DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro & Smart Controller Remote ID Issues

ReliantAerialImaging

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I haven't flown my Mavic 2 Pro for quite awhile, including before Remote ID. I have a shoot coming up on July 4 in class C airspace that I've flown before with LAANC, and am running into a number of problems before I even get on site.

The first seems to be that the DJI Go 4 app on my Smart Controller only updates to version 4.3.54 when my understanding is that I need to be at version 4.3.60. Has anyone else run into this? When I go into the Remote Identification options I see that UUID is on, as well as Identification and Flight information. Underneath that I have a field that says my Identification is "Anselmo S" and beneath that is Flight Information with two strings of numbers beneath that.

I also seem unable to submit a Remote ID number on the FAA drone zone website without registering a new drone? I have my registration number adhered to my drone and don't want to buy new stickers because of a registration issue.

I have wi-fi tethering connecting my phone to my Smart Controller for updates and to use in the field for Remote ID, and the package I bought doesn't include the phone controller clip so I can't use that at any part of the process.

If any screenshots or additional information is needed please let me know.

I'm guessing you already updated the AC firmware with the latest update, which should be 01.00.0797 Then you need to download the latest version of GO4 directly from the DJI website and install it. This should be version 4.3.60 and will only be available on the website. I just used the lightening browser built into the smart controller. After downloaded and installed, open GO4 and tap on the 3-dots in the upper right corner to open the settings menus. Scroll to the bottom and open "about" screen. You should now show GO4 version 4.3.60 and AC firmware version 01.00.0797 If you scroll down near the bottom your remote ID SN should be there. It's basically your regular serial number with 1581F added to the front, and a 0 added to the end.
I also had trouble changing my SN in the "drone zone", it left me chage it once, however I inadvertently transversed two numbers, and it wouldn't let me correct it at all. So I deleted the drone completely and added it as a new one.

I'm guessing you already updated the AC firmware with the latest update, which should be 01.00.0797 Then you need to download the latest version of GO4 directly from the DJI website and install it. This should be version 4.3.60 and will only be available on the website. I just used the lightening browser built into the smart controller. After downloaded and installed, open GO4 and tap on the 3-dots in the upper right corner to open the settings menus. Scroll to the bottom and open "about" screen. You should now show GO4 version 4.3.60 and AC firmware version 01.00.0797 If you scroll down near the bottom your remote ID SN should be there. It's basically your regular serial number with 1581F added to the front, and a 0 added to the end.
I also had trouble changing my SN in the "drone zone", it left me chage it once, however I inadvertently transversed two numbers, and it wouldn't let me correct it at all. So I deleted the drone completely and added it as a new one.
Thanks for the detailed response. I downloaded 4.3.60 directly from DJI, and after a restart my Remote ID number was visible in the About section. I was able to edit my active drone in drone zone as well.

Previously I didn't have the ability to tether my smart controller to my phone's wi-fi, but still requested LAANC authorizations. With being connected to my hotspot now, will I need to use DJI unlocking of geofencing besides LAANC authorization? Do I need to request LAANC through my smart controller?

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the detailed response. I downloaded 4.3.60 directly from DJI, and after a restart my Remote ID number was visible in the About section. I was able to edit my active drone in drone zone as well.

Previously I didn't have the ability to tether my smart controller to my phone's wi-fi, but still requested LAANC authorizations. With being connected to my hotspot now, will I need to use DJI unlocking of geofencing besides LAANC authorization? Do I need to request LAANC through my smart controller?

Thanks again for the help!
Sorry, I can't help you with the LAANC thing, I've never used it I simply avoid those areas. Hopefully someone who uses LAANC on the smart controller chimes in with information on that one.

You do not need anything but your phone (and an appropriate app) to get LAANC approval. That’s completely independent of DJI equipment. BUT, you will probably need a DJI unlock for the geofenced airport zone. Because I live in and always fly in Class D airspace, I was able to get a one-year unlock from DJI. I simply explained I was a 107 pilot (and provided proof) and asserted that I would always get LAANC approval to fly in the area, and would respect the grid limits on altitude. DJI was very helpful and very responsive. I formerly had a COA for the area from the FAA, but they won’t grant those anymore now that the airport is covered by LAANC.

My go-to app for LAANC is Air Control (formerly Aloft). Response is nearly instantaneous. The only thing to get used to is changing the square on the map where you are requesting permission. It normally starts out centered over where you are as you request permission, and you need to reposition to where you are actually going to fly. You can’t just move the corners or vertices, you have tp press down on them for a second until you feel a vibration (on an iPhone) and then you can reposition it.

Good luck.

Summary: you need two things to fly. First, to take off in controlled airspace, you’ll need the DJI unlock. Can get that via your home computer, but it must be transferred to the controller (I use a Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom) in a wifi environment. I think if you are simply logged into your account on the controller, it will happen automatically if you’re in a wifi environment. Second, you need LAANC to make the flight legal and safe for manned aircraft. (And of course, also RID but you’ve taken care of that already.)

Edit: Forgot to mention (for completeness) that you need to import the unlock license that’s on the controller onto the aircraft. There’s a menu item for that.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikair3