DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 footage jumpy

Phil1664

Reactions
Morning,

I've had a Mavic Air 2 for a month but all of the 4k footage (and 2.7k as well) appears jumpy and fragmented. I've changed SD cards (all fast cards as recommended by DJI), tried 2 different computers, formatted the cards, updated the firmware and upgraded Codecs for Windows media player.

Footage is compressed using H.265 (only option in the Fly app) and appears to be corrupted on both the Cached files on my phone and the SD cards as well as when played in Adobe Premiere. The actual quality is there but consistency is nowhere. Happens no matter what frame rate I shoot in as well.

DJI want to look at the internals after all firmware has been updated but has anyone had similar problems?

My PC is running a fast processor and 32gb RAM so can handle other 4k footage without issue.

Does anyone have a short piece of original 4K footage from any Mavic I could try running to rule out the computer as the issue?

Many thanks,

Phil

Morning,

I've had a Mavic Air 2 for a month but all of the 4k footage (and 2.7k as well) appears jumpy and fragmented. I've changed SD cards (all fast cards as recommended by DJI), tried 2 different computers, formatted the cards, updated the firmware and upgraded Codecs for Windows media player.

Footage is compressed using H.265 (only option in the Fly app) and appears to be corrupted on both the Cached files on my phone and the SD cards as well as when played in Adobe Premiere. The actual quality is there but consistency is nowhere. Happens no matter what frame rate I shoot in as well.

DJI want to look at the internals after all firmware has been updated but has anyone had similar problems?

My PC is running a fast processor and 32gb RAM so can handle other 4k footage without issue.

Does anyone have a short piece of original 4K footage from any Mavic I could try running to rule out the computer as the issue?

Many thanks,

Phil
If you hadn’t have said that your PC could handle it I would have said it’s your PC - It could be write speed on your card too - what speed is your SD card? If it’s your card your PC will just replicate what and how it wrote to the card - Would try running the footage from another device to prove your card and Pc or al least identify which is at fault - Change the SD card too - I’m using this on my Mavic air 2:
SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JYVKNX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
With no issues

have you tried filming in lower res? 2.7k or 1080? Are the symptoms the same? - It’s about fault finding

good luck

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about the SD cards first. I originally had a Samsung Evo Plus 128gb (in the user manual as a recommended card) and then changed to a SanDisc Extreme Pro 128gb (also a recommended card) and then even tried recording to the internal storage, always the same problem - jumpy footage!

I've dropped the quality down to 2.7k and dropped the frame rate as well, always an issue. 1080p seems to be OK though, which is strange.

I'm as sure as I can be that the computer is fine (never had a problem before) and it plays other 4k footage without a problem.

I'm hoping to get some original 4K footage from another drone to see how that plays. If that's fine, it must be the drone...

You've eliminated the card (I use Sandisk Extreme), the computer (plays other 4k footage), and 1080p works...so it's got to be something in the drone. ?

Cache video taken from the mobile device will be either 720p or 1080p, and simply a capture of the live FPV feed. SD card in this case should have no bearing.

Graphics card has a huge influence on playback. I used to have stutter on 1080p footage from my P3, which was rectified when I upgraded my graphics card. Otherwise I never had playback from other video sources with the original card. There seems to be a lot more video data recorded on SD card than you'd typically come across with consumer videos.

It's certainly perplexing! My gut feeling was the computer. I've updated the drivers for the graphics card now and it seems to play back in Premiere Pro but still not in Windows Film & TV player of VLC. Frustrating but not terminal. The graphics card is a 4GB Nvidia GTX970 - old but still powerful enough to manage 4K, unless the bitrate is too high.

The drone is being exchanged next week to rule that out in any case, if problems persist then I'll have to have a dig into the computer an see what can be changed.

In the meantime, I've dropped a short clip of 4k 60fps in a shared folder (hopefully should work) - would someone mind taking a look to see if it plays OK?

H265 Codec is very processor intensive. You can shoot everything except 4K/60 in H264. Just be aware that any time you shoot 4K60, it will revert to H265 (that is the only codec for that mode) and you have to manually go back into the settings to change back to H264.

Reactions: Zigzagbrown
It's certainly perplexing! My gut feeling was the computer. I've updated the drivers for the graphics card now and it seems to play back in Premiere Pro but still not in Windows Film & TV player of VLC. Frustrating but not terminal. The graphics card is a 4GB Nvidia GTX970 - old but still powerful enough to manage 4K, unless the bitrate is too high.

The drone is being exchanged next week to rule that out in any case, if problems persist then I'll have to have a dig into the computer an see what can be changed.

In the meantime, I've dropped a short clip of 4k 60fps in a shared folder (hopefully should work) - would someone mind taking a look to see if it plays OK?

Your video plays OK on my Samsung A10 (2016) tablet!
I got similar issues when I was constrained to use Windows 10 HVEC (265?) codec to play high frame rate videos produced by Gopro 9 on my otherwise performing PC (same Film TV player as yours). The problem seems to go away if I reduce the size of the window. So it is probably due to decompression delays and loss of smoothness between the main CPU and the graphics card processor. Let us remember that H265 has been introduced essentially for compression of rich intensive high resolution / frame rate video files. The reason why it runs OK on my old A10 tablet is probably one CPU is doing everything i.e. the decompression and the display while in the PC architecture the central CPU does the decompression while the graphics processor does the display and there is no smooth cooperation between the 2. Blame it on the Codec! Probably the advanced graphics cards will do all the job.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121