DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 for cell tower inspections

R.Cowan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Good evening fellow Mavic 3 owners. I have been given an opportunity to start doing cell tower inspections. Looking for any feedback if the Mavic 3 is up to the task...digital and optical zoom? What does the average inspection require as for close up. Will the 7x optical with 12mp be acceptable? Thanks everyone!

For manual inspection the Mavic 3 is excellent. Now, for automatic missions does not work since the SDK has not been released yet. I use the Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2S for those cases using Dronelink.

Good evening fellow Mavic 3 owners. I have been given an opportunity to start doing cell tower inspections. Looking for any feedback if the Mavic 3 is up to the task...digital and optical zoom? What does the average inspection require as for close up. Will the 7x optical with 12mp be acceptable? Thanks everyone!
That question should go to the entity hiring you. Some (many actually) will require a drone with a Mechanical Shutter for certain aspects but in terms of sensor quality the M3 is very capable.

Reactions: bcfd29 and R.Cowan
That question should go to the entity hiring you. Some (many actually) will require a drone with a Mechanical Shutter for certain aspects but in terms of sensor quality the M3 is very capable.
Thank you BigAI07 for your input.

For manual inspection the Mavic 3 is excellent. Now, for automatic missions does not work since the SDK has not been released yet. I use the Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2S for those cases using Dronelink.
Thanks zeusfl for that information. Sure hoping SDK is released sooner than later. Currently have a MA2 for a back up. Maybe should start looking for Mavic 2 Pro for those automatic missions. Thanks again!

Good morning. I too am doing something sim to what your doing , although not cellular I’m doing this for the county I work for and we use the VHF spectrum. (150-160 MHz)
Yes way different than yours but what I’m developing is a way to measure the signal strength ( RSSI) radiating from a specific antenna on a tower and map the radiating architecture of that specific antenna. This gives me a true Representation of the antennas performance related to its proximity to the tower
Yes we have software that does this for us. But the softwares feedback is relative to what we input. Being able to fly a circular pattern. At a known distance. At a known height etc. will give me direct access to exactly how the system / antenna is performing. Agree.
Then I will be able to extrapolate from there the possible coverage area.
Good luck with your drone flying.
Cheers

HI All , I also have bought the New Mavic pro3 and having issues with it, I cant use the intelligent flight modes like the older mavic pro2 - is it possible to use POI and select auto photo every 2 seconds with the Mavic 3 ??? It seems strange that they would take away functions on the new model - anyone having this issue and could you explain the SDK lack of autonomous flight missions. It IS VERY frustrating any news on update firmwares

HI All , I also have bought the New Mavic pro3 and having issues with it, I cant use the intelligent flight modes like the older mavic pro2 - is it possible to use POI and select auto photo every 2 seconds with the Mavic 3 ??? It seems strange that they would take away functions on the new model - anyone having this issue and could you explain the SDK lack of autonomous flight missions. It IS VERY frustrating any news on update firmwares
Yes it is frustrated and I have the same problem. They only allow you to record video while obit and no taking pictures. I had to use my Mavic Air 2S or my Mavic 2 Pro to do that. I use Dronelink with the Air2S to archive that.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

I would look to see if the raw files stored on the SD Card when you do a Hyperlapse mission meet your needs. Seems like that would be close to what you want?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121