DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro 4K video Questions

Jeffrey Journey

Reactions
Hello,

I am a relative novice to this hobby and to level set I am going from a spark to a Mavic 2 Pro so it's quite a jump for me. My questions center around the 4K video capability of the Mavic 2 Pro which is all new to me.

Question-1
When I attempt to download my captured 4K video to my iPad mini4 I get a message stating something like I have to record my video in 1K in order to download to the iPad. Yes I know 4K has more resolution and subsequently larger files compared to 1080 (1K) video but video data is video data. I could understand the iPad (or the DJI Go4 app) complaining about not being able to play the 4K video but to fail to download it is perplexing to me.

Question-2
As I have no experience with 4K video I am not having any success when attempting to play the video from my micro SD card on my windows 7 laptop. Appears that quick time and or the windows media player can't play the 4K video. If this is indeed true then what applications do you folks use in order to play your 4K videos?

Thanks,
Jeff

Welcome to the world of 4K video! As for your first question, this is a limitation that Apple imposes on iPads and unfortunately there’s not much you can do about it. As for the second, working with relatively high bit-rate video like those that come off of the Mavic 2 are very tough on computer hardware. For smooth playback, you need beefy specs on your computer (especially the graphics card) and I’m guessing that since your computer is running Windows 7, it’s probably at least a few years old and may be challenged getting this to work well. Finally, reading off the SD card is problematic because most of these cards can’t deliver the data fast enough for smooth playback.. You need to copy the files to an internal hard drive (preferably an SSD) or a fast external hard drive connected at least with USB 3.

Thanks for the reply and information...disappointing to hear about the apple limitation. As suggested I copied the 4K mp4 files to my laptop SSD and used quicktime to play them. The video was a little choppy so this tells me that this will not be the long time solution to view these videos.
Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions...
BTW SteelFlyer I see you are in Charlotte...I'm in Concord...small world...stay safe...it's wet and windy today...

Thanks for the reply and information...disappointing to hear about the apple limitation. As suggested I copied the 4K mp4 files to my laptop SSD and used quicktime to play them. The video was a little choppy so this tells me that this will not be the long time solution to view these videos.
Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions...
BTW SteelFlyer I see you are in Charlotte...I'm in Concord...small world...stay safe...it's wet and windy today...

It is indeed a small world. I left to go out of the country just as the hurricane rain was starting to hit. Hopefully my house is fine but won’t know for sure until I return. I hope all is well up your way.

I use an SD card reader that plugs into lightning port ($6.95 on Amazon) on iPhone or iPad. From there, import the videos to apple device (prompt comes up as soon as SD card is inserted) and bring the videos into iMovie. Once they have been in iMovie it allows me to save a 4K version directly to my camera roll on iPhone or iPad. I have tested the results from loading directly from my Mavic in GO 4 (1080p maximum resolution) and through the above stated process and can confirm that there is a quality difference when streamed on my 4K tv. Apple does not like to display anything in 4K unless recorded directly with the device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54