DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 camera.

Mikkin59

Reactions
Hi all. I'm new to this group. I'm not sure I'm posting in the right section.
I've had a mavic air 2 since its uk release.
My problem is the camera. I've tried it on all settings but no matter what setting I'm on the photos are still terrible quality. They are just about ok until I try to crop. Any slight crop and the pictures are terribly pixally. If I zoom into them they are terrible. I previously had a mavic mini and it took much better quality pics.
Can someone give me a clue? I'm hoping it's not a faulty camera.
Many thanks in advance.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Mikkin59.

I assume you are using the photos from the SD card and not the cached images on the device?

The stuff on the device is low quality and is used for reference.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Are you able to post some representative pictures in full quality on this site? That might help us get an idea what you are dealing with. Speaking for myself, I have no problem with the quality, even when enlarged.

This isn't a 35mm digital camera with expensive lenses. To expect tack sharp images enlarged images is exceeding the technical limitations of a small sensor and lens.

This isn't a 35mm digital camera with expensive lenses. To expect tack sharp images enlarged images is exceeding the technical limitations of a small sensor and lens.
Yes I know that. But these are awful quality. Not a patch on the mavic mini pictures I got.

I have tested the Mini before and own the Air 2 now and I consider the photos actually superior.
I'd also like to ask for an example to find out what's wrong with yours.

Reactions: Heindrich1988
My problem is the camera. I've tried it on all settings but no matter what setting I'm on the photos are still terrible quality. They are just about ok until I try to crop. Any slight crop and the pictures are terribly pixally. If I zoom into them they are terrible. I previously had a mavic mini and it took much better quality pics.
Many thanks in advance.
Is it possible that you are saving in both JPG and RAW, and you are viewing the RAW images? The RAW images themselves could be likened to a digital negative which needs to be processed to full quality. Otherwise, you may have a faulty camera. I have found the Air 2 to take some wonderful photos with a high level of detail and clarity.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
Are you using manual or auto exposure? Try using manual exposure and increasing the shutter speed somewhat then adjust in post. Auto will probably give a shutter speed of around 1/100 sec which will give you unsharp images.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder( I just made that up) ..waiting to see the pictures.

The MA2 is the one drone that I was blown away by the camera. For the price there selling these for it’s fantastic. Got to be you or the drone.

Many thanks in advance.

You're in the right section -

Here as some examples, I shoot pretty much in Smart mode, and occasionally take the DNG's and tweak them a bit - like the first couple in the gallery.

If you're not getting your socks blown off by the results with the MA2, there is something up with your drone or settings. As others have said, please post some examples, throw a couple in dropbox and post some links.

Reactions: Modra
Correct.
When you shoot pictures in RAW will look terrible on the computer without processing. If you want a nice picture out of the drone without processing you need to shoot in JPG. Same with the video. When you shoot in H265 and D-LOG will look terrible as well, however, RAW and D-LOG contain so much information that is the file you want for processing the picture (Editing)

But if you are a beginner, stay with JPG and Normal videos H264 for more compatibility.

Reactions: MA2 317
Correct. But even if RAW can look very flat and desaturated, it shouldn't be pixelated, as described by the OP.
This will all be speculative on our side until we see some samples.

Correct. But even if RAW can look very flat and desaturated, it shouldn't be pixelated, as described by the OP.
This will all be speculative on our side until we see some samples.
I disagree. The RAW looks with less pixels and less saturate by nature when is open in the normal picture viewer of windows.

Look this pictures comparation. The first image is a DNG (RAW) taken with my Mavic 2 Pro opened in Windows image viewer and the same picture in JPG since I have both formats. Look how the JPG looks sharper and better.
The second image is the same JPG next to the unmodified DNG (RAW) just opened in Photoshop. As you see Photoshop is able to read all the data information, colors, pixels ect... Try opening your DNG in photoshop or Light room or your picture processing software of preference and you will see the difference.

1.jpg

2.jpg

JPEG looks sharper because of artificial sharpening. You can always add this in post-processing.
The advantage of RAW will only show if you have high-contrast situations and would like to adjust the distribution of shades. In such situations, the limits of 8 bit JPEG will be a problem.
But for many scenes, the additional effort will not really be justified.

Thank you all for your replies. I have just got another Air 2 delivered. The photos are perfect, very impressive. So the first one was definitely a faulty camera and it's being sent back today.
Thanks again for all the replies. ?

Reactions: Modra and MA2 317
Thank you all for your replies. I have just got another Air 2 delivered. The photos are perfect, very impressive. So the first one was definitely a faulty camera and it's being sent back today.
Thanks again for all the replies. ?

Good to hear you have the problem solved.

Now enjoy the view as it was ment to be.

Reactions: Mikkin59
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22