DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro/Cine photo delay/speed

NickCollura

Reactions
I've read through most of the internet and no one seems to comment on this, admittedly, specific issue. Let me explain.

I have a mavic 2 pro and i shoot stills with it, quite often of moving things. When i take a raw picture, i get the "saving to card" circle spinning, and the image feed freezes for a second, and i cant take more images until it stops. If i take a bracket of 5, the spinning is obviously longer, about very hindering in my ability to capture what i need to.

So when i saw Nigel Danson's video (at about 3:40) on Youtube where there's literally no stuttering and no waiting between captures, it got me wondering, Is this purely a function of the Cine version he's using with a fast card write speed, OR will the regular Mavic 3 Pro have the same super fast/no delay between image capture? Can someone with a regular Mavic 3 Pro watch the video linked above and comment on weather its similar to your experience? I'm considering the cine version mostly to eliminate that delay, but understand there are other benefits as well.

Thank you!

I've read through most of the internet and no one seems to comment on this, admittedly, specific issue. Let me explain.

I have a mavic 2 pro and i shoot stills with it, quite often of moving things. When i take a raw picture, i get the "saving to card" circle spinning, and the image feed freezes for a second, and i cant take more images until it stops. If i take a bracket of 5, the spinning is obviously longer, about very hindering in my ability to capture what i need to.

So when i saw Nigel Danson's video (at about 3:40) on Youtube where there's literally no stuttering and no waiting between captures, it got me wondering, Is this purely a function of the Cine version he's using with a fast card write speed, OR will the regular Mavic 3 Pro have the same super fast/no delay between image capture? Can someone with a regular Mavic 3 Pro watch the video linked above and comment on weather its similar to your experience? I'm considering the cine version mostly to eliminate that delay, but understand there are other benefits as well.

Thank you!
First of all, you're comparing Apples to Oranges. The Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 3 with the smart controller are newer technology.

Secondly, I would suggest you use a 'fast" sd card. It takes time to save the photos so you need a fast sd card to improve the amount of time it takes to save.

Thank you!
If he is using the Cine version, that would completely explain the fast write speed without delay. Do you have independent confirmation that he is, in fact, using the Cine version? He makes no mention of it in the video, nor in the link to his drone, and I couldn't find Cine visible in any of the clips depicting the drone on its arms.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
If he is using the Cine version, that would completely explain the fast write speed without delay. Do you have independent confirmation that he is, in fact, using the Cine version? He makes no mention of it in the video, nor in the link to his drone, and I couldn't find Cine visible in any of the clips depicting the drone on its arms.
Here is a picture taken from the linked video 'NickCollura' posted.

He's using the Mavic 3 Pro Cine version.

Attachments

• Mavic3ProCine.png
    Mavic3ProCine.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: GadgetGuy

Thank you!
What SD card are you using?

What SD card are you using?
As explained before. The Cine write speed to its internal HD is blisteringly fast. No matter how fast SD card the write speed is going to be longer. On my Mavic 3 I have fast card and it takes about 1/2sec to write one DNG file. Burst of 7 takes about 1 1/2 sec to write.

Here is a picture taken from the linked video 'NickCollura' posted.

He's using the Mavic 3 Pro Cine version.
Well, that certainly explains the observed terrific write performance then! The non-Cine version certainly takes at a half second between each single DNG, which is why shooting AEB jpegs is preferable on any moving subject.

While most buy the Cine version for video and ProRes, this vastly improved DNG write performance would certainly also be a compelling reason to buy it just for still photography!

I did a rudimentary write speed comparison of the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Cine, I guess this could also apply to the M3 Pro / Pro Cine.

Well, that certainly explains the observed terrific write performance then! The non-Cine version certainly takes at a half second between each single DNG, which is why shooting AEB jpegs is preferable on any moving subject.

While most buy the Cine version for video and ProRes, this vastly improved DNG write performance would be a compelling reason to buy for still photography!
Cine as you know is significantly more expensive. You pay for the internal very fast 1TB drive and ProRes perpetual licence. If the slower write speed to SD card is a deal breaker for you than yes. Otherwise you are paying big premium for not much difference unless you really need those extra features.

Cine as you know is significantly more expensive. You pay for the internal very fast 1TB drive and ProRes perpetual licence. If the slower write speed to SD card is a deal breaker for you than yes. Otherwise you are paying big premium for not much difference unless you really need those extra features.
Indeed. Not to mention that all your eggs are in one flying basket if you fly multiple batteries before downloading the files from the SSD, and should that basket not be recoverable, it's an additional $2000 to replace the SSD over a microSD card!

Indeed. Not to mention that all your eggs are in one flying basket if you fly multiple batteries before downloading the files from the SSD, and should that basket not be recoverable, it's an additional $2000 to replace the SSD over a microSD card!
SSD drives these days are very reliable so I would not worry about that aspect too much. But in general you have a point. To me also the fact that the SSD is not removable and the drone must the powered on during download from the SSD is a bad solution. To sum it up, unless the OP really needs the fast write speed for photos and ProRes for video, buying Cine is a waste of money.

SSD drives these days are very reliable so I would not worry about that aspect too much. But in general you have a point. To me also the fact that the SSD is not removable and the drone must the powered on during download from the SSD is a bad solution. To sum it up, unless the OP really needs the fast write speed for photos and ProRes for video, buying Cine is a waste of money.
Agreed. However, I wasn't referring to any failure of the SSD. Only to the failure of the device in which it is installed, such as an irrecoverable crash of the Cine drone, because the Cine drive cannot be changed out with every battery change, like with microSD cards. While one can still use microSD cards in the Cine and swap them out, it defeats the purpose of buying the Cine. You cannot record Pro Res onto the microSD card, and the microSD DNG write speed is a fraction of the SSD.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas