanks Cyborg! Given that one of our neighbours had their roof torn off in the storm I'm assuming I'm gonna be asked to check other properties too, so I guess permission from the neighbors won't be an issue! (And yes, I've bought insurance just in case... ;) ).

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Hi
If your neighbours offer you money to inspect their roofs maybe it is better to not accept the money but use the drone anyway. Maybe someone will say that you are using your drone professionaly. And then maybe you have to pay for drone registration. I am not very sure... are you going to use your drone just for fun? Maybe eventually you are going to use it professionaly ?

Welcome to the forum. Any excuse is a good excuse to get a MA2. :p

Hi there Danabenormal,
I feel qualified to give advice on this subject as on 20th November 2019, my town ( Timaru, New Zealand ) was hit by a freak hail storm which damaged 12,078 cars and did about $120m USD worth of damage in less than 5 mins
A lot of this was roof damage and I have been busy droning the roofing on houses and commercial buildings since mid 2020. I purchased a MA2 when they first became available and have been busy with it ever since
Here in New Zealand there is no differentiation between using a drone for fun or work AS LONG AS YOU FLY UNDER 120m ( approx 400ft ) and follow a set of basic sensible rules
Those wanting to fly in restricted zones or above 120m can apply to the government for what is called a part 102 license but as my work does not need to be outside these parameters, I am operating legally without this special license
ANYWAY........ My top tips for droning building roofs ( aimed at all roof droning operators, not just your situation ) :-

1) If doing this on a regular basis, get yourself a set of prop guards - ( cheap insurance ) If working close to the roof, the guards can make a difference between a crash and just an unexpected landing on a roof

2) Use fully charged batteries where possible

3) Use tripod Mode ! slower is better near roofs

4) If getting outside your comfort zone, get in the habit of always going UP in case of emergency ( Unless under eves )
Because all other directions are relative to the direction the drone is pointing in and when learning it is easy to fly into something rather than away from it if the drone is facing towards you

5) After taking off, get a still photo of the front of the building from the street, preferably with the letterbox showing the address ( Useful for proving what building the later photos are relative to )

6) Then go to the maximum allowable height in the area you are in and take a vertical shot looking down at the building giving relativity to the street etc

7) Here in NZ, you are not permitted to fly over someone else's property without their permission ( I believe this is common in most countries ) SO..... The most important button on your controller becomes the button that flips your camera gimbal from vertical to horizontal
I use this to fly near to ( but not over ) the boundary between the property I have permission to drone, and that of the neighbor ) (US spelling :) )

8) Try to shoot along the roof rather than at 90 degrees to the gutters so as to avoid crossing onto other peoples land. Or from the roof ridge back towards the gutters rather than the other way around. Or verticals

9) Also bear in mind that the minimum focusing distance for the MA2 is approx 500mm ( 18 inches ) so you need to get quite close to see minute details but going into video mode then using the 2x zoom can be beneficial here )

10) Watch for wind causing turbulence near roof ridges on in valleys between roof ridges. Seemingly light winds can play havoc with the drone near other surfaces

Anyway, I hope that's useful

Stay safe everyone

Greetings from NZ ( Covid free for now )

Cheers, Stu

Reactions: NG Wildman
I managed to get my wife to “Let me buy” a new MA2 as I “Needed” it for my business (Swimming pool care & maintenance) and in particular, aerial inspections of customers roof-mounted solar pool heating systems. I have to say that it’s paid for itself several times over in new business and it means I no longer need to physically climb ladders and risk falling off the roof!!

I managed to get my wife to “Let me buy” a new MA2 as I “Needed” it for my business (Swimming pool care & maintenance) and in particular, aerial inspections of customers roof-mounted solar pool heating systems. I have to say that it’s paid for itself several times over in new business and it means I no longer need to physically climb ladders and risk falling off the roof!!

@DronePhotosNZ Many thanks for that, some awesome tips there I appreciate the effort!

I dont plan on doing anything commercially (yet...) but will probably offer to check the neighbors roofs to keep them on side as long as they sign a waiver.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929