DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic as a handheld gimbal

dennya

Reactions
My only disappointment about switching my plan from Karma to Mavic was not getting the "free" handheld gimbal in the package. So I was curious if the small Mavic could be used on the ground to shoot some stabilized footage.

The answer is, sorta.

Can you use the DJI Mavic Pro as a makeshift alternative to a handheld gimbal?

Not a replacement for frequent use, but possible for grabbing some footage (sans audio) in a pinch.

Search for a used Osmo-Mobile instead, $200 used (almost bought one the other day but missed it by 30 minutes...) and you have a handheld gimbal.

Search for a used Osmo-Mobile instead, $200 used (almost bought one the other day but missed it by 30 minutes...) and you have a handheld gimbal.

Fine...except you are limited to smartphone quality as opposed to 4K with the Karma.

My only disappointment about switching my plan from Karma to Mavic was not getting the "free" handheld gimbal in the package. So I was curious if the small Mavic could be used on the ground to shoot some stabilized footage.

The answer is, sorta.

Not a replacement for frequent use, but possible for grabbing some footage (sans audio) in a pinch.
Never thought about the audio. Seems like you would want sound with many handheld gimbal shots. I suppose you could record audio on your phone or a small digital audio recorder and sync it later.

The answer is, sorta.

There are some videos on youtube demonstrating this , however some people have pointed out that using this as so will cause some negative effects to the gimbal (heating etc)

Just picked up an Osmo Mobile at the Apple Store today, so I'd only use the Mavic for some quick shots if I didn't have that with me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+