DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro ND filters or ND/PL filters

Dutchie_flies

Reactions
Hey guys and gals,

Im not sure if there is an answer on this forum already but the only thread i found didnt have an answer yet. if there is a thread, my apologies.
I had a question about the use of nd filters vs nd/pl filters.
granted, i know what nd filters do, and kinda know what pl filters do. i was looking to get a set of nd filters and im leaning towards freewell. they make an "All day" 8 pack. this is the one im considering buying. the set contains:
ND4, ND8, ND16, CPL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL and ND64/PL filters

I was wondering if its a good idea to go for this set, or if its better to just buy separate ND filters and separate PL filters....

Pros: having a CPL that is not ND is a good thing. I had to buy one separately to round out my PolarPro set. It's nice to be able to control reflections without the need to slow down the shutter speed / frame rates, for some things. People that feel that they always need to shoot cinematic might not get that. On the other hand, if you feel that you will shoot mostly for that cinematic look, you might not use the plain CPL much.

Cons: not a huge con, but I doubt you'll find many cases to use the ND64/PL.

It certainly is a complete set.

Chris

Reactions: RonBower
@Dutchie_flies .... Consider Freewell’s variable ND filters. For about $50 USD they give you the chance to see what filters may do for you without spending hundreds
As far a quality of images my PolarPro filters do seem a little better.

Good suggestion from Thomas B. Although I do like the variety of filters in the pack you're looking at. You could even use that 64ND to slow the shutter way down and get some beautiful shots of waterfalls or rapids, photos or video. I have ND/PL filters but, frankly, I haven't been able to use the PL part much because when I shoot for work, I fly the drone from many different angles toward and around the subject of my shoot and I just don't have the time to land before each angle change and change the rotation of the PL. If I had to do it again, I'd just purchase ND filters, 4, 6, 8, 16 and 32.

Good suggestion from Thomas B. Although I do like the variety of filters in the pack you're looking at. You could even use that 64ND to slow the shutter way down and get some beautiful shots of waterfalls or rapids, photos or video. I have ND/PL filters but, frankly, I haven't been able to use the PL part much because when I shoot for work, I fly the drone from many different angles toward and around the subject of my shoot and I just don't have the time to land before each angle change and change the rotation of the PL. If I had to do it again, I'd just purchase ND filters, 4, 6, 8, 16 and 32.
Thank you for your response! Since you have experience with nd/pl filters, would you say that a ND/PL filter when you cant use the PL, make for a lower quality ND, or does the PL not influence the shot at all when not rotated to "on" so to speak?

Howdy - After obsessing much about which filters to purchase, I chose polar pro. They seem to have the best reviews. And they are pricey, but I think worth it. The idea is to keep your shutter speed at twice your frame rate. I plan to film boats so polarizers are necessary. I got the 4 - set - the 32ND, 64ND, 32ND/PL and 64ND/PL. I tried the 32ND/PL (neutral density + polarizer) over a lake on sunny day and the footage was just delicious. For the polarizer orientation, Polar Pro has a hash mark on the polarizer that you align with the top of the drone. I fly a Mavic 2 Zoom

Thank you for your response! Since you have experience with nd/pl filters, would you say that a ND/PL filter when you cant use the PL, make for a lower quality ND, or does the PL not influence the shot at all when not rotated to "on" so to speak?
No, I have seen no difference in the quality of our video or photos when I've used it. But because it's so difficult to set it since I fly so many different angles, I leave it in what the instructions call the neutral position, which is the small mark set at 12:00.

@Dutchie_flies .... Consider Freewell’s variable ND filters. For about $50 USD they give you the chance to see what filters may do for you without spending hundreds
As far a quality of images my PolarPro filters do seem a little better.
I got the free well variable and it’s great you just put basically one filter on and leave it, you do get two filters but I find myself using just the one lens

Reactions: Thomas B
I got the free well variable and it’s great you just put basically one filter on and leave it, you do get two filters but I find myself using just the one lens
Do the free well seem to do well in all shades of light as well as reflection on the water? It so, that would save $ to just buy the free well filter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S