DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map of Recreational Flying Sites

kadras

Reactions
The FAA has updated its UAS Facility Map by adding the new recreational UAS flying sites. ArcGIS Web Application The memo that came out the other day stated there are under 200 of them and indeed, there are 193 on the map. The closest one to me is 29 miles away and the next closest is 283 miles away. This shows why I believe that the new Limited Recreational Flyers are not restricted to these sites. Those mileages are "as the drone flies," not driving mileages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Were you thinking that those sites were your only option?

The "Fixed Flying Sites" are only for LR operating in Controlled Airspace.... so if you're wanting to fly in Controlled Airspace (B, C, D, Surface E) then you'll have to find a fixed site or wait on the LAANC system to be operational for LR flights (estimated 180 days away).

If you're flying in Class G (everything else) then you can fly just about anywhere that doesn't have "additional" restrictions.

The "Fixed Flying Sites" are only for LR operating in Controlled Airspace.... so if you're wanting to fly in Controlled Airspace (B, C, D, Surface E) then you'll have to find a fixed site or wait on the LAANC system to be operational for LR flights (estimated 180 days away).

If you're flying in Class G (everything else) then you can fly just about anywhere that doesn't have "additional" restrictions.
This is the exact answer I have been looking for! Thank you!

This is the exact answer I have been looking for! Thank you!

Anytime. It's easy to get confused especially when the information from the FAA isn't completely clear and written by attorneys. It should get better as the information is properly digested and then broken down into more common terms etc.

Reactions: Bobvt
The FAA has updated its UAS Facility Map by adding the new recreational UAS flying sites. ArcGIS Web Application The memo that came out the other day stated there are under 200 of them and indeed, there are 193 on the map. The closest one to me is 29 miles away and the next closest is 283 miles away. This shows why I believe that the new Limited Recreational Flyers are not restricted to these sites. Those mileages are "as the drone flies," not driving mileages.

View attachment 72480

This is a great and very user friendly app!

That sounds good, but the advice I was given by the FAA Tower supervisor for KCOS was simple enough as well. He simply stated there are no MOAs for fixed flying sites, in this area, and Food Chain advised him to inform hobbyists to use the step charts (50, 100, 150, etc), and so I shall!

That sounds good, but the advice I was given by the FAA Tower supervisor for KCOS was simple enough as well. He simply stated there are no MOAs for fixed flying sites, in this area, and Food Chain advised him to inform hobbyists to use the step charts (50, 100, 150, etc), and so I shall!

I just hope you got that in writing as "He said" will not hold up if there is an incident or investigation.

Reactions: Former Member
I just hope you got that in writing as "He said" will not hold up if there is an incident or investigation.
Not in writing, but he did continue to inform me that since I have the 107 to just submit LAANC. So, all my flights will be LAANC until FAA realizes what they’ve just done.

The FWIW dept: local ATC is sympathic with the UAS pilots as they are aware of a growing UAS population and the fact that about half the city is in the 5 mile radius base of class c. So, with the lack of any real adult supervision from up the food chain, even the ATC is anxiously awaiting word.

Not in writing, but he did continue to inform me that since I have the 107 to just submit LAANC. So, all my flights will be LAANC until FAA realizes what they’ve just done.

The FWIW dept: local ATC is sympathic with the UAS pilots as they are aware of a growing UAS population and the fact that about half the city is in the 5 mile radius base of class c. So, with the lack of any real adult supervision from up the food chain, even the ATC is anxiously awaiting word.

I live in COS also and will useLAANC with my 107. Just to be safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio