DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavericks footage (not mine)

MavicPeter

Reactions
This is some pretty amazing footage of surfing at Mavericks out near Pillar Point Harbor/Half Moon Bay: (The footage is not mine)

Had one question though, in this footage there is also a helicopter that's noticeably close to the drone. This doesn't seem safe but would it somehow be permissible if the drone pilot and helicopter pilot were in communication with each other? Just asking out of curiosity since I would never consider flying with manned aircraft so close.

Reactions: wesleydk
Just a question... are you sure the footage is shot from a drone?
Someone may be doing helicopter surfing like May do helicopter skiing.

Just a question... are you sure the footage is shot from a drone?
Someone may be doing helicopter surfing like May do helicopter skiing.
That is a good question.

Firstly, you can see other drones fly into view at these times in the clip and many other drones throughout:
(7:34)
(8:28)

Secondly you can barely make out the forward props on the right side of the drone just after 6:17 as the drone begins to accelerate forward but before the camera gimbal tilts downward:

If you have ever caught your own drones' props in video footage this is unmistakable. Based on this I'm fairly certain the footage is from a drone.

Lastly I've seen plenty of other footage at Mavericks where drones are clearly visible, but this is the first time I've seen them flown in such close proximity to a helicopter, which to me, seems unsafe. Hence my original question.

Reactions: Thomas B
That is a good question.

Firstly, you can see other drones fly into view at these times in the clip and many other drones throughout:
(7:34)
(8:28)

Secondly you can barely make out the forward props on the right side of the drone just after 6:17 as the drone begins to accelerate forward but before the camera gimbal tilts downward:

If you have ever caught your own drones' props in video footage this is unmistakable. Based on this I'm fairly are certain the footage is from a drone.

Lastly I've seen plenty of other footage at Mavericks where drones are clearly visible, but this is the first time I've seen them flown in such close proximity to a helicopter, which to me, seems unsafe. Hence my original question.
Obviously filmed by a professional. This is probably during a competition where the surfers are known and jet skiis are coordinated and I am sure the helicopters as well. Great footage especially if you are a surfer. Like to know which drone they are using.

Reactions: MavicPeter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgoodha