DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Compass Calibrating Location

TheFlyingGuy1

Reactions
Sorry if something like this has been asked. I didn’t see anything in search.
Hello!
I will need to calibrate the compass on the new MA2 but I have a few questions about the location to calibrate it.
The best place I have near me is about 20 feet directly under a power line with dirt and bushes all around. I don’t have a grass open area or anything. It is the very end of a small power line and there’s a large cell tower about 200ft away. Will I be ok to calibrate there or do I need to find an open park?
Thank You!
I hope this is the correct category. I apologize if it is not

Ok. There’s also a school behind me with a huge grass field. Maybe I can go there. I wonder if the cell tower about 150-200 ft away will be an issue
Transmissions from a cell tower won't have any effect on your compass at any distance.
The cell tower itself might have an effect ... but only if you are within a couple of feet of it.

Reactions: Thomas B
Transmissions from a cell tower won't have any effect on your compass at any distance.
The cell tower itself might have an effect ... but only if you are within a couple of feet of it.
Ok cool. I just want to make sure it’s done right since the MA2 does not have a backup compass and IMU. I also want to confirm the IMU is fine to calibrate on a table indoors right?

Ok. There’s also a school behind me with a huge grass field. Maybe I can go there. I wonder if the cell tower about 150-200 ft away will be an issue
That should be fine. Just be sure to avoid metal objects, conctrete, and that location should be good.

Reactions: TheFlyingGuy1
Ok cool. I just want to make sure it’s done right since the MA2 does not have a backup compass and IMU. I also want to confirm the IMU is fine to calibrate on a table indoors right?
Your IMU probably doesn't need recalibration anyway but if you were to recalibrate it, all you need is a perfectly level surface.
the IMU is not affected by electromagnetic fields.

Your IMU probably doesn't need recalibration anyway but if you were to recalibrate it, all you need is a perfectly level surface.
the IMU is not affected by electromagnetic fields.
Got it thank you!
Thank you to everyone who replied. I got an extremely fast and great answer!

Yes, I use my dining room table for the imu, make sure its level if you can

Reactions: TheFlyingGuy1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salvator419