DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3: w/RC Pro questions: OA/ exposure change shortcuts/ check GPS/ using phone Hotspot

jephoto

Reactions
1-How does OA work? Does the stopping distance increase as you speed up?
Today after taking off I flew it- dead slow- towards myself to see where it stopped. It actually got 3-4’ from me, but would not come closer.
-how do I verify OA is on?
So it works, but I’m hoping that if I were going 15mph it would stop further away or risk hitting something.

-Also on the P4P, I could hold in the C-2 button to narrow the sensor field so I could

fly in narrower spaces, but not the think there’s a way to do this on the M3- or is there?

-Exposire change shortcuts with buttons or screen?
Again with the P4P I could push in the left (or was it Right?) finger wheel to activate and toggle between ISO, Shutter or aperture.
On the RC Pro so far all I know is tapping on the screen to bring up the camera settings.
Is this the only way?

-How do I get the RC Pro to connect with my iPhone hotspot?
I tried to do that today to get the map, and it did not find my iPhone in the network list.
I was able to connect via Bluetooth- but the maps did not fill in.

Last edited:
Stopping distance increases with speed, but the detection distance is constant, which is why OA can be more of a pain than an asset. It will affect the drone behavior and ruin shots where there is plenty of clearance, but it stops, or flies around the detected object, that you tried to fly closely by or through, while it will still hit a wire or thin branch that it cannot detect.

OA is specified in the upper right of the screen. If it is red, it is off. I always have it off.

No narrowing of the sensor field exists. Just turn OA off for any close fly bys or tight shots.

Almost every button and multiple button combinations on the RC Pro can be customized in the Fly app. Dig down and find each of the buttons and button combinations and set them from among the various choices listed for each.

Turn on your iPhone hotspot in the iPhone settings, and then go to the network settings of the RC Pro and select your iPhone. Enter any password required the first time. It will then reconnect each time you manually turn on your iPhone hotspot.

Stopping distance increases with speed, but the detection distance is constant, which is why OA can be more of a pain than an asset. It will affect the drone behavior and ruin shots where there is plenty of clearance, but it stops, or flies around the detected object, that you tried to fly closely by or through, while it will still hit a wire or thin branch that it cannot detect.

OA is specified in the upper right of the screen. If it is red, it is off. I always have it off.

No narrowing of the sensor field exists. Just turn OA off for any close fly bys or tight shots.

Almost every button and multiple button combinations on the RC Pro can be customized in the Fly app. Dig down and find each of the buttons and button combinations and set them from among the various choices listed for each.

Turn on your iPhone hotspot in the iPhone settings, and then go to the network settings of the RC Pro and select your iPhone. Enter any password required the first time. It will then reconnect each time you manually turn on your iPhone hotspot.
Thanks. I’ll play with it.
But. RE: iPhone hotspot, I spent 20 min before a flight yesterday trying everything possible but tue iPhone does not show up in the network list.
A search on the forum tells me this has been an issue since the M3 came out. Bug in the firmware.
Was supposed to addressed 2 updates ago, but I don’t think it has.

It shows in the Bluetooth section , but not wifi which you need for Maps.

Has ANYONE here been able to use iPhone hotspot in the field to load maps with M3 & RC Pro? If so I’d love to tak to you.

You have an iPhone or Android?
I tried again in every way I can think of. The iPhone does not show in the network list.

Xfinity does, my neighbors around me do, my HP Fax-Scanner-printer does.... But NOT the iPhone.
Have you Googled how to set up a hot spot on your phone?

I know you don't know me. Lets save some time.
I've been flying DJI drones since 2014.

I've got 2 Phantom 3 Pro's and (until recently) had a P4P v2 since 2018. I use the hotspot ALL the time and have for years.
Not a newbie...
This is not an operator problem. It is possible that there is some setting I am missing as I am new to Mavic's and the RC Pro, but I don't really think so.
And I am not the only one with this issue

Again- if there is ANYONE on the forum that is able to connect an iPhone Hotspot with this combo - M3 & RC Pro, please chime in . I want to hear it.

******UPDATE********

I FIXED IT. Or rather figured out the issue. Read this thread in another forum:

Where someone says that the iPhone stops broadcasting it's SSID after 5 min.
So what I did was turn off the Wi-Fi on the controller, turn off the Hotspot on the iPhone and then turn them both on. And the iPhone showed up in the network list and when I chose it, asked for the Hotspot password (shows on screen under the On/Off switch for the Hotspot.

And it connected and I assume is now in my Saved Networks.

The map in Fly App populated immediately.
And I am Very Happy to figure this out.
Hope it helps you guys as well!

******UPDATE********

I FIXED IT. Or rather figured out the issue. Read this thread in another forum:

Where someone says that the iPhone stops broadcasting it's SSID after 5 min.
So what I did was turn off the Wi-Fi on the controller, turn off the Hotspot on the iPhone and then turn them both on. And the iPhone showed up in the network list and when I chose it, asked for the Hotspot password (shows on screen under the On/Off switch for the Hotspot.

And it connected and I assume is now in my Saved Networks.

The map in Fly App populated immediately.
And I am Very Happy to figure this out.
Hope it helps you guys as well!
Yup. Works exactly as I described above. I have both the M3 and RC Pro, and have been using them together since January. You also have to separately actually go to the actual Hotspot screen on the iPhone each time you want to connect to it. You just need to get the RC Pro to prompt you for the iPhone hotspot password and save it. I also go the the Network settings on the RC Pro each time to make sure it connects to the hotspot before I shut off the iPhone screen, and put my iPhone back into my pocket for the rest of the flight session. Glad you got it to work for you, too!

Reactions: jephoto
I wasn‘t aware of this feature. More information please.
In the configuration of the C1 or C2 buttons, it can be configured so that the proximity sensors are "turned off" while this previously configured button cancels the operation of the sensor, it does not narrow the field of action of the sensors, but it deactivates them while they are activated. keep the button pressed. In the manual of the RC of the Phantom 4Pro (at least in my case) the different functions of the programming that you can give to each of the buttons are described. Good luck.!🍀👍

FYI, in the Pilot2 app for the M3E, the OA settings are exposed with sliders to adjust.

Screenshot_20221201-134802.jpg

-Also on the P4P, I could hold in the C-2 button to narrow the sensor field so I could
fly in narrower spaces, but not the think there’s a way to do this on the M3- or is there?

Regarding the iOS hotspot, if a device is linked to it it will stay available.
Otherwise it's worth going to the Mobile Hotspot page of the Settings app, which should force it to be available while that page is open.

Once I had it set in my list it seems to connect without much effort.
Although I’ve taken to turning off and then back on again, my hotspot on the phone just before turning on the RC pro just so I know that it is broadcasting the SSID. That seems to work every time. I’m not sure that it’s absolutely necessary now, but that’s what I’ve been doing

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929