DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - Flyaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfstream4

Reactions
A question for everyone: I experienced a Fly Away on January 21st, 2022 w/ my M2P while working on a job. It took me almost 3 mos. to recover the aircraft, due to it's location atop a water tank aprox 100yds away from where I was controlling. Once I recovered the Drone, "we had a number of personal family experiences" that has kept from me even reaching out about this incident. I actually purchased another aircraft from a private party, and have continued on with no issues.

However:
Today, I came across the damaged drone, and to my surprise - I also found the DJI Flight Record on my harddive. After running the log on the AirData site it would appear to me that the drone flew away for some reason other than operator error.

While I realize that the warranty etc. is long expired, is this a case that I should send in for review and possible assitance, or just forget about it and move on?
A question for DJI: I expierenced a Fly Away on January 21st, 2022 w/ my M2P while working on a job. It took me almost 3 mos. to recover the aircraft, due to it's location atop a water tank aprox 100yds away from where I was controlling. Once I recovered the Drone, "we had a number of personal expierences" that has me even reaching out about this incident. I actualy purchased another aircraft from a private party, and have continued on with no issues.

Today, I came across the damaged drone, and to my surprise - I also found the DJI Flight Record on my hard dive. After running the log on the AirData site it would appear to me that the drone flew away for some reason other than operator error.

While I realize that the warranty etc. is long expired, is this a case that I should send in for review and possible assistance, or just forget about it and move on?

Log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Thank you.
IMG_3614.jpegIMG_3614.jpegIMG_3618.jpegIMG_3619.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
While I realize that the warranty etc. is long expired, is this a case that I should send in for review and possible assitance
They May replace it if it is indeed their fault- So I would talk with them and then send it in.
If you want to fix it Well if the gimble and camera are busted, Then you are already paying the same as you would for a used one from Ebay and you will only save a few bucks from refurb from them if you rebuild it. IMO

Reactions: gulfstream4
What makes you think this is a fly away?
As far as I can see the drone was responding appropriately to the joystick commands.
The log ends at the "Long Beach Sports Arena" roof edge, 250yds from the home point, not 100yds away atop a water tank, is this the correct log?

Last edited:
What makes you think this is a fly away?
As far as I can see the drone was responding appropriately to the joystick commands.
The log ends at the "Long Beach Sports Arena" roof edge, 250yds from the home point, not 100yds away atop a water tower, is this the correct log?
It appears that the drone was flown sideways into the wall or a roof structure of the arena at 30 mph under full left movement of the righthand stick.

Reactions: gulfstream4
It was definitely 2022, and yes the location is correct. The drone went from a hover to 30MPH heading straight for the water tank. The target I was shooting was 180° opposite of the tower. I have NEVER flown a mission intentionally at 30mph and certainly did not do it on purpose for this flight. No need as I was shooting stills not video
smile.gif
Thank you for helping!

It was definitely 2022, and yes the location is correct. The drone went from a hover to 30MPH heading straight for the water tank. The target I was shooting was 180° opposite of the tower. I have NEVER flown a mission intentionally at 30mph and certainly did not do it on purpose for this flight. No need as I was shooting stills not video
smile.gif
Thank you for helping!
I am afraid the log indicates otherwise.
I suppose the controller might have malfunctioned but the drone's movements correspond to the stick inputs shown in the log.
Check the calibration of the controller.

it would appear to me that the drone flew away for some reason other than operator error.
That's not what the data shows.
The data shows the drone hovering towards the end of the flight and at 4:28.6 the right joystick is pushed fully to the left and held there until the data ends at at 4:39.
That caused the drone to fly sideways, going "from a hover to 30MPH heading straight for the water tank".
The data doesn't show any attempt to correct this movement and the drone is left to continue to where it ended up.

There is no crash shown in the flight data.
Signal was lost before final impact.

They May replace it if it is indeed their fault- So I would talk with them and then send it in.
I'm not sure where you got this idea.
That's not how DJI works when a drone is this old.

Thanks everyone. FWIW I'm still flying with a new ship that I purchased the day after this happened. I may send it in anyway, as they have always been excellent about servicing (replacing) previous units that were DOA or suffered a main-board issue. I have not needed them since 2020 (P4P) so we'll see what they say. Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

smile.gif
Thank you for helping!
It's not a water tank, it's a convention center and sports arena, although it does have whales painted on the sides. And the log shows the right right stick in the full left position and the speed as 30.0 mph.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 214208.jpg

Move on. Learning from this is your only choice. I doubt it to be worth the cost to repair it.

Reactions: TonyPHX
We can stop the replies folks :) If you have paid attention - I have moved on etc. - Thanks for your replies and a Mod can close this thread please. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne