DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Lost Control Near Boat

This is what we screw with, you think you have good data from the GPS, but the signal from the sats is very weak, you can easily override it with a slightly stronger signal but with false timing signals. This is exactly how the Iranians diverted one of the USAF's very advanced stealth UAV's. On regular aircraft you have RAIM data to check against GPS timing reliability. We are supposed to check it before we do approaches in poor conditions. The poor little drones don't have any way to check that.

Short version, just having 20 sats with level 5 reception does not mean that the timing signals it is working with are totally valid. Like I mentioned before, the military is playing with this stuff, actively. My bud here in Flagstaff was the head of the Naval Observatory, which is located here. It is the injection source for timing corrections to the US GPS satellite constellation. Learned quite a bit from him, more than I got from my regular exposure to the tech. He sadly passed last year, quite suddenly.

Iran captures UAV
The kind of thing you are describing here isn't going to only come into effect eithin a couple of metres of the yacht, but have no effect outside that.
Whatever the explanation is, it's going to be a lot less exciting than that.

Reactions: RodPad
They affect a select region. We get some of the effects here in N AZ from the area east of Las Vegas. Last year they had exercises going on for months. So we would lose nav reliability for hours here or just minutes. We were constantly reverting to what we refer to green line navigation, the older VOR navigation. Your system automatically swaps out when it gets poor or confusing signals. GPS nav is depicted by magenta lines.

Typically they NOTAM when they play with it and what the affected area is, but last year they were not playing by the rules. Again, Canada has a practice area offshore in BC where they play as well. Boeing has been actively demonstrating the EF-18 to Canada, they want them to purchase them to compliment the F-18's they already have.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne