DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maiden Flight

KB4MTO

Reactions
I am a new pilot and a new Mavic Mini owner. I have had my drone for about a month, but haven't had it outside yet. So far my flying has been indoors which is less than exciting.

Today was my first outside flight. It was so much fun. I'm amazed at how much easier it is to fly outside than inside. To say I am hooked is an understatement. At this stage my focus is on flying, not videography. That will come later.

Here is the second flight. I was already in the air when I started the video. This morning I got around 45 minutes of flight time. This afternoon I will get about an hour to fly. I am charging up all three batteries and the controller just to make sure I can get as much time in as possible.

I hope to have more videos to post as I get better at flying this drone.

Last edited:
glad you got it in the air i know you are new try flying in C mode next time and go easy on that yaw control i had to look away a couple of times as my head was spinning ,not critisising just offering some friendly advice keep up the good work

Last edited:
Reactions: THE CYBORG
glad you got it in the air i know you are new try fling in C mode next time and go easy on that yaw control i had to look away a couple of times as my head was spinning ,not critisising just offering some friendly advice keep up the good work

No criticism taken, I appreciate the advice. By yaw you mean turning with the left stick, right? I notice I turn a little more smoothly when watching the screen rather than watching the drone. Should I be adding any right stick when turning?

Thanks!

No criticism taken, I appreciate the advice. By yaw you mean turning with the left stick, right? I notice I turn a little more smoothly when watching the screen rather than watching the drone. Should I be adding any right stick when turning?

Thanks!
you can add some right stick which will make the turn less aggressive it just takes practice ,if you try C mode that slows everything down and gives a much smoother flight

you can add some right stick which will make the turn less aggressive it just takes practice ,if you try C mode that slows everything down and gives a much smoother flight

Great, thanks. I'll try C mode and a little right stick this afternoon and see how it goes.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi @KB4MTO. I have a couple words of caution: be mindful of higher winds aloft - try to leave with a headwind and return with a tailwind, and get familiar with the pause button on the RC. C mode will dampen turns and breaking so it will take longer to do both. The pause button acts like an emergency stop and is the fastest way to put on the breaks.

Hi @KB4MTO. I have a couple words of caution: be mindful of higher winds aloft - try to leave with a headwind and return with a tailwind, and get familiar with the pause button on the RC. C mode will dampen turns and breaking so it will take longer to do both. The pause button acts like an emergency stop and is the fastest way to put on the breaks.

Great advice, thank you very much. I wasn't even aware of the pause button. I read the instructions when I first got the drone. I think it's time to break them back out and read them cover to cover.

I went back out this afternoon to fly some more. I left the house with dead air. I arrived at the field and the winds had increased to about 30 MPH solid. So I didn't get any more flying in today.

Thanks again for the advice. I am very new to flying drones.

...I went back out this afternoon to fly some more. I left the house with dead air. I arrived at the field and the winds had increased to about 30 MPH solid. So I didn't get any more flying in today...
Good for you! There have been too many "fly away" posts that were really operator error due to flying in high winds. Congratulations on not becoming one more.

Reactions: old man mavic
Good for you! There have been too many "fly away" posts that were really operator error due to flying in high winds. Congratulations on not becoming one more.

Thanks, I might be a new pilot, but I do understand basic physics: High winds + lightweight drone = insurance claim ;)

I think it's smart to just fly it at first and get used to the controls without having to worry about slow panning and yawing etc.

That said you yawed so hard at one point that the props showed up which is no easy feat on the Mini so "props" for that ?

Is that the props showing up left and right yaw or do you have a prop protection on?

I think it's smart to just fly it at first and get used to the controls without having to worry about slow panning and yawing etc.

That said you yawed so hard at one point that the props showed up which is no easy feat on the Mini so "props" for that ?

Thanks for confirming my plan. I think trying to learn to fly and take videos would be a bit much.

Maybe I've been watching too many freestyle FPV videos ;)

Is that the props showing up left and right yaw or do you have a prop protection on?

Prop Protection. I'm leaving them on until flying feels more natural.

Thanks!
I know nothing about the MINI (I have had a Mavic Air and. Mavic 2 Pro) but I would imagine you need to do some calibrations of the sticks to slow down the YAW responses like I have done in these other drones. Go on You Tube and search for "best Settings" for Mavic Mini tutorials. All of the stick functions are over-zealous in the factory settings an you want to slow down the reactions to avoid fast YAWs, and gimbal movements.

I know nothing about the MINI (I have had a Mavic Air and. Mavic 2 Pro) but I would imagine you need to do some calibrations of the sticks to slow down the YAW responses like I have done in these other drones. Go on You Tube and search for "best Settings" for Mavic Mini tutorials. All of the stick functions are over-zealous in the factory settings an you want to slow down the reactions to avoid fast YAWs, and gimbal movements.

Awesome info, thanks. I will look it up and do them today as it is a rainy day and flying is out.

Welcome Hank!
You are in good hands on this forum.
Keep learning in theory and practice ...and sense of humour.
Stay safe in the air and on the ground....from Down Under

Welcome Hank!
You are in good hands on this forum.
Keep learning in theory and practice ...and sense of humour.
Stay safe in the air and on the ground....from Down Under

Thanks, this seems to be an awesome forum.

I found one R/C forum that was loaded with info, but a lot of the contributors were kinda nasty and arrogant. I like the encouragement and sincere people that I have found here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato