DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Enterprise or Enterprise thermal?

colet09

Reactions
I am looking at getting a Mavic 3 Enterprise drone after having issues with my Autel Dual V3 RTK at 14 days of ownership. My question is for starting out in the drone business would it be better to get the standard enterprise or the thermal version. I read on some other post about doing competition analysis but am looking for some advice from the community at large. Are you all seeing more mapping and photogrammetry missions or more thermal inspections? Which would be a better fist investment?

Thank you in advance for your advice and sorry if this was covered elsewhere.

Just something to think about, if you get into thermal, it may require a thermographer certification for it to be of real use.

Just something to think about, if you get into thermal, it may require a thermographer certification for it to be of real use.
Yeah I’ve seen that, where flir offers a $2200 certificate level 1. I think the Mavic 3E is a more versatile package and will produce more jobs or job opportunities than the thermal. I think the cool factor is kicking in on the thermal

For certain things (search and rescue, surveillance, etc.) I don't think you would need a certificate, but for the real money making (solar panel or utility inspection, or even gas plant inspection etc.) I would think certification would be a requirement or at least a giant competitive advantage.

For certain things (search and rescue, surveillance, etc.) I don't think you would need a certificate, but for the real money making (solar panel or utility inspection, or even gas plant inspection etc.) I would think certification would be a requirement or at least a giant competitive advantage.
I agree with you and think I should start with the 3E first, build my customer base then transition into thermal if the work calls for it. Thank you for your help in me thinking this through a bit more.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I am looking at getting a Mavic 3 Enterprise drone after having issues with my Autel Dual V3 RTK at 14 days of ownership. My question is for starting out in the drone business would it be better to get the standard enterprise or the thermal version. I read on some other post about doing competition analysis but am looking for some advice from the community at large. Are you all seeing more mapping and photogrammetry missions or more thermal inspections? Which would be a better fist investment?

Thank you in advance for your advice and sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
I think the biggest question before you make any large purchases like that is who is your target audience and what type of work is available in your area.

I think the biggest question before you make any large purchases like that is who is your target audience and what type of work is available in your area.
I agree with you and as of last night it seems everyone in my area is doing mapping and photogrammetry. Which pushes me back towards the thermal. I was looking at doing inspection type service. For example there is a 1045 acre solar farm near me that I have reached out and their interested. There area I live has many small foothills with power lines and hard to reach areas that would need to be inspected not to mention the loads of commercial buildings. This is why I went thermal in the first place and feel I have talked myself back into it.

If you don't require the thermal part it seems the mavic 3E has a mechanical shutter and the 3T does not. Depending on what you plan to use the drone for, a mechanical shutter may be more desirable but not absolutely necessary (ie for mapping etc)

@colet09 I'm also in the Huntsville area and see you have similar interests in mapping and Thermal. My experience is you have to build relationships to get clients, slow start to get things going if you have a day job too. Becomes kind of a chicken or the egg sort of dilemma until something breaks through.

Reactions: ChumTrifecta
@colet09 I'm also in the Huntsville area and see you have similar interests in mapping and Thermal. My experience is you have to build relationships to get clients, slow start to get things going if you have a day job too. Becomes kind of a chicken or the egg sort of dilemma until something breaks through.
Thank you for the reply.

I had clients lined up for thermal inspections when I purchased the Autel V3 Dual RTK but the Smart remote failed at 14 days and I've since sent it back to Autel and then back to Drone Nerds for store credit towards a DJI system. I'm still without a drone and have lost those clients. I figure at this point with the majority of others doing standard photos and mapping in our area thermal was a separating factor. As you said though having a full time day job does put a kink in the works when it comes to drone stuff. Heck if it all fails I can use the thermal for wild game hunting scouting.

That's a bummer about the Autel remote. Shoot me a DM if you want to meet up some time over lunch or something.

The biggest difference between the 3E and 3T when it comes to mapping is the mechanical shutter allows you to take great pictures while flying very fast. You can complete the same mission with the 3T it will just take longer because you want to get the same quality of pictures. If you are on the fence go for the 3T.
I don’t want to be a hypocrite but I bought both. I justified it as one can back up the other.😂
Remember do what others are not willing or able to do if you want to succeed. Thermal is the way to go less competition and better price scale. If you have time get your Thermal certification to further separate you from the heard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803