DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Controller - USB-C jack to phone, be careful with it

tbernardi

Reactions
This is me offering up a stupid mistake I made with my Air 2 after only two weeks of use. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and I was trying to plug the lightning cable end of the plug into the USB-C on the controller. I think I tried 3 times until I caught my mistake. It was a big, big mistake. Once I plugged it in the right way, the controller would not link to the phone. I figured I bent the cable end, or I messed up the jack. Off to Apple to get a new cable from them. Unfortunately, it wasn't the cable. I was able to pry a small screwdriver into the controller and straighten out the USB-C port so it would work sporadically. I have since replaced my controller with a new one and all is back to normal.

Not suggesting that you refined pilots would do something as stupid as I did, but treat that USB-C plug with tender loving care. Especially if you continually yank out the cord.

Reactions: hiflyer201
You should try the micro USB port on the side of the other mavic controllers. Arrrrgh
I think USB-C is meant to be reversible but micro USB isnt. Yet, because the socket in the side of the other mavic controllers is a type A socket and rectangular, the type B plug (cut off 'upper' corners) used by the charging lead can be put part-way-in upside down and stands a fair chance of doing your thing of bending something. I wish they could revert to the old big USB connectors at least they stand some abuse.
Minaturisation is not always a good thing lol.

Is it not possible to leave the cable permanently plugged into the controller? Perhaps with something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Gen1-Female-Adapter/dp/B01GGKYYT0 or a 90deg/right angle version of it

That's my plan.. Now that I have a longer cable from Apple. Just gonna keep that cable plugged in and not touch it. I ordered an iPad Mini 5 and a bracket so I'm gonna see how that works out tomorrow when it comes in the mail. The Apple USB-C cable does not have as big a footprint as the cable that comes from DJI. I absolutely love the Air 2 controller.. I just made a horrible mistake and paid a price.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
As someone who flys only once in a while, I put a drop of the wife’s fingernail polish on the controller and the cord end so I know it’s right every time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugHunter