DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Remote Controller Not Charging - Tear Down and Possible Fix?

pixelshooter

Reactions
Hey all,

So I bought a Mavic Air 2 from a guy only to realise later that the RC does not charge. No lights when I plug it into the charging hub. Tried a different cable and still no luck. So I connected the RC to my windows laptop and instantly got a notification that the USB port is drawing too much current.

Suspecting a short, I used a multimeter in continuity mode and probed the first and last pins of the USB cable. And yes, there was indeed a short.

So I opened up the RC (how to video here: here.)

I was able to charge the 18650 batteries directly using a Li-on battery charger

gJLDFDn.jpg

My best guess is that this component which the red arrow points to (I believe it is a Transient Voltage Suppressor) has a short.

lfvHFIM.jpg

The multimeter shows continuity across both ends of this component.

I searched for "6.0CA" on Mouser and found: SMAJ6.0CA-13-F

If anyone knows if the short is due to the 6.0CA TVS gone bad, or can suggest troubleshooting steps, I'd be very thankful.

The RC works fine otherwise. It just doesn't charge.

Hi. A few times I found damaged female micro USB ports. No much experience with c-usb female ports but I wonder if there is a short circuit inside the female c-port.
Also maybe you could use a tooth brush around the soldering pads of this small electronic component next to USB port just in case there is a contuctive substance around. If these tiny electronic components are damaged , they are so delicate. I mean if there was a bulky resistor or capacitor it will be easy to remove and solder again.
I hope your remote control works again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-27-15-36-48-62_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-27-15-36-48-62_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: pixelshooter
The controllers are selling for as little as $50 on eBay if your experiment doesn't go well and several of them have gone unsold on the classifieds here recently so someone may be willing to let one go inexpensively. Let us know how this unfolds.

Reactions: rickfmdj
You changed the component and it worked?
Cambiaste el componente y funcionó?

Yes, I got the component from China and fixed it. Now the remote controller charges fine. I soldered it to the board and tested it out 2 weeks ago.

I purchased the SMF 6.0CA TVS DIODE from "Shanghai Yint Electronic Co., Ltd." on Alibaba.

Reactions: Dharris6891
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada