DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 vs. Mini 2?

nilGLL

Reactions
Looking to buy my son his first drone (of course I'll be playing with it first). Which one is better for a 15-year old? Do you think he'll be able to handle the Air 2? The MA2 is "safer" to fly, but the Mini 2 is cheaper so it won't hurt that much when it gets damaged or lost.

I would get a refurbished original mini
Get it directly from DJI, you could get two and get refresh and then when one is broke just use the other one and wait for the other one to come back. And you also could fly them together.

Last edited:
They're all safe above any obstacles! Depending on MA2 obstacle avoidance is far from a guarantee no crashes!

Get the MA2 and both of you learn to be safe and competent pilots. Think of it as a father/son bonding project.

Being 24 and having 15 year old son must have been challenging for you at a younger age.?

Good luck with whichever product you choose.

Reactions: speedalot
In Europe the decision would be extremely simple:

One cannot fly Mavic Air 2 - 570 grams (Class C1) before the age of 16 and without proper pilot certification -> A1/A3 Open category.

I believe it is the same in the states (UAS regulations part 107)?

Get mav2 it’s better in a every aspect and get combo so you save later for all accessories

In Europe the decision would be extremely simple:

One cannot fly Mavic Air 2 - 570 grams (Class C1) before the age of 16 and without proper pilot certification -> A1/A3 Open category.

I believe it is the same in the states (UAS regulations part 107)?
That's a difference between Europe and the USA.

In the USA, the only advantage to a weight < 250g is that the drone does not need to be registered if flying purely recreationally. Under recreational rules, there is no age limit, and no license is needed. The weight limit is 25 kg (55 pounds). There is a minimum age of 13 required to register a drone, so if a 12 year old wanted to fly a Mavic Air, it would need to be registered in the name of someone over 13 years old, probably a parent. But there's no minimum age requirement for recreational flying, so even a two-year-old could fly a 20 kg drone without breaking explicit FAA rules, though I suspect some generic rule about careless and reckless parenting and/or child endangerment might apply.

Part 107 is a separate set of rules that applies to commercial flight, or more precisely, to any flight that is not strictly recreational. Under Part 107 rules, you must have a license, and the minimum age to receive a license is 16. You must pass a written exam. When flying under Part 107, any drone, regardless of weight, must be registered, and all drones < 25 kg (55 pounds) are treated equally.

So there is no difference between EU and USA.

Drones over 250 grams -> licence & 16 years.
I guess I wasn't clear.

For recreational flying, no license and no age limit, regardless of weight, as long as it's below 25kg.

For commercial flight, license and 16 years, regardless of weight, as long as it's below 25kg.

Registration (not licensing) is required for all drones except those under 250g used only for recreation.

Registration is cheap and easy, no test required. It just involves getting an ID number and writing it on the outside of the drone. It makes it easier for the authorities to track you down if they find your drone after an accident.

I would purchase a drone based on your needs. I started out flying toy drones for $30 and still fly them to this day. I learned how to fly them without all the bells and whistles on the other drones. Once you have mastered the cheap drones it is easy to fly the big money drones. Developing your coordination and knowing how to fly without obstacle avoidance is something everyone needs to learn. My 7 year old grandson can fly the toys with ease and when he becomes of age is is ready for the big drones. If money is not an issue, I would get the Mini 2 and just keep it and build from there. I have Mini 1 and 2, Air 2, and Mavic 2. For the fun flying and just pure relaxation I love the Mini 2 the best. Happy flying and get what you want to get and not worry about it.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada