DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Iceland

I really don't know what the motivations are, but it would make sense to fly even at this places if:

1. You don't disturb people or fly over them, ask for permission
2. Don't disturb animals
3. Don't exceed the max altitude
4. Fly responsible

Just prohibiting for the sake of it, makes no sense

The reason they are banned at the popular tourist sites is because so many people are not responsible, and you can't go around asking 200 people if they mind if you fly your drone everywhere you stop. If you have 10 drones in the air over a popular tourist lookout, I can understand why that is not wanted. Iceland in particular has a major issue with tourists blatantly ignoring their rules designed to preserve their beautiful landscape and as a result they sometimes close certain areas down for months.

Drones aren't prohibited just for the sake of it at the popular tourist areas - just about any country you travel to I think you will find that you can't fly your drone at major tourist spots, National Parks, and world heritage sites - Iceland is not unusual in that regard, the USA an Canada have the same rules.

There are lots of amazing places you can fly your drone in Iceland completely legally and with nobody else around - see my list above to where you can and cannot fly.

I never been there but is no possibility to fly at sunrise for example when people are sleeping and no one around the spots? Since the major problem is flying over people...

Unfortunately you are not allowed to do that - for the same reason you can't just fly at an airport because no planes are around at the time, or for the same reason it's still illegal to speed if no other cars are around ;) Iceland has rangers as well that actively patrol the tourist spots.

I really don't know what the motivations are, but it would make sense to fly even at this places if:

1. You don't disturb people or fly over them, ask for permission
2. Don't disturb animals
3. Don't exceed the max altitude
4. Fly responsible

Just prohibiting for the sake of it, makes no sense
Yes you are right.

Unfortunately you are not allowed to do that - for the same reason you can't just fly at an airport because no planes are around at the time, or for the same reason it's still illegal to speed if no other cars are around ;) Iceland has rangers as well that actively patrol the tourist spots.
Yes you are right, thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh