DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro "fine art" style shots/edits. Not so off the fence vs P4 Pro...

Gemini8026

Reactions
DoubleU3.jpg DoubleU4.jpg DoubleU2.jpg View attachment 45855 Hlo all. Jeff from Canada here. I enjoy doing various styles of photography. I like doing fine art style photos/edits using drones. So if you dont like processing then feel free to ignore. I went from a Phantom 4 Pro that I sold for the Mavic 2 pro. I am not sure if that was the smart move. I lost a fair bit, and the image quality actually suffers so far in my opinion. Im not sure if it is my copy or what, but my Mavic photos seem softer and a fair bit weaker in the corners. I havent ever fully experimented with the various apertures but after trying a bunch, and comparing them to my p4 pro photos, I just feel that it took a better sharper photo.

The portability is awesome.......

But I hate giving up image quality, it is like that holy grail that we will sacrifice other qualities for. I do my landscape photography with a Nikon D850 with my 14-24 F2.8 as well as my 20mm F1.8 Nikon lenses, so I am REALLY spoiled by having essentially some of the highest quality equiptment you can buy for landscape photography,

So I am on the fence. It isnt TERRIBLE, but the P4 Pro wasnt MORE terrible.

I need the sharpness of an inspire with a quality M4/3 lens. I actually owned an Inspire 1 with the olympus 12mm lens. It was great for the month that I owned it. I quickly sold it when I realised I was WAY too anxious when flying that thing. 5500$ Cdn was way too much for a hobbyist to spend on something that can be EASILY lost or destroyed (I had a P4 Pro drop on me randomly that DJI replaced, I know this lesson).

Anyhow, will be curious to see what others think about the camera vs the P4 Pro. I think those of us who bought them appreciate higher quality photography.

View attachment 45849 View attachment 45850 View attachment 45851 View attachment 45852

Last edited:
Reactions: Goof
Those are gorgeous, what settings did you use? I've read somewhere that people are getting the most sharpness around f/4 - f/5.6. Now we finally have a mavic with a variable iris there's still a good case for using ND filters.

So nice. If you can do that sort of photo with M2P then should be happy. You have great eye for this.

Now ive worked out optimum apertures and so on im really impressed with what the M2 can do.
Its still a small sensor, small lens etc but the quality is decent enough. Its not DSLR quality but then it never can be given its size but more than capable a device.

Now ive worked out optimum apertures and so on im really impressed with what the M2 can do.
Its still a small sensor, small lens etc but the quality is decent enough. Its not DSLR quality but then it never can be given its size but more than capable a device.
How did you work out best aperture settings?

By taking a series of photos of the same thing with controlled settings varying the aperture than inspecting the centre and corner details after the event.
Same for ISO ranges.

Reactions: Fleek
Lower left corner of one of my images. Compared to my P4 Pro, the sharpness is a fair bit weaker. Corners especially. Possibly a cheaper lens, or possibly I have a copy with focus/de-centering issues. Either way, for this amount it will appeal to a lot of people, but the hardcore pixel peepers may be quite discouraged.

I regret selling my P4 Pro though, I took a loss in hopes that the new Mavic would equal for still photography. However I only have my drone as a comparison. Looking forward to seeing others RAW files to look into.

Attachments

• DJI_0081-1.jpg
    DJI_0081-1.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 18
This picture doesnt really do much justice because you cannot see the slight misalignment very well. IT appears the element is almost shifted a slight bit to one side more then the other and you can see it when u look from various angles. Very slight but perhaps causes issues?! . Im not sure how much impact this would have, but I am just trying to figure out if I have a weak copy or its just the way things are on this drone.

Attachments

• 20180909_133328.jpg
    20180909_133328.jpg
    878.1 KB · Views: 12
Lower left corner of one of my images. Compared to my P4 Pro, the sharpness is a fair bit weaker. Corners especially. Possibly a cheaper lens, or possibly I have a copy with focus/de-centering issues. Either way, for this amount it will appeal to a lot of people, but the hardcore pixel peepers may be quite discouraged.

I regret selling my P4 Pro though, I took a loss in hopes that the new Mavic would equal for still photography. However I only have my drone as a comparison. Looking forward to seeing others RAW files to look into.
That is seriously blurred. Must be something wrong with how I’m seeing it on iPad?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev