DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Mini Pro & trees

alfo2010

Reactions
I’ve had DJI Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC for about three weeks now and had at least eight to ten flights, this is my quick observations following hours of flight time. Even with the latest software update the signal strength continues to be problematic meaning it has a short range even though it’s advertised that it can fly eight miles or 13KM, no wind, these number are pure fiction and clearly false advertising. When using the RC controller, the signal loss and frozen video feeds are worse than with the RC Pro controller. I have had no frozen video feed with the RC Pro controller. If you are flying near trees, you will most likely lose your signal or suffer a partial loss of signal. If your flying near trees flies over them not beside them. If you get trees blocking the signal between the drone and the controller you are going to suffer a reduced or total loss of the signal. Yesterday I went flying with the M3P over the ocean from one small island to another between a 100ft. and 250ft. and had no issues other than I lost the signal at a range of 1km (.65 mi) using the RC Pro controller. The M3P is a nice small drone, nice to fly, good video and photo captures and nice to travel with given its size. The drone is crippled by signal loss. I live on Vancouver Island, and it is covered by trees so the M3P is restricted in where it can fly. I would not have purchased the M3M had I known the about these issues. I have the Air 2S and it is a far better drone for the money than the M3M. I also own a Mavic 3 and I have had no issues with it. There is a good YouTube video about the range issue presented by “Ian In London”

Reactions: JimSteadman and PHZ
Is Canada on CE mode like UK - shouldn't be surely.
It isn't the one to get for maximum range but for most users the plus points outweigh that and can be worked around.

it has a short range even though it’s advertised that it can fly eight miles or 13KM, no wind, these number are pure fiction and clearly false advertising.
DJI specs are tested and accurate.
Local interference will have a big effect on the range you get where you fly.

Have you read the specs to see what DJI actually say?
Signal Transmission Ranges - (FCC)
Strong Interference (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
Medium Interference (suburban landscape): Approx. 3-7 km
Low Interference (suburb/seaside): Approx. 7-12 km

Data is tested under FCC standards in unobstructed environments of typical interference.
Only to serve as a reference and provides no guarantee as to the actual flight distance.
Max one-way communication distance of DJI Mini 3 Pro in countries/regions of different standards:
FCC: United States, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Chile, Colombia, Puerto Rico, and other regions. Max transmission range: 12 km
SRRC: Mainland China. Max transmission range: 8 km
CE: UK, Russia, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Macau, New Zealand, UAE, and other regions. Max transmission range: 8 km
MIC: Japan. Max transmission distance: 8 km

If you are flying near trees, you will most likely lose your signal or suffer a partial loss of signal.
Flying near trees shouldn't have any effect.
Having trees between the drone and controller will - that's physics at work.

No 2.4/5GHz signal is going to punch through trees. Especially leaves full of moisture.

I can get my Mavic 2 Pro to disconnect within 120m of the start by putting it behind some hefty foliage.
Mavic 1 the same.

Drones absolutely need clear signal path line of site through air for reliable links.

Reactions: Dronecation
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143