DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2: 2 problems, help!

Foxadriano

Reactions
Hello,
I state that I have little experience with drones. I have a Mavic Air 2 that has recently been giving me some tantrums and precisely:
1) For 2 times the drone has updated the automatic return while it was in flight and is not returning to the base from where it left but where it has updated the return point. Luckily it only happened 2 times out of 5-6 times that I used it recently.
2) As soon as the drone gets up in the air, the camera wobbles for about 10-15 seconds, as if the stabilizer doesn't work and then shoots perfectly (4K videos), as always. Fortunately, this is not always the case in this case, but it has happened to me recently already 2-3 times.
In your opinion, what could I do to solve these two problems?
Please answer me in a simple way.
Thank you so much!

How old is the MA2 ?? Is it still under warranty from DJI ?? Have you had any type of crash or hard landing ?? If it's still under warranty I would let DJI deal with it.

1) For 2 times the drone has updated the automatic return while it was in flight and is not returning to the base from where it left but where it has updated the return point. Luckily it only happened 2 times out of 5-6 times that I used it recently.
This is not how the drone is programmed to work, but I can think of something that might cause you to think that's what's happening.
If you can post data from a flight where this has happened, that will help confirm the cause of the issue so you can avoid it in future.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
How old is the MA2 ?? Is it still under warranty from DJI ?? Have you had any type of crash or hard landing ?? If it's still under warranty I would let DJI deal with it.

My drone is one years old but it got a hard landing. In fact a front sensor came out and then I put it back in its place.

Last edited:
Friends, this is the link of my data flight::
This is another one: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Another one: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

But I reapeat: I don't often have these problems. I posted the link with problems.
Anyway I have just calibrated the gimbal.
Thanks for your pleasant suggestions
Two of those files show the issue you described.
The problem is that in both flights, you launched before the drone was able to get good GPS location data.
When you launch before the drone gets GPS, you have no home point.
But as you fly away, the drone gets GPS and records a homepoint wherever it is when it gets GPS.
That is why the drone returns to a different location from the launch point.

You were lucky both times that the drone recorded a home point soon after takeoff and the homepoint was close to the launch point.

You just need to wait longer before launching and make sure that the drone has GPS data and records a homepoint before launching.

Waoooo, thank you so much. It seems my drone doesn't have problems. Maybe it has only one problem with gimbal.
Look at the 1° and 3° link please. But I will make other tests, again and again.

EDIT: I read:
"Overload stabilizer motor. Make sure that rotation is not impeded. (Code 40003) .; Weak GPS signal. Unstable parking. Fly with caution. (Code 30002)"

"Stabilizer blocked. Make sure that the stop has been removed and that rotation is not impeded. (Code 40002)".

Last edited:
Hello,
I state that I have little experience with drones. I have a Mavic Air 2 that has recently been giving me some tantrums and precisely:
2) As soon as the drone gets up in the air, the camera wobbles for about 10-15 seconds, as if the stabilizer doesn't work and then shoots perfectly (4K videos), as always. Fortunately, this is not always the case in this case, but it has happened to me recently already 2-3 times.
In your opinion, what could I do to solve these two problems?
Please answer me in a simple way.
Thank you so much!
RTH will set when in the air if it has not recognized enough satellites / GPS. That happens often where I fly. If you are out in the open - best thing to do is take-off and let it hover over where you took off from until you here "homepoint has been set" Then it will come home to where it took off from - albeit at a height of where it finally set at. Typically the RTH is set fairly quickly and can be while the drone is still sitting on the ground. Yet, again - depends on satellite / GPS lock before it does set. There is nothing wrong with the drone on this one.

Also one of the reasons I DO NOT USE RTH very often. Don't depend on it - it's a failsafe. If you "lose sight" of the drone - best before using RTH is the map in the bottom left of screen. AS it does work on Homepoint, not where you took off if RTH is not set - at least it gets you closer to where you are and can locate the drone visually. Simply touch the map and it will pop out and show you where the drone is in relation to the set homepoint. A blue arrow will then help you orient the drone to fly back to that homepoint so you can see it visually once again. A little gray spec (drone) in the sky at 75 meters up and 75 meters out is hard to find if there are trees and other things that tend to be where we fly. As many do if that is an issue is to buy a set of the "strobe" lights to attach to the drone for better VLOS while flying.

As for the camera - no idea. Never seen mine wobble, although it does move around a fair bit when the drone connects with the RC prior to take-off. Not sure if that is what you're describing - but that too is normal operation. I would be worried IF the camera "wobbles" in flight while taking video / pics - then there is a problem and DJI should be contacted.

Last edited:
As for the camera - no idea. Never seen mine wobble, although it does move around a fair bit when the drone connects with the RC prior to take-off. Not sure if that is what you're describing - but that too is normal operation. I would be worried IF the camera "wobbles" in flight while taking video / pics - then there is a problem and DJI should be contacted.
I understood everything, thank you. I would like to add one last thing: when I turn on the drone and I am about to fly, I see a message on my smartphone: "the gimbal is locked". Do you ever see this message on LCD? It is important for me to know it. Then if I shoot as soon as the drone begins to fly, the camera shakes for 10 seconds and then no more. This only happens the first time. I did other tests after 30 minutes but I have not had any more of these problems. I also tried to offset (move to one side) the camera with my hands and then turned on the drone, but everything was fine.
I thank you again.

I understood everything, thank you. I would like to add one last thing: when I turn on the drone and I am about to fly, I see a message on my smartphone: "the gimbal is locked". Do you ever see this message on LCD? It is important for me to know it. Then if I shoot as soon as the drone begins to fly, the camera shakes for 10 seconds and then no more. This only happens the first time. I did other tests after 30 minutes but I have not had any more of these problems. I also tried to offset (move to one side) the camera with my hands and then turned on the drone, but everything was fine.
I thank you again.
Only time I have a gimbal issue is if I forget to take off the gimbal cover and power on the drone. Is that what you're talking about?

If not, then I'd contact DJI and open a case with them to see what they say. I'm sure you're not the only one who may have this issue, so they should be able to help figure it out or have you send yours in for repair.

Only time I have a gimbal issue is if I forget to take off the gimbal cover and power on the drone. Is that what you're talking about?

If not, then I'd contact DJI and open a case with them to see what they say.

No, unfortunately I'm not talking about the gimbal cover.
When you tell me "open a case", what do tou mean precisely? Do I have to send them an email, or is there any other option?

No, unfortunately I'm not talking about the gimbal cover.
When you tell me "open a case", what do tou mean precisely? Do I have to send them an email, or is there any other option?
Go to DJI's website and it'll instruct you on how to open a case. Since you're in Europe, I'm sure it's a bit different than in the USA.

Turned off, is there any binding in the gimble if moved by hand, like debris or cable blocking movement? Bent arm? Any unusual sounds from gimble motors when running?

What you describe sounds like grit or sand in the gimbal, try blowing compressed air into it and make sure it moves freely. I had the same problem after taking off / landing on a sandy beach.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+