DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Controller Issue after latest update

baddog

Reactions
Site
www.drone-scapes.com
I am a drone instructor in Central & Western NY. I received a phone call today from some high school teachers that I instructed on part 107 test prep and a 3 day hands on training class as well. They just updated their Mavic3 Firmware to 01.00.0900, and the RC firmware to 04.13.0700 with the fly app version 1.8.0.
They were attempting to fly with their tablet, they had no WiFi or Data with the tablet and received this error.
"Remote ID error. Unable to take off. Connect to network to obtain mobile device location. Flying without broadcasting required remote ID message may violate local regulations (code: 161000b4)"
As soon as they switched to their phones, they were allowed to take off, if they put their phones in Airplane mode, it again refused to take off.
Why is this happening now? Is this a know issue?
Also connecting the iPad tablet to Wifi hotspot did not resolve the issue.

I have seen that same error message before except with a Mavic Air 2 with an iPad and had the same error after connecting the iPad to my iPhone as a hotspot. This was using much earlier versions of the DJI software last spring. I was in a very rural area with no possible WiFi beyond my iPhone.

Seems curious to me that I don't get messages like this while using my RC Pro with no internet connection. I only occasionally bother linking to the internet with my iPhone from the RC Pro and never get a complaint from the controller. Seems quite inconsistent to be honest.

I have seem this error, the drone and the controller needs to connect to the internet, to update the flight database, to make you that the drone has permission to take off. I think it connects all the way back to DJI servers, to update. I am not really sure why this happens, sometimes. I have seem it on my Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro 2, not on my Mavic 3 Cine, yet.

all I do is connect my controller to the internet while the drone is on, prior to flight, to update, and if I am in the field, I use my phone as a hot spot for the internet. once the error clears up, you can either turn the hot spot, or disconnect from the internet, and continue to fly your drone. you will not not to do it again in between batteries swap. I am not sure why this happens, but I can give a pretty good guess. but it will have to be verified by DJI. or maybe some other pilots.

I am a drone instructor in Central & Western NY. I received a phone call today from some high school teachers that I instructed on part 107 test prep and a 3 day hands on training class as well. They just updated their Mavic3 Firmware to 01.00.0900, and the RC firmware to 04.13.0700 with the fly app version 1.8.0.
They were attempting to fly with their tablet, they had no WiFi or Data with the tablet and received this error.
"Remote ID error. Unable to take off. Connect to network to obtain mobile device location. Flying without broadcasting required remote ID message may violate local regulations (code: 161000b4)"
As soon as they switched to their phones, they were allowed to take off, if they put their phones in Airplane mode, it again refused to take off.
Why is this happening now? Is this a know issue?
Also connecting the iPad tablet to Wifi hotspot did not resolve the issue.
Well, I got the confirmation that I was looking for. Remote ID is fully functional on the Mavic 3 after updating firmware to 01.00.0900. Tracks GPS Pos. AGL, MSL, Direction of flight, speed, Position of the controller, distance between controller and drone...
So this by definition if a full remote ID system not the Remote ID Module. The module version only records the take off location but does not track the controller, as I understand it.

Here is a link to a video from MileHighDroneServices.com showing the remote ID in action

I have seem this error, the drone and the controller needs to connect to the internet, to update the flight database, to make you that the drone has permission to take off. I think it connects all the way back to DJI servers, to update. I am not really sure why this happens, sometimes. I have seem it on my Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro 2, not on my Mavic 3 Cine, yet.

all I do is connect my controller to the internet while the drone is on, prior to flight, to update, and if I am in the field, I use my phone as a hot spot for the internet. once the error clears up, you can either turn the hot spot, or disconnect from the internet, and continue to fly your drone. you will not not to do it again in between batteries swap. I am not sure why this happens, but I can give a pretty good guess. but it will have to be verified by DJI. or maybe some other pilots.

I always assumed that this was true after not being able to connect when using my iPad but the behavior of the RC Pro controller has left me wondering about that. I only occasionally bother to use my iPhone to set up an internet link for the RC Pro and it has never complained about launching no matter how long it's been since I last connected it to a network or how far out of cellular range I am. The configuration I have on my iPhone requires me to go on the iPhone and set it to be discoverable each time I want to connect the RC Pro and I have checked the iPhone occasionally while flying and it's not offering or allowing a link unless I do.

Does DJI allow the RC Pro to launch without an internet link while it seems to need one for the RC-N1 controller?

I always assumed that this was true after not being able to connect when using my iPad but the behavior of the RC Pro controller has left me wondering about that. I only occasionally bother to use my iPhone to set up an internet link for the RC Pro and it has never complained about launching no matter how long it's been since I last connected it to a network or how far out of cellular range I am. The configuration I have on my iPhone requires me to go on the iPhone and set it to be discoverable each time I want to connect the RC Pro and I have checked the iPhone occasionally while flying and it's not offering or allowing a link unless I do.

Does DJI allow the RC Pro to launch without an internet link while it seems to need one for the RC-N1 controller?
Have updated to the recent firmware version 01.00.0900? You need that version to turn on the Remote ID features. Just keep in mind when you do, you cannot roll it back

Have updated to the recent firmware version 01.00.0900? You need that version to turn on the Remote ID features. Just keep in mind when you do, you cannot roll it back

I upgraded to v01.00.0900 last week and am well aware of activated RID. It shows up in my Airdata flight notifications. My Mavic 3 is pt. 107 registered with the FAA and RID broadcast doesn't really bother me at all.

Reactions: Howard70
I received the same error message immediately after update on my Mavic three NRC pro. The error disappeared when I refreshed the screen. I have not seen it since weather connected to the Internet or not.

Well, I got the confirmation that I was looking for. Remote ID is fully functional on the Mavic 3 after updating firmware to 01.00.0900. Tracks GPS Pos. AGL, MSL, Direction of flight, speed, Position of the controller, distance between controller and drone...
So this by definition if a full remote ID system not the Remote ID Module. The module version only records the take off location but does not track the controller, as I understand it.

Here is a link to a video from MileHighDroneServices.com showing the remote ID in action
You are correct, Greg from Pilot institute said the same thing. This is straight from the FAA website:
  • Operate a drone with a remote ID broadcast module (PDF). A broadcast module is a device that broadcasts identification and location information about the drone and its take-off location in accordance with the remote ID rule's requirements. The broadcast module can be added to a drone to retrofit it with remote ID capability. Persons operating a drone with a remote ID broadcast module must be able to see their drone at all times during flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the same remote ID error (Code: 161000B4) and I was unable to take off.
The cause was that I had disabled location services on my android tablet. You need both an internet connection (WiFi or Cellular) and location services enabled for remote ID to function and then allow you to take off. Not sure if a firmware update introduced this criteria but all is good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme