DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Enterprise On-board processing for Waypoints & Map missions

Dougcjohn

Reactions
In discussions with Ugcs on their new mapping updates that included the Mavic 3 Ent series.
Was verified that the Mavic 3 Enterprise does have "on-board" processing and does not utilize "virtual sticks" for Waypoint & Mapping. The Mavic 3 ENT will continue mission if RC connection is lost, similar to Mavic 2 Pro, & Matrice platform.
The UgCS team have tested and verified the above with their software.

That's great to get verified, the On-Board storage & processing alone adds value to the Enterprise series; plus adding the Mechanical Shutter to the other strong Mavic 3 features and stability it's now a great platform for Mapping, Modeling and various waypoint missions.
I'm looking forward to 3rd Party Apps adding the Enterprise to their supported platforms.

Indirectly, I hope this encourages/motivates DJI to provide the SDK to the Mavic 3 series to at least fly missioning virtual stick.

Last edited:
So they re-enabled the software they crippled they introduced post Mavic 2 then.

Its very cynical the capabilities of their drones are now being deliberately limited by software code not hardware. Same as SDK.

Virtual sticks are "ok" but can drift slightly over a long pattern. Not that anything Mini or Mavic 3 non enterprise supports that without SDK either.

In discussions with Ugcs on their new mapping updates that included the Mavic 3 Ent series.
Was verified that the Mavic 3 Enterprise does have "on-board" processing and does not utilize "virtual sticks" for Waypoint & Mapping. The Mavic 3 ENT will continue mission if RC connection is lost, similar to Mavic 2 Pro, & Matrice platform.
The UgCS team have tested and verified the above with their software.

That's great to get verified, the On-Board storage & processing alone adds value to the Enterprise series; plus adding the Mechanical Shutter to the other strong Mavic 3 features and stability it's now a great platform for Mapping, Modeling and various waypoint missions.
I'm looking forward to 3rd Party Apps adding the Enterprise to their supported platforms.

Indirectly, I hope this encourages/motivates DJI to provide the SDK to the Mavic 3 series to at least fly missioning virtual stick.

Thanks for sharing that info.
Regards

From the introduction of the Mavic 3, I was hopeful there was the ability to perform on-board processing and mechanical shutter.... that wasn't a reality. Then with the delay or possible no SDK for Mavic 3, prevented waypoint or various automated missions beyond DJI's included option: pano, etc.

I purchased for the camera... truly is a nice camera. That decision was also partly based & self-justified that delivery of SDK would eventually appear, adding to the functionality Craft would provide. I think this the 1st DJI Craft that hasn't received the SDK... I own many, and it's the first in my Inventory that lacks 3rd party Vendor support.

With the release of the Mavic 3 Enterprise crafts providing the SDK out of the gate, on-board process & storage of missions and a large sensor mechanical shutter with optional RTK... I don't see a market or profitable path for DJI to provide the SDK to the standard Mavic 3 models... they have a profitable market plate. They'll sell Enterprise units to many Owners of Mavic 3 that wouldn't consider a M3Ent if SDK was released.

So they re-enabled the software they crippled they introduced post Mavic 2 then.

Its very cynical the capabilities of their drones are now being deliberately limited by software code not hardware. Same as SDK.

Virtual sticks are "ok" but can drift slightly over a long pattern. Not that anything Mini or Mavic 3 non enterprise supports that without SDK either.
It was probably a market decision from initial release... it would have impacted their sales, but if they had indicated a M3Ent series with these features... I likely would not have purchased the Mavic 3 Cine... at least purchased with the understandings of the limitations within the Craft.

Now... question, a M3Ent at a relatively nice price, reconsider the M30 or hold and wait to see the specs, price and performance of the new Inspire 3. All different categories with similar cross functionalities. The Inspire 3 should definitely have waypoints, missions, and new features... not to mention likely full frame camera payloads.

It was probably a market decision from initial release... it would have impacted their sales, but if they had indicated a M3Ent series with these features... I likely would not have purchased the Mavic 3 Cine... at least purchased with the understandings of the limitations within the Craft.

Now... question, a M3Ent at a relatively nice price, reconsider the M30 or hold and wait to see the specs, price and performance of the new Inspire 3. All different categories with similar cross functionalities. The Inspire 3 should definitely have waypoints, missions, and new features... not to mention likely full frame camera payloads.
@Dougcjohn - As usual, the answer starts with what is your use case. Unlike the usual answers though, the problem is that now use cases are more firmly divided by model. It seems like the days of a general purpose drone strong in multiple areas have disappeared. That having been said, I do have my eye on an Inspire 3. : )

@Dougcjohn - As usual, the answer starts with what is your use case. Unlike the usual answers though, the problem is that now use cases are more firmly divided by model. It seems like the days of a general purpose drone strong in multiple areas have disappeared. That having been said, I do have my eye on an Inspire 3. : )
I'd agree, a platform's role appears to have been divided up to multiple crafts within the same series. The M2P was the DJI's last of the full crafts, capable of all tasks... less the mechanical shutter.

The I2 has been an outstanding craft, its weaknesses have been shown in newer lower cost crafts features.
I am also awaiting the I3, to gain an understanding of its scope, limitations and costs to operate.

Wish you well on your journey then with that. We should compare notes of course once they start shipping. I'm looking forward to other forum members suggestions on the feature by model analysis.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag