DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 vs. Original Mavic Pro - Considering a change

tracer bullet

Reactions
Greetings. I've searched and read what I can find, but the last time this was asked was quite a few months ago and maybe things have changed?

I currently own an original Mavic Pro, and have enjoyed it since shortly after it first came out. But I find myself not using it as often as I'd like, primarily due to its size. It takes decent luggage space as far as travelling with it goes, and it's also of course readily seen by anyone nearby which isn't always the greatest. I do NOT fly over people, highways, or anywhere forbidden where I'm trying to be discreet. I would just prefer not to open it up next to a field and have people thinking I'm up to no good - and it seems that the size of the drone and people's perceptions of it tend to go together (a small one is some dork's toy, a bigger one looks somehow dangerous).

So I'm enamored by the Mini 2's size. I'm wondering if there are any significant reasons not to change over to the smaller drone? It appears to be as capable or more so in every way - flight time, range (which I don't push anyhow), video quality, size and weight... Supposedly it's as stable in the air, per DJI anyhow. Am I missing anything other than the simple cost of a new drone vs. what I can sell my current drone for?

Any insight appreciated.

There are other DJI products to choose from.
I’m not impressed with the mini line at all after having the first mini that came out. Had the dreaded prop strike issue. The new air2s may be worth a look.

I have been looking at the Air 2 as well, and saw the S coming out. But though it is smaller, I'm not sure it's worth the swap. It's much smaller than the Mavic 2, but not much smaller than my original.

I'm not against it, definitely open here, just not sure the difference is "worth it". Wish it was easier to get my hands on one for a test drive.

The Mini 2 is fantastic.... handles wind well, has a very long range, great camera and video footage. Batteries are reasonably priced. If you want a small drone with a small price tag.... it is the best you can buy.

Its one limitation is the lack of collision sensors..... I use common sense instead and have it insured in case my common sense gives out. The low price tag makes me more confident to use it in tight spaces where I won't take my sensor equipped Mavic 2.

Hi Tracer. We only fly for work and our standards are high. We have mainly used the Phantom 4 Pro Plus, which is a superb drone. Compared to the rest of our equipment, we have found it portable for overseas assignments. That said, we got the Mini 2 in December last year for those times when we have to travel ultra light. And it's a great drone, with very decent output, and it flies incredibly well. We have no regrets whatsoever.

I fully support what Saladshooter has said above about how it handles wind - compared to what others reported about its predecessor, the Mini 1.

So, yes, I'd get it. The small size and light weight is a clear advantage - whether or not you're concerned about how it has the least regulatory requirements in many countries (another advantage).

I recently got the mini 2 after owning the original Mavic - I also concur with the previous posts, its incredible what you get especially if weight limit, registration etc is a concern. Anything else apart from the mini 2 will change categories in 2023 here so I wouldnt purchase anything bigger at the moment as its future is unclear and it could mean I may not fly it in the city, above crowds etc while the mini 2 will remain allowed as it wont change its category ...

I have seen the air 2S as well but primarily unclear situation on the restrictions or actually clear view on it and knowing its obsolete for what I would want it in 2023 prevented me from waiting and buying the air 2S - so far now regrets with the mini 2 and also positive surprises in other areas ... as usual depends what you want it for and what your requirements, desires are.

Thanks everyone, great input.

Camera - Honestly it's 2ndary. I thought about getting a Pro 2 but when I realized it was a bigger drone I avoided it. I want decent pictures, of course, they are great to look at and share, but I don't really pixel peep and if they aren't perfect it's actually fine with me. I'm expecting approximately the same quality given the size and pixels of each's camera.

Sensors - I mostly fly in open spaces with nothing nearby, but will admit the sensors saved me with the Pro once around an empty (of people) construction area where I avoided hitting a dangling pipe. Good note, I'll keep this one in mind. You don't need collision avoidance until you do. Price to replace or repair is a factor in helping with that.

Wind - was a concern, but DJI's gimbles are so good yeah I'm sure it handles it. I don't fly on windy days, I check before I leave the house and just save flights for a different day if it looks rough. I'll keep a closer eye on it I think, just in case, for a while but good to know I won't have to drastically change my thresholds on it. I'm sure it'll yell at me if needed just like the Pro does.

The weight is interesting. I'm ALL for the lighter weight and size, as noted originally, for travel especially. Hoping it'll open up my use because I'll take it with me more often and it won't be such an event of sorts. The 249g thing though - I think I do a good job not worrying about the rules from the standpoint of - knowing them and following them. So it hopefully shouldn't change anything for me. That said, yeah... not worrying about it is kind of nice especially if they continue to change.

I think I'm sold.

I sold my Mavic Pro Platinum after I figured out the Mini 2 is so versatile, nimble, quick to launch & east to carry. I live in a rural area. The Mini 2 handles every mission I send it on superbly, whether to check water, calves, gates, creek level, security, find a cow, check plantings or fly for pleasure. For me, for now, it's the best drone I've used. On my wish list are removable cameras. I'd love a thermal vision to find where the wild hogs are after dark.

Greetings. I've searched and read what I can find, but the last time this was asked was quite a few months ago and maybe things have changed?

I currently own an original Mavic Pro, and have enjoyed it since shortly after it first came out. But I find myself not using it as often as I'd like, primarily due to its size. It takes decent luggage space as far as travelling with it goes, and it's also of course readily seen by anyone nearby which isn't always the greatest. I do NOT fly over people, highways, or anywhere forbidden where I'm trying to be discreet. I would just prefer not to open it up next to a field and have people thinking I'm up to no good - and it seems that the size of the drone and people's perceptions of it tend to go together (a small one is some dork's toy, a bigger one looks somehow dangerous).

So I'm enamored by the Mini 2's size. I'm wondering if there are any significant reasons not to change over to the smaller drone? It appears to be as capable or more so in every way - flight time, range (which I don't push anyhow), video quality, size and weight... Supposedly it's as stable in the air, per DJI anyhow. Am I missing anything other than the simple cost of a new drone vs. what I can sell my current drone for?

Any insight appreciated.
I love the mini 2 so much that i bought two of them..Very affordable and a joy to buzz around with..Also love the fact that they are so stealthy..I say go for it

I fly mostly for fun and like to fly freestyle ie making turns in flight and flying backwards etc. I have most of DJI drones and find the Mavic Pro is the best. Seamless turns in sport mode are effortless. From the ground you can hardly see the turns being made. Superior to both Minis, Air 2 and Evo. I fly it with the Crystal Sky. I won’t sell my MP1. All other drones seem jerky compared to the old Pro.
can’t explain why.

Reactions: tracer bullet
I’ve owned all the Phantoms, Mavics (Pro, Air, Minis 1 and 2, and I enjoy the Mini 2 the best. Maybe not the strongest flyer in a stiff breeze but very good, optics and video are very good, flight life and distance is very good, stealth aspect is excellent, and flying under the 250 gram wire is AMAZING considering the above. It would be nice to have Litchi working with it, but thats a small teatime. And if you lose a mini2, NBD! lose a magic air 2, ouch....

Any insight appreciated.
I still fly mine and it’s still hard to see after it takes off! It’s my long distance video Drone now, because if something happens to it, I still have 3 more! Life is good! ?

Reactions: tracer bullet
hardly ever fly my Air anymore, never mind the pro, the Mini 2 is sooo good. Almost funny to think about the big old Phantoms, they were like setting off a drone awareness alarm! Mini 2 is tiny, and you are right, pretty much a dork’s toy to bystanders. One day we’ll have quieter props (already pretty good!) and it will truly be the best drone ever.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803