DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 (Classic) firmware update: D-Log profile(s)

Avocet

Reactions
I installed an update to the M3 Classic this weekend past. The update provided D-Log M as a new color profile. Can anyone speak to the difference between the D-Log and now D-Log M profiles?

Thanks ya know ...

I installed an update to the M3 Classic this weekend past. The update provided D-Log M as a new color profile. Can anyone speak to the difference between the D-Log and now D-Log M profiles?

Thanks ya know ...
I haven’t tried it yet but supposedly D-log M isn’t quite as flat and the colorspace is tuned for more natural color reproduction without as much fine tuning.

DJI introduced that DLog-M in the Mavic 3 firmware to simplify exposing, Camera matching and grading with the Mavic 3 Pro, for faster turnaround of footage or unexperienced colourists, who doesn't want to match different Log Profiles for different focal length in post. It's a good profile for cameras up to 10 to 11 stops of dynamic range, like the Mavic 2 Pro, where it was originally developed for, or like the 1/1.3" Sensor of that 70mm camera of the Mavic 3 Pro.

However, with the 4/3" sensor you'll lose between 2 to 3 stops of highlight latitude compared to DLog, which is a lot. That's because 4/3 Sensor of the Mavic 3 (Classic) offers more Dynamic Range than DLog-M can cover.

And especially with wide-angle lenses you often have to deal with more contrast than with tele lenses, more precisely you have much more likely very light and very dark areas at the same time in the frame, so a profile which limits the dynamic range of the sensor is not very helpful there. In this respect, it makes little sense to use DLog-M instead of DLog with the 24mm eq. lens, if you want to get the most out of this camera.

Last edited:

Thanks ya know ...
Can you confirm that the gimbal now locks upon powering down, like the Mavic 3, after the update?

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Can you confirm that the gimbal now locks upon powering down, like the Mavic 3, after the update?
I will check that our first chance I get and get back to ya.
As of now, can't confirm nor deny and I'll bet someone beats me to the punch!

Thank GG

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
DJI introduced that DLog-M in the Mavic 3 firmware to simplify exposing, Camera matching and grading with the Mavic 3 Pro, for faster turnaround of footage or unexperienced colourists, who doesn't want to match different Log Profiles for different focal length in post. It's a good profile for cameras up to 10 to 11 stops of dynamic range, like the Mavic 2 Pro, where it was originally developed for, or like the 1/1.3" Sensor of that 70mm camera of the Mavic 3 Pro.

However, with the 4/3" sensor you'll lose between 2 to 3 stops of highlight latitude compared to DLog, which is a lot. That's because 4/3 Sensor of the Mavic 3 (Classic) offers more Dynamic Range than DLog-M can cover.

And especially with wide-angle lenses you often have to deal with more contrast than with tele lenses, more precisely you have much more likely very light and very dark areas at the same time in the frame, so a profile which limits the dynamic range of the sensor is not very helpful there. In this respect, it makes little sense to use DLog-M instead of DLog with the 24mm eq. lens, if you want to get the most out of this camera.
Thanks for the thorough response, Sky. Helps me out it does.

Reactions: Skyscope
As other have mentioned, no locking gimbal on power down for the latest firmware upgrade for Mavic 3 Classic. I too saved the foam horseshoe and use it calm the gimbal down during transport.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada