DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Enterprise thermal camera parameters

amazing project. while it is definitely interesting to have a switchable dual camera solution - would it be doable to make a simpler cheaper one - just a direct swap gimbal with a thermal camera only, but so it would go as a direct replacement of the original gimbal into the existing mavic 2 zoom body with no other modifications needed?

also, of the video processing gear on top - it looks like it sits right above the gps unit - is gps still fully operational in this solution?
The original plan was to fit a Boson 640 with a 14mm lens onto the original Zoom gimbal, which is perfectly doable. I got as far as doing all the CAD files for the gimbal modifications and the circuitry for moving the IMU onto a custom board on the back of the Boson, but then I realised that it doesn't make much sense to just have a thermal camera only, as every other offering on the market now has both visual and thermal options. For daylight work the visual camera (especially with the 4x zoom in 1080p video mode) is invaluable.

It wouldn't be any cheaper to do it this way and the other modifications to the drone would be required still. We also figured that we may as well use the camera that comes with the drone instead of throwing it away.

The components in the top sit about 1.5cm forward of the edge of the GPS antenna and are quite heavily shielded, so the GPS seems to work as normal. I have included an option to move the GPS antenna in to the top of our "hat" module if required, however.

You can find many details in the thermal and non thermal exif data. In you know any unix the command is
exif <imagename>
The themal resolution is better than cited in the below postings. Perhaps I have a later model. The manual I have that came with my Mavic Enterprise Thermal says
Image Width 640
Image Length 360
Pixel pitch 12um (sensor resolution)
HFOV 57 degrees (Horozontal field of view)
Aperture f/1.1
The sensor size and crop factor are difficult to locate on any of the specification sheets perhaps someone at Mavic can elaborate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS