DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Controller to TriPod Adapter . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
While I realize this "could" go in the General tab I'm specifically needing this solution to work with my Mavic 2 controller. I need a way to connect the M2P controller to a standard TriPod for those longer flights where I'm standing (maybe sitting) and just watching the aircraft zig/zap, lawnmower, and circle the job site autonomously.

I'm running the M2P controller with the MavMount "iPad" adapter in the phone slot if that even matters.

Allen

Assuming the MavMount uses a mormal tripod ballhead with either a 1/4 UNC? or 3/8UNC? screw clamping the Ballhead to the Aluminium plate.

Remove the screw, make up a spacer drilled and tapped to take the tripod's screw on one side and drilled and tapped to take the ballhead's screw on the other side. Get a piece of studding or threaded bar with the ballhead's thread and cut it so that it is long enough to screw into the ball head (to the same depth as the original screw), through the plate and into the spacer.
The holes in the spacer need not be concentric and the spacer could be wood if you can find appropriate thread inserts.
If the spacer is cylindrical I would make its diameter as wide as possible without fouling the controller or the controller's arms. 'Ditto' rectangular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you PF for a very well explained and detailed suggestion.

I'm embarrassed to admit that my MavMount is indeed already Tripod Ready but I had totally forgotten about that aspect since I haven't looked at the back of it in maybe 2 years *duh moment*.

Thank you PF for a very well explained and detailed suggestion.

I'm embarrassed to admit that my MavMount is indeed already Tripod Ready but I had totally forgotten about that aspect since I haven't looked at the back of it in maybe 2 years *duh moment*.

Heh, if it helps, I subscribed to this thread for the answer, also forgetting that the MavMount is tripod ready.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Heh, if it helps, I subscribed to this thread for the answer, also forgetting that the MavMount is tripod ready.

Chris

Makes me feel a little better LOL!

For those reading this who don't have the MavMount (which is apparently Tripod ready LOL) here is another option and one that looks very solid and viable:

Just as a matter of interest where the screw on the tripod is 1/4"UNC? e.g. on a "quick release plate" and the hole into which you wish to fit that screw is 3/8"UNC? there are ready made adapters, i.e. 'tubes' with a 1/4"UNC? bore and a 3/8"UNC outer thread. The 'problem' is many are intended to screw into a counter sunk or recessed hole, if they are screwed into an un-recessed hole they stand proud via their shoulder which is not good in terms of stability of the whatever that is 'mounted' .

Well after looking into this a bit more unfortunately my MavMount won't work in this capacity. Even though they have TWO different 1/4x20 inserts the Transmitter mount uses one of them and the remaining one is in the wrong angle/position to be a TriPod mount. For this reason I'm going to replace my MavMount with a

LifThor Mjolnir for DJI Mavic Series​

which I ordered just a few minutes ago.

Utilizing a Tripod mount will greatly enhance comfort and reduce neck/back strain on those long days of Mapping large properties.

I am slightly puzzled by this, were you attempt to mount this directly on the tripod?
I assumed, to some extent, you'd be using a pan and tilt head with a quick release mechanism all mounted on the tripod.

I am slightly puzzled by this, were you attempt to mount this directly on the tripod?
I assumed, to some extent, you'd be using a pan and tilt head with a quick release mechanism all mounted on the tripod.

I want to mount the Remote Control (along with viewing device) to the top of a Tripod as a single unit. This way I can have it eye level while I'm doing long flights whether standing up or sitting in a chair/hatch of my car etc.

Talk about Customer Service... the owner of MavMounts saw this thread and reached out to me. Come to find out, I don't need to buy ANYTHING! I just wasn't paying attention and missed the fact that with some re-arranging the MavMount itself is Tripod compatible. He's going to make a new video showing this feature and how it is done.

Thank you MavMount for being proactive and helping me "see the light" LOL!

I understand to some extent what you are saying but, and citing my own gear, Manfrotto or Benbo, a tripod normally has just an un-alterable flat head with a 3/8 UNC screw thread sticking out of it.
The norm is to then attach some form of head to that screw and the screw clamps the head to the tripod. The head being designed to allow you alter the orientation of the camera, that will be attached to head in various way, up to (expressed in drone language) pan/yaw, pitch and roll.
With some heads the camera is actually clamped/screwed to a plate (QRP, Quick Release Plate) and the plate is then inserted into a recess in the head and clamped in place. Normally the clamping mechanism is either a single screw mechanism or a lever operated cam, all designed to facilitate the quick removal and fitting of the plate and camera from the head. E.g. a Manfrotto 141RC head and its 200PL QRP .
Looking at a still at 1:52 from
I think the 200PL would attach to either of those MavMount plates without difficulty.
You could even mount another ball head in the tripod and screw or clamp the MavMount plate to that 2nd ballhead.
Another idea might be the Benbo Trekker (a weird but sometimes useful) tripod which has a tiltable/pitchable arm +- 90deg with a 1/4screw at each end.
I can probably cobble together lash-ups tomorrow if you want photos.
A third option might be some form of Arca Swiss mounting with the MavMount plate being mounted on/screwed to one of the readily available Chinese copy extender plates.

I'll be utilizing a QRP screwed directly into the screw that goes through the "Orange Plate" (in that image it's Orange) into the swivel head of the tablet mount.

MavMount_Tripod1.jpg

MavMount_Tripod2.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661