DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 different flight (turning) characteristics ?

alset2

Reactions
Hello all, Got my Mavic 3 yesterday and had time to fly it a few times and have a question for anyone else who has flown one.

I notice in Normal mode when I go to turn, the drone slows way down... Almost like it slightly brakes before initiating any yaw changes . I have not noticed this behavior in any of my other Dji drones (Mavic pro, Mavic 2 pro, Phantom 4 pro V2.0)
Basically it makes it where I can not make any high speed turns in Normal mode.

Just wondering if its my imagination or maybe something is wrong with my bird...or maybe its and "improvement" lol ??

Not sure if this is related, but the first 2 batteries, I had problems with the drone sensing phantom obstacles (I guess) so it would not even get to speed in Normal mode. It would fly 5-10 ft and then brake, fly 10 feet and brake...continually until I put it into sport mode . After the 2nd flight it stopped doing that so hopefully it was just a fluke.

Any insight into ant of this would be very welcome.

Thanks
Neil

Try a screen recorder on your phone, it makes checking what messages etc. flashed up during the flight easier although they are obviously belated.

If you are referring to the braking, there were no warnings on the screen, it was only observable by looking at the AC .
I hope I am articulating it alright, but thats the best way I can think of how to describe it .
So watching the screen I noticed the AC woul only get up to between 15mph and 20mph in Normal mode, when I looked up at ti , it was doing the "Stop and go" I tried to described

I have had the same issue. Getting a call back fro DJI customer support tomorrow. The drone goes then slows. Goes then slows. I use the drone for surfing footage and the limited speed makes the drone worthless. Also it does not have as much customization as the m2p. I need to be able to adjust attitude, braking sensitivity, and yaw movement sensitivity. Hoping this whole thing wasn’t a bust and need to return the whole thing…

Well , it seems like all of it should be a firmware fix ...at least I hope .
please keep me posted on what they say about it and thanks for responding

Ya. I honestly think I’m gonna return it. And then purchase in January when they update stuff. The BIG issue for me as well is not being able to quickly adjust the aperture with a scroll wheel. Filming surf means half the shots are toward the sun and half away. So needing to touch the iPad with my finger to adjust is a non-starter. The remote is a big step backwards with less buttons.

agree 100% on the remote..not sure what they were thinking . Im not even a remotely serious photographer , but I miss the scroll whell just for being able to "See"

Anyway, this seems to be a pretty good drone that they invested some time in ,so hopefully they will right the ship

Hello all, Got my Mavic 3 yesterday and had time to fly it a few times and have a question for anyone else who has flown one.

I notice in Normal mode when I go to turn, the drone slows way down... Almost like it slightly brakes before initiating any yaw changes . I have not noticed this behavior in any of my other Dji drones (Mavic pro, Mavic 2 pro, Phantom 4 pro V2.0)
Basically it makes it where I can not make any high speed turns in Normal mode.

Just wondering if its my imagination or maybe something is wrong with my bird...or maybe its and "improvement" lol ??

Not sure if this is related, but the first 2 batteries, I had problems with the drone sensing phantom obstacles (I guess) so it would not even get to speed in Normal mode. It would fly 5-10 ft and then brake, fly 10 feet and brake...continually until I put it into sport mode . After the 2nd flight it stopped doing that so hopefully it was just a fluke.

Any insight into ant of this would be very welcome.

Thanks
Neil
I've noticed the same, but on my mavic air 2.

Compared to older drones, it banks when turning in order to keep turning radii tight.

Older drones used to slide instead, allowing for fancier flying.

Ya. I honestly think I’m gonna return it. And then purchase in January when they update stuff. The BIG issue for me as well is not being able to quickly adjust the aperture with a scroll wheel. Filming surf means half the shots are toward the sun and half away. So needing to touch the iPad with my finger to adjust is a non-starter. The remote is a big step backwards with less buttons.
I am returning mine also, and YES... mine also slows in turns during normal mode so I am forced to use sports mode to avoid a collision and possible killing someone as I do precision flying around boats.

Is this not just some form of bug? I mean how can we all have learnt to fly drones in a certain way and then the flight characteristics are changed so drastically. It has to be some form of unintended behaviour?

Reactions: freedisk
Is this not just some form of bug? I mean how can we all have learnt to fly drones in a certain way and then the flight characteristics are changed so drastically. It has to be some form of unintended behaviour?
I agree that the braking on turning is a bug. but I don't want to wait over 2 months for them to fix the bug with the big firmware update. who knows if that is fixed in the first update too...

Reactions: freedisk
I noticed the same behavior with my mavic 3. When I asked about it in the dji live chat (support), the service employee said that this braking behavior is due to the APAS system.

I also hope, they will change that, because for me, there are less free flown videography maneuvers possible.

I noticed the same behavior with my mavic 3. When I asked about it in the dji live chat (support), the service employee said that this braking behavior is due to the APAS system.

I also hope, they will change that, because for me, there are less free flown videography maneuvers possible.
I found this thread on the official DJI forum… seems there’s a „bypass mode“ for APAS for sideways motion: Where Did APAS Go?

Maybe there’s something like this coming for the Mavic 3 also, giving us more freedom for full throttle flights while turning (yaw axis)… and for „drifting“ sideways?

At least I haven’t found this particular button the show on the thread on my DJI Fly UI… maybe this only appears in the air? (Can’t test that right now in the middle of the night ;-))

Last edited:
Today is my second try with the M3 flight test. At around 400 meters away I've experienced screen glitches, red bars, lags and freezes ..during a long period on the smart controller. I've got the so expansive Cine Version. These made me anxious and very nervous. Unable to be confident with this drone as I am with my old good M2P.. I was flying in a field on a coastal spot. No buildings, no waves, no perturbations, flat surface.

Talking about flying attitude, it's terrible and so weird. I'm used to flying my M2P without trouble, also with FPV Kwad...But this one is acting weird... It's breaking when you're trying to make a smooth turn, and so on...I've try using different stick combination to make smooth turn ... and it's not even smooth ... For now, I'm very disappointed about this drone. I don't know what to think and what to do with it... Just won't fly it until a firmware update come and resolve some of these problematics behaviors

Really not satisfied for now.
****** product
Unfinished product

Today is my second try with the M3 flight test. At around 400 meters away I've experienced screen glitches, red bars, lags and freezes ..during a long period on the smart controller. I've got the so expansive Cine Version. These made me anxious and very nervous. Unable to be confident with this drone as I am with my old good M2P.. I was flying in a field on a coastal spot. No buildings, no waves, no perturbations, flat surface.

Talking about flying attitude, it's terrible and so weird. I'm used to flying my M2P without trouble, also with FPV Kwad...But this one is acting weird... It's breaking when you're trying to make a smooth turn, and so on...I've try using different stick combination to make smooth turn ... and it's not even smooth ... For now, I'm very disappointed about this drone. I don't know what to think and what to do with it... Just won't fly it until a firmware update come and resolve some of these problematics behaviors

Really not satisfied for now.
****** product
Unfinished product
completely agree with everything here. already sent mine back and will purchase again in January if the bugs are fixed.

I haven't even cracked the seal on the box yet. After reading of so many issues, I have very little confidence in this drone. Not certain what I'm going to do yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada