DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal epilepsy!!!

Swatts

Reactions
Hi, just joined from the UK in the hope one of you guys or gals will attempt to decipher what on earth is going on with my (new!) Mavic gimbal during flight and recording operations.
This is how it goes - everything is callibrated (gimbal included), all is sweet and ready to fly. Up we go and commence what will be a great flight with awesome footage. Press record and it pings into action. But then - and it can be anything from 10secs to 30secs the gimbal/camera has what can only be described as an epileptic fit switching to all angles, focusing at all distances (cancelling the recording underway) until a few seconds later it settles as if nothing happened. Again, press record, and again 10-30secs in all hell breaks loose and recording stops. the only variable I haven't checked is a new SD card. I only had one 4k compatible one though Ive just ordered a new one now (04/17).
It's getting me so down - I'm supposed to be filming for other people in a few days time! Just clueless at what's going on. Any ideas anyone?!!!

Sometimes reformatting the card in the drone helps, also did you make sure you removed all the stickers from the gimbal (silly but it can happen.)

Sometimes reformatting the card in the drone helps, also did you make sure you removed all the stickers (silly but it can happen.)
I've formatted the card a few times. There is that little yellow tag just above the lens that seems to disappear into the gimbal mechanism - does that shift? - Thank you!

I've formatted the card a few times. There is that little yellow tag just above the lens that seems to disappear into the gimbal mechanism - does that shift? - Thank you!
I removed the yellow tab, others have stated the yellow tab causes the symptoms you are experiencing, it caused the gimbal to think it is hung up on something, but remove it carefully (as with everything.) Some people claim it is to stop scratches or something but I pulled mine and have never had issues.

No, I've seen on another forum that that's just cosmetic and in no way interferes. So, square one.

I removed the yellow tab, others have stated the yellow tab causes the symptoms you are experiencing, it caused the gimbal to think it is hung up on something, but remove it carefully (as with everything.) Some people claim it is to stop scratches or something but I pulled mine and have never had issues.
OOOH. OK - I'll remove it then. Blimey if it's as easy as that then I'll be so very happy. Thanks again.

No, I've seen on another forum that that's just cosmetic and in no way interferes. So, square one.
I know of one person who removed it and did not suffer the problems you have, your call friend. Otherwise you can calibrate everything, starting with uninstall and reinstall the app on your device first, then redo the firmware if needed, then calibrate the IMU and sensors but I would seriously try the yellow tab.

I would also try a different SD card- a quality card that can do at least 60Mb/sec.

Thank you! Card arrives in a couple days - top spec. I tentatively think it might have stopped though by removing the yellow tab/sticker to the top of the gimbal housing. Haven't tried it in the field yet but in the hand it seems to be ok. I shall confirm as soon as I get it flying again. Thank you!

I know of one person who removed it and did not suffer the problems you have, your call friend. Otherwise you can calibrate everything, starting with uninstall and reinstall the app on your device first, then redo the firmware if needed, then calibrate the IMU and sensors but I would seriously try the yellow tab.
Think (think) it might have worked! All seems well in the hand - was originally failing when recording without flying also. I shall let you know when flying again - ASAP!!! Thank you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
controllesp