DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map on RC connected to Wi-Fi data (on mobile phone)

leebroath

Reactions
Can I just ask if anyone has any info on this?

Is it true that you need a connection between your iPhone and the RC, to be able to open up the map bottom left to see where you are?

Does this mean you don’t have access to this map if you forget your phone lest say?

is this the first time it’s happened, as the smart controller or RC Pro didn’t need a connection to the phone

It's said so, on my Smart Controller with the M2P I could however pre-cache specific areas before.
Not that it was the best or comfortable, as they limited the map selection rectangle in size, but still could buffer many regions in advance.

But given it's DJI, I would not put my hand into the fire, that they retain some clever features though.

Reactions: leebroath
You need EITHER a wifi connection to the controller to cache map data or a hot-spot connection to your cell phone from the controller to get local maps. Can't imagine any other way unless they have every map in the world pre-loaded onto the controller. Using wifi only you would have to pre-load the map from where you are connected for where you will be. to fly.

Maybe I’m going to deep into this one.

Previously with my smart controller and Mavic 2 pro I’d take the drone up and fly about etc, then to bring it back I would sometimes click on the map, point and follow the line back to my house.

So DJI now want me to connect my phone to my RC to do this, or am I going down the wrong garden path…

Yes I know VLOS etc etc

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Well, if it (the new DJI RC) has a GPS (it does) and if it uses DJI Fly (which it does) and if it uses Android as an O/S (which we can only assume it does) I'd bet a a McDonalds happy mean you can cache maps. :D :D

• Haha
Reactions: leebroath
Sorry, just getting paranoid at this whole connection to mobile stuff

I once had a Tomtom that was great and had an inbuilt sim…then Tomtom decided it was a much better idea (which it wasn’t) to only allow customers to hotspot their mobile data to their new released devices, which in turn reduced battery life! Madness

Maybe I’m going to deep into this one.

Previously with my smart controller and Mavic 2 pro I’d take the drone up and fly about etc, then to bring it back I would sometimes click on the map, point and follow the line back to my house.

So DJI now want me to connect my phone to my RC to do this, or am I going down the wrong garden path…

Yes I know VLOS etc etc

If memory serves (and it has been a long time since I tried) you still have the line to follow home, just not the map detail of streets and stuff below it for reference if you didn't cache the maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa