DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 Chicago Footage and Can Handle!

AtortPhotography

Reactions
***First off with my 107 this is NOT illegal to be flying this high here totally double checked and confirmed even had Greg from Pilot Institute triple check coordinates and airspace one last time so ALL good.***. If NO 107 then this would be a HUGE not allowed thing since technically in Chicago at least without your 107 you can't even fly in city limits let alone this high. FYI for some who don't know.

The Mini 1 was absolutely horrendous flying in the city limits and the Mini 2 is literally an entirely new drone instilling confidence once again with occusync 2.0. I would not have thought anything more than 4K would have been exciting to me but this transmission update hands down is the #1 improvement in this cool little drone. For real if you fly in the city sell your Mini 1 while you can before they become worthless and get a Mini 2! :)

Enjoy.

Very nice video. Colors are so sharp. Knowing Chicago as the windy city, how windy was it that day? Seems pretty calm.

Very nice video. Colors are so sharp. Knowing Chicago as the windy city, how windy was it that day? Seems pretty calm.
I intentionally went down early because I knew were going to be light winds around 7mph and it flew beautifully. I took it up on a much windier day and was having issues with the gimbal only. That little drone can now handle winds and the signal is rock solid. I sold my Mini 1 yesterday and was in the city and did a test flight for the buyer....and literally flying 100 feet away the signal would go in and out and then almost crashed into a building. Mini 1 is miserable in the city limits! Thankfully didn’t crash and sold and moved on from that drone forever.

Reactions: Jay241
While the city certainly has winds and is not even in the top ten cities for wind, it is from the old days of the politicians talking so much they created wind. Thus the Windy City. I left after 49 years and live in heaven now :)

While the city certainly has winds and is not even in the top ten cities for wind, it is from the old days of the politicians talking so much they created wind. Thus the Windy City. I left after 49 years and live in heaven now :)
Yeah I will be back in Hawaii one day...taking care of my elderly Mom here with dementia so thankfully at least I live out in the far west suburbs.

***First off with my 107 this is NOT illegal to be flying this high here totally double checked and confirmed even had Greg from Pilot Institute triple check coordinates and airspace one last time so ALL good.***. If NO 107 then this would be a HUGE not allowed thing since technically in Chicago at least without your 107 you can't even fly in city limits let alone this high. FYI for some who don't know.

The Mini 1 was absolutely horrendous flying in the city limits and the Mini 2 is literally an entirely new drone instilling confidence once again with occusync 2.0. I would not have thought anything more than 4K would have been exciting to me but this transmission update hands down is the #1 improvement in this cool little drone. For real if you fly in the city sell your Mini 1 while you can before they become worthless and get a Mini 2! :)

Enjoy.

Nice shooting, as always. Your profile says "Hawaii"... But you can't tell me you're vacationing in Chicago for an extended ? period. So fess up... Where are you now. But more importantly, when did you shoot this? Had to be when we had the 70° weather last week. And where did you launch from to shoot the SEARS Tower? Looks like you were about 1350' AGL? You do really nice stuff and have a great eye!

And you're right... the Mini 1 got grounded a lot here, hence I went for a M2P only weeks after getting my Mini 1. And you're right... It was time to sell the Mini 1 before it became valueless. I got my Mini 2 yesterday... just in time to celebrate the incoming cold, crappy weather ?.

Nice shooting, as always. Your profile says "Hawaii"... But you can't tell me you're vacationing in Chicago for an extended ? period. So fess up... Where are you now. But more importantly, when did you shoot this? Had to be when we had the 70° weather last week. And where did you launch from to shoot the SEARS Tower? Looks like you were about 1350' AGL? You do really nice stuff and have a great eye!

And you're right... the Mini 1 got grounded a lot here, hence I went for a M2P only weeks after getting my Mini 1. And you're right... It was time to sell the Mini 1 before it became valueless. I got my Mini 2 yesterday... just in time to celebrate the incoming cold, crappy weather ?.
lol I normally live Hawaii but am back in Chicago where I was born raised to help care for my elderly Mom who has dementia. So I am here for the moment until this COVID thing shifts a bit. I just shot this a few days ago when I posted....was not warm. Yeah I flew higher but only used a bit lower for the edit. Thank you and hope this explains things a bit. The Mini 1 in the city literally was as polar opposite in regards to connection with the controller was a nightmare. Cheers to your Mini 2 it's an awesome little drone! Aloha

lol I normally live Hawaii but am back in Chicago where I was born raised to help care for my elderly Mom who has dementia. So I am here for the moment until this COVID thing shifts a bit. I just shot this a few days ago when I posted....was not warm. Yeah I flew higher but only used a bit lower for the edit. Thank you and hope this explains things a bit. The Mini 1 in the city literally was as polar opposite in regards to connection with the controller was a nightmare. Cheers to your Mini 2 it's an awesome little drone! Aloha
Sorry to hear about your mom. Dementia isn't easy to deal with.

I don't know that I'd have the cojones to even fly my M2 that high. Hey... Before you return I'd love to get together with you once this COVID spike subsides. I think I could pick up a thing or two from you. Out of curiosity, what NLE are you using?

Sorry to hear about your mom. Dementia isn't easy to deal with.

I don't know that I'd have the cojones to even fly my M2 that high. Hey... Before you return I'd love to get together with you once this COVID spike subsides. I think I could pick up a thing or two from you. Out of curiosity, what NLE are you using?
Where you located? Sure no problem let me know. What is NLE? :)

First of all, let me say it’s really cool video. But I am just curious, since you’re so far above the 400’ limit, aren’t you concerned that you’ll get in big trouble with the law by posting the video?

By the way with the 107, don't you actually have to apply for a waiver to go above 400' ? Like it's 400' for both commercial and recreational, but you still have to request authorization/waiver so it's on record that you did that. (ie: the waiver that would be applied for would be 107.51).

Like you can see the waivers issued here and when they expire. Part 107 Waivers Issued which will also show the operating area per person. Because it's not like you can just have a 107 certificate in your pocket, and just exceed limits that apply to both 107 and recreational.

The last waiver issued for 107.51 (flying above 400') was in late September.

Just seems odd that you got your 107 certificate without knowing that.

Last edited:
By the way with the 107, don't you actually have to apply for a waiver to go above 400' ? Like it's 400' for both commercial and recreational, but you still have to request authorization/waiver so it's on record that you did that. (ie: the waiver that would be applied for would be 107.51).

Like you can see the waivers issued here and when they expire. Part 107 Waivers Issued which will also show the operating area per person. Because it's not like you can just have a 107 certificate in your pocket, and just exceed limits that apply to both 107 and recreational.

It’s 400’ above the structure I was no higher than 1400’ range....which is legal. No waiver needed I wasn’t on a job just getting footage for my own usage.

That makes more sense versus what you were originally saying (that you could go that high or in that area just because you had a 107 certificate). Since you're saying you stayed within 400' height being above the structure.

And if you're just there for your recreation, 107 rules wouldn't apply and touting that you have it wouldn't mean anything. If the airspace was restricted to only commercial usage there's probably a waiver involved in that process before taking flight.
It’s 400’ above the structure I was no higher than 1400’ range....which is legal. No waiver needed I wasn’t on a job just getting footage for my own usage

The Class B there starts at 3000 MSL. So if you flew within 400 feet of it, and no higher than 400 feet on top, it would take you to 1906 AGL and 2499 MSL, which would still make you clear of the Class B airspace. So legal. I looked into this believe me to make certain. I do know others fly this building like this too so there is that, but of course doesn't guarantee they are doing it legally or safely either.

Reactions: karlblessing

Perhaps I need straightening out, or misunderstand what you're trying to say... A recreational pilot (sans 107) can ONLY fly 400' AGL max- period (assuming airspace allows that). OTOH, a Part 107 pilot can fly 400' above the tallest structure that he is within 400' - without any type of waiver or authorization unless in controlled airspace. We went over that with @Big Al 454 a whole bunch of times. I could be wrong, and if so need to be corrected.

Perhaps I need straightening out, or misunderstand what you're trying to say... A recreational pilot (sans 107) can ONLY fly 400' AGL max- period (assuming airspace allows that). OTOH, a Part 107 pilot can fly 400' above the tallest structure that he is within 400' - without any type of waiver or authorization unless in controlled airspace. We went over that with @Big Al 454 a whole bunch of times. I could be wrong, and if so need to be corrected.
I think the confusion is that one can have their 107 snd not be flying for a paid job using the 107 like I was here. All I know is a did my research and checked with pilots that know and teach 107 courses for a living and said I was good to go nothing illegal at all. To make this m0re simplistic if you don’t have a 107 in Chicago technically it’s illegal to fly anywhere anytime even 10 feet so there’s that. If in Chicago without your 107 you’ll have more issues flying 100 feet than I would with my 107 flying 1400’.

I think the confusion is that one can have their 107 snd not be flying for a paid job using the 107 like I was here. All I know is a did my research and checked with pilots that know and teach 107 courses for a living and said I was good to go nothing illegal at all. To make this m0re simplistic if you don’t have a 107 in Chicago technically it’s illegal to fly anywhere anytime even 10 feet so there’s that. If in Chicago without your 107 you’ll have more issues flying 100 feet than I would with my 107 flying 1400’.
I have done extensive research into the Chicago drone laws, and they are confusing as hell. But the 107 has nothing to do with the ability to fly in Chicago, only, like everywhere else, to go above 400' AGL with restrictions. You will note that (strangely) the ordinance refers to recreational purposes only. In a bizarre Chicago-like manner, it does not mention the ability to get a permit, often issued through or by referral of the Chicago film office. Commercial permits can be obtained, for activities that, for a fee, can involved traffic management, or a different level of commercial permit that does not. One would think that the commercial application would be noted in the ordinance. But the guys that make this ? up political hacks at best (on a good day).

I went so far as to call the Alderman of the downtown ward, who referred me to someone (I forget the office) who happened to be a pilot and basically said that I'd be ok to fly, but that the Park District has it's own command structure. I have yet to contact anyone at the Park District, but at some point I'll make the attempt. In the meantime, here is is the Chicago Municipal Code for UAV's...

107.29 for section 352
Chicago municipal Code 10-36-400(b)(2),
Chicago Drone Ordinance Recap

(1) No person shall operate a drone in city airspace except for hobby or recreational purposes only and in conformity with this section

(2) directly over any person who is not involved in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft, without such person’s consent

(3) over property that the operator does not own, without the property owner’s consent, and subject to any restrictions that the property owner may place on such operation

(4) at an altitude higher than 400 feet above ground level

(5) outside the visual line of sight of the operator. The operator shall use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to maintain at all times an unobstructed view of the small unmanned aircraft, without the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, goggles designed to provide a “first person view” from the model or similar devices

(6) within five miles of any airport

(7) in a manner that interferes with, or fails to give way to, any manned aircraft

(8) between dusk and dawn

(9) whenever weather conditions impair the operator’s ability to operate the small unmanned aircraft safely

(10) over any open-air assembly unit, school, schoolyard, hospital, place of worship, prison or police station, without the property owner’s consent, and subject to any restrictions that the property owner may place on such operation

(11) within 500 feet of any water intake facility or any electric generating facility, sub-station or control center, or within 100 feet of any electric transmission facility, or within 25 feet of any electric distribution facility or of any overhead wire, cable, conveyor or similar equipment for the transmission of sounds or signal, or of heat, light or power, or data, upon or along any public way within the city, without the facility or equipment owner’s consent, and subject to any restrictions that the facility or equipment owner may place on such operation

(12) for the purpose of conducting surveillance, unless expressly permitted by law

(13) while under the influence of alcohol, or other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or compounds or any combination thereof, as those terms are defined in 625 ILCS 5/11-501, as amended

(14) that is equipped with a firearm or other weapon

(15) with intent to use such small unmaimed aircraft or anything attached to it to cause harm to persons or property

(16) in a reckless or careless manner

(17) in violation of any Federal or State law

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143