DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making money with drone shots?

That's actually a better business model. Lots of photographers post their work around liberally on the internet, hoping somebody will steal it, where they never would have paid for it, and have an attorney on retainer to pursue settlement claims. Some even deliberately leave their copyright off the image, so it looks like its in the public domain, and then claim the user deliberately removed the original copyright. A friend got caught in the middle of one of these lawsuits, as the web designer, where he was supplied the stolen image by the client 5 years earlier, and the client tried to pin it on him, claiming he supplied the image to them, after they got sued. He was quoted a $10,000 retainer just to answer the complaint! Fortunately, he was able to prove the image originally came from the client, as he found the original correspondence on an older computer, and the plaintiff dismissed him. His client ended up settling the case for over $20,000! Nothing remarkable about the image either. Crazy world out there!

LOL, a business model? That’s bad. I don’t try to let my work get stollen, in fact I do put obvious copyright watermarks on them with white or black font, and the website I post them has a notice as well. Maybe I should change that up anbit to make more? ;)

Again, see post #12 above. No 107 license needed to sell what you have already shot recreationally. Once you have a commercial intent, then you need a 107 for any future flights shot thereafter with that intent.
Good to know. Thank you!

LOL, a business model? That’s bad. I don’t try to let my work get stollen, in fact I do put obvious copyright watermarks on them with white or black font, and the website I post them has a notice as well. Maybe I should change that up anbit to make more? ;)
Years ago, I was skiing in Italy, staying in a hotel that featured artistic tables made by a local artist on their outdoor patio, used by the guests. Each table had a custom top. They were apparently priced at $10,000 each. The teenage son of one of our group moved one of the tables to bring two together for our group. The table top was not attached to the base, and it fell off the base and shattered. His mother was presented with a bill for the $10,000, and she was not allowed to leave the country until she paid it! This is a common scam played on tourists. Apparently, this was how the artwork was "sold". You break it, you buy it, and we'll make sure you can break it easily! :oops:

Reactions: AMann
It is kinda nice when you push your way to the front row of a large crowd at an event with a big lens. The seas part, like they did for Moses. They give you respect! :cool: However, owning a plumber's wrench does not make you a plumber. You still have to have the expertise to know when and how to use it. At least you won't have the crowd in your shots!

It can be nice sometimes, but when I have my 500mm at the zoo I do eventually get tired of the comments like "I bet you can see the moon with that lens!" pretty quick....nope, it's just big because of the aperture and the fact that it has to cover a full frame image circle - your point & shoot probably has more "zoom" haha.

It can be nice sometimes, but when I have my 500mm at the zoo I do eventually get tired of the comments like "I bet you can see the moon with that lens!" pretty quick....nope, it's just big because of the aperture and the fact that it has to cover a full frame image circle - your point & shoot probably has more "zoom" haha.
It also gets the immediate attention of security, demanding to see your Media Pass, because you are using "professional" equipment! "But I am not with the Media." "Then you will have to remove your equipment from the premises, and come back without it." When you are trying to blend in, and not attract attention, the M2 Pro is usually a better choice than the I2 or the P4P.

Reactions: CanadaDrone

I bought an older surplus MF 600/f4 from Reuters News Agency in NY, it weighs a ton and gets way too much attention in public. I just use it for wildlife and astrophotography, and had a lot of chances to use it in my old job, but not anymore. Poor thing hasn’t seen daylight for at least a year since the 2017 eclipse... Now that I’ve bought a flying camera, my interest in photography with my other camera and lenses has also returned.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deauxpamine