DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro choppy/jittery video?

ZACJAC

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I've noticed the video from my Mavic 2 Pro looks choppy whenever I'm panning or tilting (especially tilting) the gimbal. Even when flying forward, the video near the edges of the frame looks the same. Super frustrating.

This very well could be a frame rate issue. I shot the linked video at 24fps at a shutter of 50, on a brand new Sandisk 64gb extreme card. It starts to looks very choppy when I tilt the gimbal up around the 0:10 mark.

Video: Mavic Pilots video - Google Drive

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any advice?

Thanks!

24 fps requires very slow pans and zooms. There is a real skill to filming at 24 fps. Look at old movies background and you will see jerkiness. For faster pans you will need 50 or 60 fps.

Yeah I even tuned my gimbal sensitivity to be much slower. Need some more practice! Thanks.

are you in tripod mode? this smooths out some of the movements.

Also, you can go into the "EXP" setting and set the value to .10 or so and the curve will change (flattens out in the middle of the "X" axis) which means the sticks 'deaden' when you apply pressure - this slows down the response of the sticks and therefore the gimble response)

I am brand new and so my understanding and how to explain it may be wrong... but I'm sure others will correct any details I am getting wrong.

Reactions: ZACJAC
Hello everyone,

I've noticed the video from my Mavic 2 Pro looks choppy whenever I'm panning or tilting (especially tilting) the gimbal. Even when flying forward, the video near the edges of the frame looks the same. Super frustrating.

This very well could be a frame rate issue. I shot the linked video at 24fps at a shutter of 50, on a brand new Sandisk 64gb extreme card. It starts to looks very choppy when I tilt the gimbal up around the 0:10 mark.

Video: Mavic Pilots video - Google Drive

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any advice?

Thanks!
You say you have a brand new SD card ... Does it have a U3 (UHS speed class 3) logo on it? If it's a U1 card, it may be that it's not fast enough to write HD video!
ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg Like this one ...

Last edited:
this is a 1080p video. is it downloaded from the controller/phone cache or from drone`s SD card? like others said - set it to 4K30 mode, set shutter to 1/60 or around with a proper ND filter to accommodate light conditions and see what will happen.
footage recorded in the controller cache is almost always very choppy, due to, imho, transmission delays and issues.

Hello

Is there a way how to fix or at least improve such video?
I've shoot it with Litchi app, orbit mode, ISO 100, ND filter 8
Height: 45m Radius: 45 m Speed: Approx 1 min for full circle
Video details: MPEG4 Video (H264) 2688x1512 23.976fps 50067kbps [V: h264 high L5.0, yuv420p, 2688x1512, 50067 kb/s]
Center of rotation is more or less OK, but movement at video edges doesn't look fluid.
I know about rule: shutter should be double of fps, and I tried to achieve it but video still doesn't look nice I know now that orbit should have been slower..
I wonder is this possible to fix with specialized software, like Premiere or After effects or Davinci Resolve?

Any suggestion will be more than appreciated

Hello

Is there a way how to fix or at least improve such video?
I've shoot it with Litchi app, orbit mode, ISO 100, ND filter 8
Height: 45m Radius: 45 m Speed: Approx 1 min for full circle
Video details: MPEG4 Video (H264) 2688x1512 23.976fps 50067kbps [V: h264 high L5.0, yuv420p, 2688x1512, 50067 kb/s]
Center of rotation is more or less OK, but movement at video edges doesn't look fluid.
I know about rule: shutter should be double of fps, and I tried to achieve it but video still doesn't look nice I know now that orbit should have been slower..
I wonder is this possible to fix with specialized software, like Premiere or After effects or Davinci Resolve?

Any suggestion will be more than appreciated

I had trouble playing the video in the thread but the link seems to work:

Getting the link to work seems an issue. www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSGgTrPcNR8&feature=ytmp4

I thought the focal point, the round building looked good. Not sure if that means the focus along the edges has to suffer.

I had trouble playing the video in the thread but the link seems to work:

Getting the link to work seems an issue. www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSGgTrPcNR8&feature=ytmp4

I thought the focal point, the round building looked good. Not sure if that means the focus along the edges has to suffer.
Yes ... both the OP's clip in his initial post & your orbit clip have probably a lot to do with to quick... sort of panning, this in relation to the frame rate & shutter speed.

Check this --> https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed

Reactions: Krx
Hello
Thanks for the inputs.
I spent good portion of the weekend learning about this effect which is actually called judder.
This plague all video cameras, especially those with electronic shutter.
I used ND8 filter but I would have better results with ND16 one and with slower pan.
It seems that Ill spend another day orbiting my house while testing all combinations of ND filter,
shutter and orbit speed until I find perfect combo.
Regards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada