DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manual Panorama settings for M2Pro

hardman

Reactions
Can someone advise me on panoramas? I wasn't impressed with the pano setting in the app; the results look too distorted, so I took 5 overlapping raw images and used LR panorama to stitch them. Only 3 raw images were stitched. I didn't use infinity manual focus so I'm thinking different focal lengths was the issue? What settings are advised?

Attachments

• showers at dawn.jpg
    showers at dawn.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 59
If you want to take a manual Pano the process is exactly the same as with a traditional camera - take as many shots as you want, overlapping as you go, and make sure there is enough detail for the program to match. Focus wont matter as long as it isn't way off and the program has enough detail to match up the frames. There would be no reason to take a panorama and change focal lengths mid-pano though. If you have the Pro you aren't changing any focal lengths anyway.

I suggest you just keep using the automated mode, but enable the option in the menu to save the panorama images as individual RAW files - then just take those into Lightroom and you can make a way better pano than anything the drone will output.

If you want to take a manual Pano the process is exactly the same as with a traditional camera - take as many shots as you want, overlapping as you go, and make sure there is enough detail for the program to match. Focus wont matter as long as it isn't way off and the program has enough detail to match up the frames. There would be no reason to take a panorama and change focal lengths mid-pano though. If you have the Pro you aren't changing any focal lengths anyway.

I suggest you just keep using the automated mode, but enable the option in the menu to save the panorama images as individual RAW files - then just take those into Lightroom and you can make a way better pano than anything the drone will output.
Thanks, I agree with a lot you've said although I'll try both manual and auto for comparison. Bushie put me onto Hugin, a free download to stitch images. I put my 3 image pano and the other 2 images together very quickly. Problem solved! Very low light for these so control points were an issue; 23 was the most I could find between any 2 images. I'm happy with the result given the shots taken. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Showers at Dawn Yarra Valley.jpg
    Showers at Dawn Yarra Valley.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: CanadaDrone

Where is this menu option? I haven't been able to find it.

I’m new to M2Pro but my first manual pano was perfect -just like DSLR. I aim for about 30% overlap -turn on grids as aid. Use manual exp. I get perfect results processing with adobe camera raw to stitch the panos. Then I process the image carefully BEFORE opening in PShop. You can get a VERY high res image with multiple stills.
I snap 8-12 frames with DSLR. Some files are 1.5gb -16bit.
M2Pro is almost as good as DSLR when processed properly.
Here’s the key: SHOOT WITH GIMBAL IN PORTRAIT (vertical) mode. Then your aspect ratio wont be so narrow top-bottom. There’s an excellent YouTube tut on this.

Reactions: panoramia
Where is this menu option? I haven't been able to find it.
It's in the photo settings, if you click on the rack-wheel you'll find the option like 'Save individual DNG/RAW for panorama' ... it will then prompt you, then it may consume a considerable amount of space to do so.

Sorry that I cannot provide a screenshot or the real name, but here's a screenshot from someone else in the DJI forum:
194207r424nnnnkt2n2tk0.jpg

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom