DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic high wind, airdata read

Reactions
Hello,
Yesterday i flew and there was no wind on the ground but i got an red land asap message. I saw in airdata there was 1 windgust of 29kmh (18 miles). It seems like the message will appear a little early. Do I need to take the message seriously?

Yesterday i flew and there was no wind on the ground but i got an red land asap message. I saw in airdata there was 1 windgust of 29kmh (18 miles). It seems like the message will appear a little early. Do I need to take the message seriously?
We don't have any information to work with here and have no idea how high you were or what wind was blowing there.
But wind is usually quite a bit higher at higher altitudes so it's possible that the warning was correct.

the warning is based on algorithms, in the the operating system of the drone ,and as such when certain parameters are met the warning will come up ,it is an advisory that at the level you are flying at ,the wind could cause issues to the drones ability to make headway, or have enough power to get back home relative to the remaining battery power sudden gusts can be more problematic than a steady wind ,just lower your altitude and direction and see if the warning happens again,if you choose to just carry on and ignore it its at your peril

Thanks for the replies

We don't have any information to work with here and have no idea how high you were or what wind was blowing there.
But wind is usually quite a bit higher at higher altitudes so it's possible that the warning was correct.

The whole flight was at 30 meters. Ground wind about 14kmh. And according to uav weather forecast app was 28 at 30m, and airdata uav app (paid version) readout said it was a gust 29 at my flight. So that all was correct. But I was very surprised I got that message at that low windspeed. With my phantom I flew in a lot stronger winds

the warning is based on algorithms, in the the operating system of the drone ,and as such when certain parameters are met the warning will come up ,it is an advisory that at the level you are flying at ,the wind could cause issues to the drones ability to make headway, or have enough power to get back home relative to the remaining battery power sudden gusts can be more problematic than a steady wind ,just lower your altitude and direction and see if the warning happens again,if you choose to just carry on and ignore it its at your peril
Thanks. So it is not only a warning for dangerous wind, but for battery management

Thanks for the replies

The whole flight was at 30 meters. Ground wind about 14kmh. And according to uav weather forecast app was 28 at 30m, and airdata uav app (paid version) readout said it was a gust 29 at my flight. So that all was correct. But I was very surprised I got that message at that low windspeed. With my phantom I flew in a lot stronger winds

Thanks. So it is not only a warning for dangerous wind, but for battery management
the IMU collects data from many different sensors during the flight and based on what info it gets it then decides if a message is needed

There is no real data that suggests that the warnings are not accurate.

Thanks for the replies

In my personal experience, Dutch wind is something fierce. I was staying in Amsterdam, thought I'd fly my M1P a bit, no idea the canal is Class C airspace. On the right is AMS police headquarters, the Dutch MOJ, and Central Station in the distance. My Mavic gave all the same warnings...land now, ESC errors, Class C space. I was very scared; I didn't think I'd make the RTH. The ripples on the flat water canal say it all. I was staying at a hotel across the street; it felt like a wind tunnel. So did the canal. Safe flying!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm a long time Px flyer, and IMHO it did perform better than the Mavic 1, out in the Polder. But Mavics travel so much more easily, and are close to a P4's flight characteristics. FYI, there are non DJI approved modifications, that can increase performance (but at the expense of airframe). I think the forums here don't like their discussion.....best.

I get those warnings often here in the desert as there is always some kind of wind. I figure that sensors in the drone are able to sense what forces are used to hold position and therefore warn as to strong winds.

I'm a long time Px flyer, and IMHO it did perform better than the Mavic 1, out in the Polder. But Mavics travel so much more easily, and are close to a P4's flight characteristics. FYI, there are non DJI approved modifications, that can increase performance (but at the expense of airframe). I think the forums here don't like their discussion.....best.

Thanks. What is a px?
Sounds like a scary flight there in Amsterdam.
That de mavic travels much more easy is the reason I sold my p3 pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaffito